Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New post codes

Find your new post code here...

Eircode will help the public, businesses and public bodies to locate every individual address in the State. Visit today to learn more.

I just checked my sister's address in Dublin. They have codes for the houses on either side of her's but not her's. I'm sure she is not the only omission as there are 7 others missing on her small cul-de-sac alone. . This is going to be a long and painful process.
    Last edited by Hagar; 13-07-2015, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hagar View Post
      I just checked my sister's address in Dublin. They have codes for the houses on either side of her's but not her's. I'm sure she is not the only omission as there are 7 others missing on her small cul-de-sac alone. . This is going to be a long and painful process.
      Agreed Hagar....just heard a radio programme.....whereby several whole streets are missing......mmmmmm makes one think!!
      It is what it is.

Comment

At one stage I was only a number , now i'm also a letter .
        Bar code me and be done with it ...

Comment

Originally posted by barefoot View Post
          Find your new post code here...

https://finder.eircode.ie/#/
          Thanks for the information whilst searching for my Brothers code just found out Iv been putting the wrong Dublin Code for years .He is Dublin 11 I had put Dublin 9 . Ah well he always seem to get his birthday cards.

Comment

is there a huge slow down of mail deliveries now predicted?

Comment

I wouldn't think so, nobody will use them. It took Britain 15 years to get their system fully operational. Even longer for full public acceptance.
              Last edited by Hagar; 13-07-2015, 06:17 PM. Reason: typos, always typos.

Comment

mail in ireland already seems to be very slow..ive noticed snail mail getting to OZ from canada faster than to ireland

Comment

Originally posted by Hagar View Post
                  I wouldn't think so, nobody will use them. It took Britain 15 years to get their system fully operational. Even longer for full public acceptance.

Part of that was the reluctance of the postal workers to operate the system...

Public acceptance was only forthcoming when they realised it was quicker....

business certainly took it up....

all in all it is a great idea......Getting a payslip through the post for most of my life, I cannot remember ever not getting it the next day.....with the postcode system....
                  Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

I think it's much better too, and doesn't it make using Satnav easier too? (Not a driver myself so not sure.)

Comment

do not think sat nav will recognise them and google will also not recognise them, 27 million for a random set of codes that no one needs to use??

Comment

Originally posted by bigby View Post
                        do not think sat nav will recognise them and google will also not recognise them, 27 million for a random set of codes that no one needs to use??
                        So what's the point then? Surely eventually they'll be used the same way as they are here?

Comment

2.2m homes and businesses across the country will be receive their new code in the post in the coming weeks.

Every household will be notified of their Eircode, no one needs to apply for it. Current postcodes like Dublin 1 becoming D01, while Galway gets H.

The Eircode system will be optional, so homes do not have to use their codes if they do not want to.

The new postcodes will not eliminate any existing addresses.

The Eircode website is now live, and there is a limit of 15 searches a day for people to look up addresses.

Among the chief issues with the system are:
                          Each code that is generated for each address is random, meaning the code for adjacent properties bear no relation to each other.

The Irish Fire and Emergency Services Association have warned the random nature of the codes could “cost lives” as the random design cannot be learned and are not predictable so that emergency services can find localities easily from memory.

Many have warned that an error in relating the code could go unnoticed and send emergency services to the wrong location.

Companies such as FedEx, DHL, UPS, Pallet Express, and BOC Ireland have all publicly declared that they will not use Eircode due to its design. They said that Eircode provides the longitude and latitude of an address but that this has already been available to the postal delivery sector for more than two decades.

Up to 50,000 placements are inaccurate or completely missing from the system because they are in the Irish language.

Eircode does not work with Google Maps or sat nav systems.

As Ireland’s first national post code service Eircode launches, every single home and business in the country will get its own seven-digit code.

Comment

so who got the 27 million?

Comment

Thanks Bigby....... seems to be totally pointless then!

Comment

Working...
                              X