This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Closing Threads

I don't know about anyone else but I'm getting pretty sick of this. Every time the mods think things are getting a little heated on here they close the thread, stifling our freedom of speech as members. As far as I can see on the last closed thread (The end of the line) a couple of posters were having a bit of a barney. Nothing really bad was said as far as I can see. If it had been the thread would have been removed altogether. With regard to the incidents of the last few days, the focus now seems to have shifted from Pauline Fitz to DTW and whether, to put it simply, he's a good guy or an out-and-out villain. We have one camp claiming he's the victim of a plot against him, of selective moderation, of being punished when it was he himself who was the victim. The other camp keep bringing up the fact that DTW had been banned a number of times (irrelevant imo) and stating that they "know him" and he deserved what he got. They also keep dropping hints that the rest of us don't know the full story, the implication being that if we did know the full story we would agree with them. I would like to know the full story so go on, tell us instead of dropping hints. (I note that the negative comments made about DTW on this thread have been left in situ, which would suggest that selective moderation is indeed a fact on this forum.) I know DTW can be impetuous and often won't let things go when it would be in his best interests to do so. However I've always liked DTW as a person and believe he makes a great contribution to this forum. I also believe he's been treated very badly on this occasion. I am aware that this post will probably be removed and if this thread takes off it will no doubt be closed by a moderation team that likes to keep things to itself and stifles open discussion.
    Last edited by KatieMorag; 26-02-2016, 09:23 AM.

Originally posted by KatieMorag View Post
    I don't know about anyone else but I'm getting pretty sick of this. Every time the mods think things are getting a little heated on here they close the thread, stifling our freedom of speech as members. As far as I can see on the last closed thread (The end of the line) a couple of posters were having a bit of a barney. Nothing really bad was said as far as I can see. If it had been the thread would have been removed altogether. With regard to the incidents of the last few days, the focus now seems to have shifted from Pauline Fitz to DTW and whether, to put it simply, he's a good guy or an out-and-out villain. We have one camp claiming he's the victim of a plot against him, of selective moderation, of being punished when it was he himself who was the victim. The other camp keep bringing up the fact that DTW had been banned a number of times (irrelevant imo) and stating that they "know him" and he deserved what he got. They also keep dropping hints that the rest of us don't know the full story, the implication being that if we did know the full story we would agree with them. I would like to know the full story so go on, tell us instead of dropping hints. (I note that the negative comments made about DTW on this thread have been left in situ, which would suggest that selective moderation is indeed a fact on this forum.) I know DTW can be impetuous and often won't let things go when it would be in his best interests to do so. However I've always liked DTW as a person and believe he makes a great contribution to this forum. I also believe he's been treated very badly on this occasion. I am aware that this post will probably be removed and if this thread takes of it will no doubt be closed by a moderation team that likes to keep things to itself and stifles open discussion.
    I fully agree with what you are saying km. it sometimes makes me feel I am in North Korea and Kim is coming to get me. As regards the hints about 'not knowing the full story' I say they should put or shut up. If they know something that we don't then out with it and stop trying to influence others by these remarks.
    I google because I'm not young enough to know everything.
    Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit

Comment

Great post Katie...

Comment

Originally posted by KatieMorag View Post
        I don't know about anyone else but I'm getting pretty sick of this. Every time the mods think things are getting a little heated on here they close the thread, stifling our freedom of speech as members. As far as I can see on the last closed thread (The end of the line) a couple of posters were having a bit of a barney. Nothing really bad was said as far as I can see. If it had been the thread would have been removed altogether. With regard to the incidents of the last few days, the focus now seems to have shifted from Pauline Fitz to DTW and whether, to put it simply, he's a good guy or an out-and-out villain. We have one camp claiming he's the victim of a plot against him, of selective moderation, of being punished when it was he himself who was the victim. The other camp keep bringing up the fact that DTW had been banned a number of times (irrelevant imo) and stating that they "know him" and he deserved what he got. They also keep dropping hints that the rest of us don't know the full story, the implication being that if we did know the full story we would agree with them. I would like to know the full story so go on, tell us instead of dropping hints. (I note that the negative comments made about DTW on this thread have been left in situ, which would suggest that selective moderation is indeed a fact on this forum.) I know DTW can be impetuous and often won't let things go when it would be in his best interests to do so. However I've always liked DTW as a person and believe he makes a great contribution to this forum. I also believe he's been treated very badly on this occasion. I am aware that this post will probably be removed and if this thread takes off it will no doubt be closed by a moderation team that likes to keep things to itself and stifles open discussion.
        Good post KM. this business of locking threads with no explanation given by the mods is getting a bit much really. It means people can't reply to posts directed at them.
        UP THE DUBS!!!

Comment

absolutely bulls eye with this......great post katie..... and i had a thread removed last night...i hope everything saw it....

Comment

Originally posted by Mykidsmom View Post
            absolutely bulls eye with this......great post katie..... and i had a thread removed last night...i hope everything saw it....
            Helen; I did.

Comment

Originally posted by Mykidsmom View Post
              I saw it too Helen
              UP THE DUBS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Suzieq View Post
                I saw it too Helen
                Dang, I missed I... I totally agree with Katie, I defended the fact that DTW was referred to as a " cancer" , but my comment was removed, are we still in school? I thought this was an adult forum, apparently that's not the case, I think the mod who banned DTW had a personal problem with him, and couldn't wait to ban him. Btw aren't there more moderators than one on here?and if so why weren't they part of the discussion?

Comment

Originally posted by maire View Post
                  Dang, I missed I... I totally agree with Katie, I defended the fact that DTW was referred to as a " cancer" , but my comment was removed, are we still in school? I thought this was an adult forum, apparently that's not the case, I think the mod who banned DTW had a personal problem with him, and couldn't wait to ban him. Btw aren't there more moderators than one on here?and if so why weren't they part of the discussion?

The original offending post implied that Me and DTW were not entitled to be on this Forum......
                  The main two reasons stated were.....

We did not live in Ireland....

We Posted too much.......

That is ''unforgiveable'' at the least.......

That Post was supported by other Posters.....
                  Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Too busy washing duvets and looking at the night sky if you ask me.
                    I google because I'm not young enough to know everything.
                    Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit

Comment

Well said Katie.

Comment

In fairness to the owner Marie he didnt say that DTW was the cancer that was spreading throught the forum over the past few months.
                        I would welcome maybe boxman being more specific, but as the owner thats his prerogative.

Comment

All of the moderators have been active on these issues in the past week or so - it wasn't this moderator that deleted posts or locked threads last night - but I fully support those that did - personal attacks and swapping insults may indeed be a part of adult discourse but that doesn't mean we have to put up with them on an open and public forum.

I've rarely if ever discussed my own or other's moderating work on the open forum - there are good and sound reasons for that.

But , I will say that the action that was taken a few days ago was not because of 'personal problems' with any poster - it was taken to prevent anarchy on the threads and to protect the forum and it's membership. It was not taken lightly.
                          Everything is self-evident.

Comment

Originally posted by cogito View Post
                            All of the moderators have been active on these issues in the past week or so - it wasn't this moderator that deleted posts or locked threads last night - but I fully support those that did - personal attacks and swapping insults may indeed be a part of adult discourse but that doesn't mean we have to put up with them on an open and public forum.

I've rarely if ever discussed my own or other's moderating work on the open forum - there are good and sound reasons for that.

But , I will say that the action that was taken a few days ago was not because of 'personal problems' with any poster - it was taken to prevent anarchy on the threads and to protect the forum and it's membership. It was not taken lightly.
                            Thanks cogs for some feedback, but the action you mention was it the banning of a member, the deletion of posts and threads, the ignoring of members posting pms on open forum a banning offence in the past, or a combination of all?

Comment

Banning of a member.
                              Everything is self-evident.

Comment

Working...
                              X