Dublin sink hole leads to ancient brothel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dublin sink hole leads to ancient brothel

A nineteenth century brothel is suspected to have caused traffic chaos in Dublin after a hole opened in the middle of a city street.

Dublin's Dame Street was brought to a halt on Tuesday when a two-foot section of the road collapsed.

A six-feet-deep hole appeared at the George's Street junction, around 100 metres from the Olympia Theatre, and was cordoned off from traffic and pedestrians by council workers.

Last night, historian Gerry Cooley told the Herald that an old cellar discovered in the hole could be part of a "long-rumoured tunnel" used by 19th century politicians to go to brothels.

"The King of England closed down the House of Commons and House of Lords in Ireland during the time when politicians were spending too much time in the brothels," Mr Cooley said.

"They built the tunnels from what is now the Bank of Ireland on College Green. If you dig deep enough anywhere around that area you are likely to find medieval artefacts or a part of the old 17th-to-19th century Ireland.

"It could be the remnants of the residence of Chichester, or the tunnels which politicians would use to sneak out to the pubs or gentleman's clubs," Mr Cooley said.

Dublin City Council confirmed that the hole contained "an old cellar" and was being filled in with concrete.

Dame Street is expected to be fully reopened today.

Evening Herald 2nd April 2015

An original wench trench eh.......
    We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

Have to get the brothel inspector to have a look at that.
      I google because I'm not young enough to know everything.
      Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit

Comment

Originally posted by jembo View Post
        Have to get the brothel inspector to have a look at that.
        Straight down to Dollies
        I'm a Freeborn Man of the Travellin' People

Comment

The ladies felt their wrongs, were righted
          as their visitors came there unsighted
          they did not make a sound
          as they went underground
          and, there's no doubt they went home delighted
          Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

The Men's reputation now slighted
            They all got together, united
            With the tunnels explored
            And, law making ignored
            What they found, well...it got them excited..
            Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tommie View Post
              Straight down to Dollies
              Full of old tools an old tool boxes.........

Comment

brotal inspector,

Straight down to Dollies
                sorry, I am otherwise engaged, I will see what I can do later, regards, dunwack.

Comment

Originally posted by dunwack View Post
                  sorry, I am otherwise engaged, I will see what I can do later, regards, dunwack.
                  Stand out of the way or yil get a smack of a pun on this thread

Comment

Straight down to Dollies
                    Good dit here From CHTM.....One of the City’s most famous ‘kips’ was the Cafe Continental at 1a Bolton Street near the corner of Capel Street which was in operation from the 1930s (?) to the mid 1960s. It was run by the legendary madam ‘Dolly’ Fawcett (often misspelled as ‘Fossett’ or ‘Fosset’). Annie Elizabeth, originally from Wicklow, married William Fawcett who was rumoured to have been a former Dublin Metropolitan Police (DMP) officer from the North who was discharged because of his relationship with her.

The Fawcett family also ran another ‘kip’ called the Cozy Kitchen on nearby North King Street.

Ostensibly an innocent late-night cafe, the Cafe Continental was a haven for late-night revelers who often carried clandestine “Baby Powers,” or miniature bottles of whiskey, which they tipped into their cups of coffee. ‘Dolly’ also served up ‘red biddy’ (mixture of red wine and methanol), poitín and water-down whiskey.

It was a popular place for ladies of the night and they’d often find clients there. So Dolly Fawcett’s would be better described as a ‘prostitute pick up-place’ as opposed to a brothel in the traditional sense of the word.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                    X