Hector Grey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hector Grey

I just had a cryptic about Hector Grey. I can't remember much about him, where his shop was.I read he had a warehouse that burnt down full of presents for Christmas. So how much do we know about Hector.?
    today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

Originally posted by silver spoon View Post
    I just had a cryptic about Hector Grey. I can't remember much about him, where his shop was.I read he had a warehouse that burnt down full of presents for Christmas. So how much do we know about Hector.?
    Nothing..though I sat next to him on the Holyhead/Dublin crossing April 1964..

Interesting conversation if I was sober enough to remember it.....I fell asleep after being awake for nearly two days...And full of NAAFI Brandy....
    Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

"Hector Grey was born in Scotland as Alexander Scott . Moving to Ireland he used the name Hector Grey when dealing as a turf advisor at the city race tracks. Hector Grey was the name of an Australian Jockey, which Alex 'borrowed'.

He was to set up business in Dublin, trading bric a brac, purchased in Hong Kong and Taiwan. Apparently he had 'the gift of the gab' which showed in his sales spiels. He could probably have "sold snow to the eskimoes"!

Even before Sunday trading was legalised, he would work on 'The Lords Day' . Standing outside his shop at No6, Upper Liffey Street, enticing passers by into his Emporium..

This shop is no longer here. However, there are still plenty of places to buy 'tat' in Dublin.

Some articles have stated that Hector was the Grandfather of Ali Hewson (nee Stewart) who married her childhood sweetheart Paul Hewson, who is better known as Bono - lead singer of Dublins' U2.) but others dispute this." - Source - The All Electric Interweb
      Attached Files

Comment

Hector's Sunday morning market outside the Wollen Mills on Liffey Street
        Attached Files

Comment

Great info..I read that his warehouse was burnt down, is this fact, and if so where was it.?

Comment

The warehouse was located in Donaghmede and it went on fire sometime around the late 70s if I can remember correctly.

Comment

He sold outdoor toys as they were always broke before you got them home

Comment

I watched a dublin video on U tube, and he was on it along with another trader who was selling small black and white tv's for 75 pounds, it was probably a bargain then, also knicks and knacks.

Comment

Hector Grey (Ireland) Limited is still an active company.....it has been trading for 58 years. Main activity of the company is described as..... Repair of Watches, Clocks and Jewellery.

Comment

barefoot..where is the business situated.?

Comment

Originally posted by silver spoon View Post
                      barefoot..where is the business situated.?
                      Right in the middle of a Tax avoidance scheme....?

Comment

Originally posted by barefoot View Post
                        Hector Grey (Ireland) Limited is still an active company.....it has been trading for 58 years. Main activity of the company is described as..... Repair of Watches, Clocks and Jewellery.
                        Hector Grey (Ireland) Limited was set up on Fri the 19th of Oct 1956 in Dublin 2. Their current status is Normal. The company's current directors Robert Scott, Alexander Scott, Donald Scott, Beatrice Stewart and Florence Dexter have been the director of 1 other Irish company between them. Hector Grey (Ireland) Limited has 5 shareholders.

Registered Address:4th Floor,
                        Harmony Court,
                        Harmony Row,
                        Dublin 2.

Info HERE.
                        'Never look down on a person unless you're helping them up'.

Comment

Originally posted by Rashers View Post
                          Hector Grey (Ireland) Limited was set up on Fri the 19th of Oct 1956 in Dublin 2. Their current status is Normal. The company's current directors Robert Scott, Alexander Scott, Donald Scott, Beatrice Stewart and Florence Dexter have been the director of 1 other Irish company between them. Hector Grey (Ireland) Limited has 5 shareholders.

Registered Address:4th Floor,
                          Harmony Court,
                          Harmony Row,
                          Dublin 2.

Info HERE.
                          It said he started in 1956 but I remember going down there well before that I reckon the Da brought me there when I was 8 or 9yr old. That would be in 1949/50 also on Sunday Morning I think it was on a stall across the road by the Quays. It was great to get our little box of Soldiers or Wind up Cars all the cheapest in Dublin.

Comment

The Company was registered in 1956....He could trade for years before that ....Without a Company address...

Comment

Working...
                            X