Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Real-time' arrival screens to be placed at bus stops

Hi All

As there is no Transport forum up here like in Dublin.ie I am posting the following article from the irish times on here.

OLIVIA KELLY

THE NATIONAL Transport Authority is to provide €5 million this year for the introduction of “real-time” arrival information on electronic display screens at bus stops throughout Dublin.

Dublin City Council, which has responsibility for the roll-out of the long-awaited service, said it is currently assessing tenders from a number of contractors to provide and install the technology at stops.

The council had initially intended to have real-time passenger information available at bus stops when quality bus corridors (QBCs) were introduced in the late 1990s. However, the technology was never installed on buses to allow the system to be adopted. The real-time system uses satellite technology to identify the position of approaching buses and update the arrival time shown on an electronic display unit. To work, the system requires complementary technology to be installed on buses.

Dublin Bus was granted €10 million in 2006 under the Government’s Transport 21 investment programme for the roll-out of an automatic vehicle location system (AVLS) on its bus fleet. A spokeswoman for the company said the system is currently on trial on the route 123 from Marino to Walkinstown, and will be in place on all routes from Summerhill Garage in the coming months. Dublin Bus expects the system to be fully operational by the end of the year. The AVLS system will also allow passengers to receive bus arrival times by text or on the internet, the spokeswoman said.

The council has also budgeted €700,000 this year for the implementation of traffic signal priority for buses at junctions. It said all of the money was to be “funded externally”.

This traffic management system will also make use of the Dublin Bus AVLS technology to determine the location of a bus and what type of traffic light priority it requires. Where traffic carrying buses is backing up approaching a particular junction, the light can be changed to green.

The system also had a “journey detector” function which works by recording the time a bus takes to pass between different points on its route. If the time exceeds a particular number of minutes, a decision can be made to give the bus priority at upcoming junctions.
    UP THE DUBS!!!

Originally posted by Suzieq View Post
    Hi All

As there is no Transport forum up here like in Dublin.ie I am posting the following article from the irish times on here.

OLIVIA KELLY

THE NATIONAL Transport Authority is to provide €5 million this year for the introduction of “real-time” arrival information on electronic display screens at bus stops throughout Dublin.

Dublin City Council, which has responsibility for the roll-out of the long-awaited service, said it is currently assessing tenders from a number of contractors to provide and install the technology at stops.

The council had initially intended to have real-time passenger information available at bus stops when quality bus corridors (QBCs) were introduced in the late 1990s. However, the technology was never installed on buses to allow the system to be adopted. The real-time system uses satellite technology to identify the position of approaching buses and update the arrival time shown on an electronic display unit. To work, the system requires complementary technology to be installed on buses.

Dublin Bus was granted €10 million in 2006 under the Government’s Transport 21 investment programme for the roll-out of an automatic vehicle location system (AVLS) on its bus fleet. A spokeswoman for the company said the system is currently on trial on the route 123 from Marino to Walkinstown, and will be in place on all routes from Summerhill Garage in the coming months. Dublin Bus expects the system to be fully operational by the end of the year. The AVLS system will also allow passengers to receive bus arrival times by text or on the internet, the spokeswoman said.

The council has also budgeted €700,000 this year for the implementation of traffic signal priority for buses at junctions. It said all of the money was to be “funded externally”.

This traffic management system will also make use of the Dublin Bus AVLS technology to determine the location of a bus and what type of traffic light priority it requires. Where traffic carrying buses is backing up approaching a particular junction, the light can be changed to green.

The system also had a “journey detector” function which works by recording the time a bus takes to pass between different points on its route. If the time exceeds a particular number of minutes, a decision can be made to give the bus priority at upcoming junctions.
    Its about time that these real time arrival screens are placed at bus stops all around the city. I've seen loads of them in Belfast, the UK & in other countries such as Spain, Sweden etc - very handy for knowing how long you have to wait til the next bus is due etc.

These real time arrival screens are in most train & LUAS stations & they're handy too.
    UP THE DUBS!!!

Comment

well imagine the cost suzie...but aside from that would they survive a day even out on the streets?

Comment

We have those in a few places here....gotta love them.
        I believe in.......

Comment

Originally posted by Mykidsmom View Post
          well imagine the cost suzie...but aside from that would they survive a day even out on the streets?
          This is what the Luas ones are like and they seem to survive alright, Helen.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Bang Bang View Post
            This is what the Luas ones are like and they seem to survive alright, Helen.
            Great example of a realtime arrival screen from the Luas. It would be interesting what these lookk like in your country compared to dublin.
            UP THE DUBS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Suzieq View Post
              Hi All

OLIVIA KELLY

We have them here but the busses still come whenever the drivers see fit

Comment

Originally posted by Red Biddy View Post
                We have them here but the busses still come whenever the drivers see fit
                I know as I came across them in Guildford a few years ago - the buses more or less came when expected. Did not really use the buses in London as we tended to use the tube or trains on our travels.
                UP THE DUBS!!!

Comment

Wouldn't it be better if they had real time arrival buses instead?
                  Such is life - Ned Kelly

Comment

I notice over the past few weeks the buses are getting better and closer to arrival times

Comment

Originally posted by Red Biddy View Post
                      I notice over the past few weeks the buses are getting better and closer to arrival times
                      I must say that on my route they still travel in convoys. I see people at a bus stop almost facing my house waiting for an age for a bus that doesn't show up.... then two and even three of them come into view together.
                      'Never look down on a person unless you're helping them up'.

Comment

I was on 4 different busses to-day and they all arrived and departed almost to the minute advertised. It has taken time but it seems to be getting there.

Comment

Originally posted by Riposte
                          Do you use the buses in Dublin yourself Mykidsmum?
                          is that Dublin Ontario Riposte???? lol

Comment

Originally posted by Riposte
                            Do you use the buses in Dublin yourself Mykidsmum?
                            I did when i lived there...but i very seldom use public transportation here in toronto..but our time schedule for buses and trains is almost always on track.....

the last time i was in dublin/ireland i noticed a lot of vandalism which is why i wondered if these machines would even survive..., and i also was reminded of the dreadful waits we used have when i lived there.......as rashers said the buses came in convoys...then none for ages......i didnt think they even had a schedule lol...

but that was 3 years ago and now people tell me the schedule is semi adhered too.....but ya know what....i doubt it somehow although id like to think it was better lol...

Comment

Hi riposte Im very sad you had to wait on buses for 60 years....its a bad state of affairs that nothing improved...i waited on them in dublin for 30 years...then every time i went back i still frickin waited..but your right..much of it could have been due to traffic congestion..i sorta doubt it though it was all due to this cos i grew up with the terminus for the 22 bus as it was at the time right outside my front door...and was aware of the tea breaks, bathroom breaks smoking breaks and delays just to socialize....many times i sat in a bus way past the departure time while the driver/conductor chatted with the crew from the bus due out behind them..of course both buses would leave together...

sooooooo may i ask a question...why would you think you need a schedule screen when as you say the buses are never on time...maybe tv screens with news or travel progams would serve the purpose better and give you some amusement while you wait......and hey i hope your not discriminating against me cos i dont daily use your transportation....your transportation system is my transportation system...last time i looked at my passport it said IRISH

Comment

Working...
                              X