Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Songs That Should Be Irish - But Aren't.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Songs That Should Be Irish - But Aren't.......

Had to put this in Irish Music, as there's nowhere else to put it.

Maggie/Nora

Words by George Washington Johnson, a Canadian poet and schoolteacher. He wrote the words as a poem to his future wife, Maggie Clark. It was published in his 1864 book of poetry, "Maple Leaves." Sadly, Maggie, who suffered from Tuberculosis, died in 1865, aged only 23. A year later, Johnson's friend, James Austin Butterfield,set the words to music.

In 1926, Sean O'Casey took Butterfield's melody and changed the lyrics to produce the song "Nora", which Jack Clitheroe sings to his wife in "The Plough and the Stars." I guess that's why the song is thought of as being Irish.

This is Foster and Allen's version of "Maggie."

Last edited by KatieMorag; 03-06-2016, 02:00 AM.

"Come Back to Erin".........I remember having an old record at home with this on; I think it was called "Irish, Country Style." Anyway, the song was written by an Englishwoman, Charlotte Alington Barnard, AKA Claribel, born in Louth (no, not that one), Lincolnshire, in 1830.

This is John McCormack's version.

Comment

Katie; That's a beautiful melody. It makes me appreciate even more the little saint I married so long ago.

Comment

I'm sure I read somewhere that Danny Boy (lyrics) were written by a gentleman in Kent with no Irish connections...
        Everything is self-evident.

Comment

Originally posted by cogito View Post
          I'm sure I read somewhere that Danny Boy (lyrics) were written by a gentleman in Kent with no Irish connections...
          I wouldn't be surprised......will google it.

Comment

Here's what Wiki says.....Irish credentials okay so far......
            Last edited by KatieMorag; 03-06-2016, 04:29 AM.

Comment

[QUOTE=KatieMorag;407147]oo-er......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederic_Weatherlymms

Seems the "Danny Boy" lyrics were written by a bloke from Somerset.....Quinner might know him.......

Comment

Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER
                I'll Take You Home Again, Kathleen is a popular song written by Thomas P. Westendorf (German / American) in 1875.
                Dirty Old Town James Henry Miller, Salford UK.....aka Ewan MacColl.
                We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER
                  "When Irish Eyes Are Smiling" American.
                  Too-Ra-Loo-Ra-Loo-Ral: That's an Irish Lullaby American.

Comment

[QUOTE=KatieMorag;407148]
                    Originally posted by KatieMorag
                    oo-er......

Seems the "Danny Boy" lyrics were written by a bloke from Somerset.....Quinner might know him.......
                    Kath is going to see Jethro Tull with her brother in law tonight.......I believe he is from Cornwall.....

I do know four people who are actually from Somerset........None of them write songs.....

I know lots of people from Wiltshire, Bristol, Cardiff.....
                    Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

[QUOTE=KatieMorag;407148]
                      Originally posted by KatieMorag
                      oo-er......

Set to an Irish Air called ...."The Londonderry Air" ....with the first ever words by Edward Fitzsimmons published in 1814; "The Confession of Devorgilla".

What a complicated history........."The Londonderry Air" has.

So Danny Boy..... half n half ?.

Comment

[QUOTE=quinner;407172]
                        Originally posted by KatieMorag View Post
                        Kath is going to see Jethro Tull with her brother in law tonight.......I believe he is from Cornwall.....
                        I do know four people who are actually from Somerset........None of them write songs.....I know lots of people from Wiltshire, Bristol, Cardiff.....
                        Are you sure she didn't mean Jethro the Cornish Comic.....
                        Jethro Tull (Ian Anderson) was born in Scotland.

Comment

Kathleen Mavourneen, from Wikipedia:

"Kathleen Mavourneen" is a song written in 1837, composed by Frederick Crouch the father of famed Courtesan Cora Pearl with lyrics by Marion Crawford.[1] It was popular during the American Civil War. "Mavourneen" is a term of endearment derived from the Irish Gaelic mo mhuirnĂ­n, meaning "my beloved".

The Irish soprano Catherine Hayes (1818–1861)–the first Irish woman to sing at La Scala in Milan–learned "Kathleen Mavourneen" while training in Dublin. It became her signature tune during concerts, and she sang it for Queen Victoria and over 500 royal guests during a performance at Buckingham Palace in June 1849. "Kathleen Mavourneen" gained popularity with American audiences as a direct result of Hayes' international concert tours between 1851 and 1856.

The song plays a prominent role in Michael Shaara's American Civil War historical novel The Killer Angels and its film adaptation Gettysburg. Confederate Brigadier General Lewis A. Armistead recalls a dinner at the marital home of his best friend—the now-Union Major General Winfield Scott Hancock–at the U.S. Army garrison in Los Angeles, California in 1861, (at which time Armistead was a major and Hancock a captain) and that the song was sung there that night. This was the night before Armistead and several other Southern officers were to depart for the Confederacy, having resigned their US Army commissions. Armistead and Confederate Brigadier General Richard B. Garnett–who was also present at the dinner–go on to be killed and Hancock to be severely wounded as Armistead's and Garnett's brigades assault the position defended by Hancock's II Corps on Cemetery Ridge in Gettysburg during Pickett's Charge. During Gettysburg, "Kathleen Mavourneen" is sung once by an Irish tenor at the Confederate camp[2] and thereafter is used frequently as a theme in Randy Edelman's musical score for the film.

Several silent films were titled Kathleen Mavourneen, the first such drama being produced in 1906 starring Kitty O'Neil, Walter Griswoll and H.L. Bascomb. Other such silent films were produced in 1911, 1913 and 1919, the last of these starring Theda Bara. Two sound films with this title were produced, in 1930 and 1937. At the release of the 1919 film, Irish and Catholic groups protested not only the depiction of Ireland but the use of a Jewish actress for the leading role. Fox Film Corporation pulled the film after several movie-theater riots and bomb threats.

Crouch was a Londoner who emigrated to the US in 1849. I couldn't find any info on Marion Crawford..
                          Last edited by KatieMorag; 03-06-2016, 02:58 PM.

Comment

I'll Take You Home Again, Kathleen is a popular song written by Thomas P. Westendorf in 1875. In spite of its German-American origins it is thought to be an Irish song by millions around the world.

Comment

It's a Long Way to Tipperary
                              is a British music hall song written by Jack Judge and Henry James "Harry" Williams
                              The mind is everything. What you think you become.

Comment

Working...
                              X