Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pregnancy advice what you can or can't do.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pregnancy advice what you can or can't do.

Hi All

As some of you know I am now 7 months pregnant & am getting bigger by the day but all going well thank goodness. I only have the occasional two units of alcohol but have a good diet & exercise regularly to tbe best of my ability.

When I attended my ante natal classes last week we all got a list of things that we could or couldn't do til after our babies are born & one of them was 'do not do any hoovering at all'. Well this was news to me as hoovering the house didn't really bother me at all up to now. Have any of you women had similar advice while you were pregnant on what you could and couldn't do to ensure your well being & no strains caused by lifting etc.

Looking forward to hearing any stories you may have to share.
    UP THE DUBS!!!

is it your first pregnancy suzieq?

Comment

Apart from the physical stuff that you've no doubt already been advised about.... avoid stress. That's extremely important.
      'Never look down on a person unless you're helping them up'.

Comment

Originally posted by khaleduz View Post
        is it your first pregnancy suzieq?
        Yes Khal - and I am married nearly 2 years too!
        UP THE DUBS!!!

Comment

avoid sitting down for long period's of time bad for baby's digestion and your veins move around as often as you can .....

Comment

Originally posted by Deirdre Madden View Post
            avoid sitting down for long period's of time bad for baby's digestion and your veins move around as often as you can .....
            We were told not to stand for long periods either Dee!! I get up as much as I can in work & at home as I have to move about of course. I was shopping with my mum and sister a few weeks ago & had to lean against my nephew's buggy while waiting on them to come back from whatever they were doing & mum asked me was my back tired & it was but we only had a half day shopping as I had that time off work.

Hoping to go swimming this week too - I believe the breath stroke can be too hard on your back while pregnant so I swim as gently as I can whatever that means I will let you figure it out.
            UP THE DUBS!!!

Comment

I constanly wonder how any of us or our kids ever survived? There is such a load of shite told to parents in relation to pregnancy and raising children. Let common sense guide you Suzie and if in doubt ask someone witha couple of kids how to! Jeeze I was standing on a chair wallpapering 9 days before my daughter was born and as regards diet well most of what I ate when pregnant is now on the banned list! I wont even get into the "baby nurse" and how to and when you doe "whatever" with your baby.
              Relax hon, you'll be grand and so will your babe, the important thing is as Rashers says...Don't stress, you and you babe are individuals not statistics!

Comment

I agree womblemon
                worked in a factor, packed up my house and flew to South Africa 6 weeks before my due date on first child
                worked in a very busy shop on my feet all day until 2 days before my due date on second child
                i think it depends on the individual mom as to how much or how little can be done.

Comment

Originally posted by bigby View Post
                  I agree womblemon
                  worked in a factor, packed up my house and flew to South Africa 6 weeks before my due date on first child
                  worked in a very busy shop on my feet all day until 2 days before my due date on second child
                  i think it depends on the individual mom as to how much or how little can be done.
                  Might sneakily do the hoovering when barry is out on his bike or even when he is at work while I am bored at the start of my maternity leave - lOL!!! But shush - he won't see this as he doesn't bother looking at the forums at all!!
                  UP THE DUBS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Womblemum View Post
                    I wont even get into the "baby nurse" and how to and when you doe "whatever" with your baby.
                    Ah the baby nurse. The one who I remember used to tell my ma she was doing this and that all wrong. Then one day my da asked the 'nurse' how many kids she had. "I'm not married!" she replied... so da showed her the door and told her she could come back when she actually knew what she was talking about.

As Womble says... isn't it a wonder any of us survived at all? But survive we did... to grow up and do work that many of the kids of today would weaken just to think about.

So don't worry Suzie. When the time is right it will happen, and may you have a strong and healthy baby.

But I'll tell you one thing's for sure. If we men got pregnant we'd have found a cure for it by now.
                    'Never look down on a person unless you're helping them up'.

Comment

Originally posted by Rashers View Post
                      Ah the baby nurse. The one who I remember used to tell my ma she was doing this and that all wrong. Then one day my da asked the 'nurse' how many kids she had. "I'm not married!" she replied... so da showed her the door and told her she could come back when she actually knew what she was talking about.

As Womble says... isn't it a wonder any of us survived at all? But survive we did... to grow up and do work that many of the kids of today would weaken just to think about.

So don't worry Suzie. When the time is right it will happen, and may you have a strong and healthy baby.

But I'll tell you one thing's for sure. If we men got pregnant we'd have found a cure for it by now.
                      Well did you ever see the film Junior where scharznegger played a scientist who did get pregnant - that was soooo funny !!!!

Also Rashers, regarding diabetes in pregnancy I am glad to say there was no trace of it at all after doing my glucose tolerance test a few weeks ago, I did that test because there was a concern I may have had diabetes in gestation as my mam & sister had it in their pregnancies on one of their kids.

My hubby & i were just after having our dinner a while ago & the dog kept looking at my bump & we told him there was a puppy inside my belly - well a 2 legged one at that ! LOL!!
                      UP THE DUBS!!!

Comment

Suzie, i ate everything, ran and cycled, drank the odd rum and smoked up a storm on all my pregnancies..and as womble says, most of the stuff i ate was on the friggin banned list...pregnancy isnt an illness, do whatever you want in moderation and as long as you arent exerting yourself you'll be fine...your body will tell you if youve overdone something....then rest lol.. One thing though they wouldnt let me do thro the pregnancy was excessive stretching and almost had a fit when i was found hanging wallpaper..

Too funny about your dad rashers lol...but know what ...god love him i gotta agree with him.

Comment

[QUOTE=Womblemum;25936]Jeeze I was standing on a chair wallpapering 9 days before my daughter was born aQUOTE]

[QUOTE=Mykidsmom;25964] when i was found hanging wallpaper..

QUOTE]
                          Do ya think we are twins?????? seperated at birth????

Comment

Originally posted by Mykidsmom View Post
                            Suzie, i ate everything, ran and cycled, drank the odd rum and smoked up a storm on all my pregnancies..and as womble says, most of the stuff i ate was on the friggin banned list...pregnancy isnt an illness, do whatever you want in moderation and as long as you arent exerting yourself you'll be fine...your body will tell you if youve overdone something....then rest lol.. One thing though they wouldnt let me do thro the pregnancy was excessive stretching and almost had a fit when i was found hanging wallpaper..

Too funny about your dad rashers lol...but know what ...god love him i gotta agree with him.
                            Helen I run a littl but not when going for my bus to work - last time I ran for a bus was when hubby & I were coming home from my brother's house in Clondalkin jsut after Xmas, & also in January when he was struggling with a huge box I had to run ahead to make sure the bus didnt go on us. My mum also advised me not to run at all as you would be nearly out of breath at this stage. I find Guinness to be the best drink to have when pregnant as its got iron in it but I would limit myself to 2 glasses full stop.

Girls, wallpapering is not something you would get me and Bar doing - but I sure have stripped many a room of wallpaper with my parents over the years - and wait for it - one day I stripped a whole room of wallpaper from my mam's garage room & she was delighted - dad caught me on the act at first but he said OK go ahead with it & when my uncle came to do the stripping for my mam he was glad to have been saved the hassle and got down to installing a new floor & wallpapering the room for my mam.

As for exerting and stretching - well I told my hubby off for bending too much today when doing the housework as he's got an eye infection at the moment & its giving him grief. He was at the eye and ear last monday & may hae to go back in he morning as the infection has not cleared despite him being on drops and out of work all week. i said that smoking isn't helping his eye get better.
                            UP THE DUBS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Suzieq View Post
                              Hi All

As some of you know I am now 7 months pregnant & am getting bigger by the day but all going well thank goodness. I only have the occasional two units of alcohol but have a good diet & exercise regularly to tbe best of my ability.

When I attended my ante natal classes last week we all got a list of things that we could or couldn't do til after our babies are born & one of them was 'do not do any hoovering at all'. Well this was news to me as hoovering the house didn't really bother me at all up to now. Have any of you women had similar advice while you were pregnant on what you could and couldn't do to ensure your well being & no strains caused by lifting etc.

Looking forward to hearing any stories you may have to share.
                              Susie Good luck with your baby, you'll be fine.Sometimes I think it's common sense, and thats from a bloke,We have 4 children and Maria knew when she was tired to have a rest.

Days before each arrival she went into "nesting " where everything was spic and span.Are you getting those baby kicks as baby moves across your tummy ? I used to love that aspect.
                              today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

Comment

Working...
                              X