The first ever motorised ambulance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The first ever motorised ambulance

The first ever motorised ambulances to replace horse-drawn vehicles were introduced during World War One. The idea came up when members of the Royal Automobile Club offered to place themselves and their cars at the disposal of the British Red Cros.
    Flanders Fields 14-18. 176,271 likes · 6,590 talking about this. Flanders Fields 14-18 is the official page from Visit Flanders to commemorate the First World War. More info: www.flandersfields1418.com
    Attached Files
    I google because I'm not young enough to know everything.
    Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit

Female crew. Do you know would they have been enlisted in the services or were they Red Cross volunteers ?
    Everything is self-evident.

Comment

Originally posted by cogito View Post
      Female crew. Do you know would they have been enlisted in the services or were they Red Cross volunteers ?
      British red Cross medics,civilian volunteers and non combatants but under military command.

Comment

Thanks. I had a grand uncle who was a stretcher bearer and medic on the Somme. Definitely part of the Army though... maybe RAMC ?

Comment

The Red Cross did everything from nursing and air raid duty to searching for missing people and transporting the wounded.

Our primary role was to help the naval and military medical services treat sick and wounded sailors and soldiers.
          Attached Files

Comment

BROTHERS IN ARMS
            Royal Automobile Club Volunteer Force 1914
            In August 1914 the British Expeditionary Force embarked for France and was considered the most professional army ever to have left these shores. Also on board one of the many vessels leaving, the SS Gloucester Castle, were twenty five civilian motorists and their cars, all members of the Royal Automobile Club. They had placed their services at the disposal of the B.E.F and were now destined to drive officers of the General Staff and Cavalry Division as required. Army Routine Orders advised - They are authorised to draw a daily rate of 10 francs per diem with effect from 23rd August for the use of their car in addition to free rations and petrol. The sum to be paid weekly in arrears by the Field Cashier on claims signed by a responsible officer of the branch of the Staff using the car. Branches were then to render to the Field Cashier a nominal roll of the owners of the cars employed by them showing the description and horse power of the car and will notify casualties as they occur - The drivers wore a khaki uniform with no badges other than a R.A.C Brassard on an armband. Not surprisingly some of them were to be suspected of being spies and were placed under arrest. They very quickly discovered that they had volunteered for journeys which could be fraught with danger. -

See more at: http://www.westernfrontassociation.c....K57W0e14.dpuf

Comment

Originally posted by jembo View Post
              The first ever motorised ambulances to replace horse-drawn vehicles were introduced during World War One. The idea came up when members of the Royal Automobile Club offered to place themselves and their cars at the disposal of the British Red Cros.
              https://www.facebook.com/FlandersFie...153[/ATTACH]8/
              Think Facebook may have jumped the gun a bit with their claim, Jembo.

This ambulance was in service in 1901 - and carried the mortally wounded President William McKinley to hospital following his assassination.

ambulance - 1901.jpg

The University at Buffalo Libraries digital collections encompass a wide variety of formats, including photographs, print materials, audio recordings, artworks, artifacts and other resources. Our digital collections are created to support the teaching and learning activities of UB faculty and students, enhance scholarship and research, and increase access to rare or fragile items that may be too delicate to be handled regularly by the public.

Comment

And this one was introduced in 1907 in the City Of London, seven years before WW1.

ambulance-city-london-police 1907.jpg

Comment

This is an extract from the Red Cross website and I think the F/B poster made a mistake in saying the first ever motorised ambulances to replace horse-drawn vehicles were introduced during World War One.

They should have said to transport the wounded.

Motorised ambulances
                  First World War motor ambulance
                  The first ever motorised ambulances to transport the wounded were used in the First World War. This was initiated on 12 September 1914 after a small meeting held at the Royal Automobile Club. A few members offered to place themselves and their cars at the disposal of the British Red Cross.
                  The motor ambulance department was established by the Red Cross, which resulted in 3,446 motor vehicles, including 2,171 motor ambulances, sent to various destinations by the end of the war. The Times Appeal, issued on 2 October 1914, was instrumental in raising funds for the provision of ambulances. Within three weeks, the Red Cross had sufficient funds to purchase 512 ambulances. The Red Cross bought practically every chassis in the country that was suitable for the purpose. There were additional appeals, the Dennis-Bayley Fund and Transport of Wounded Fund which helped maintain the upkeep of the vehicles and there were also a number of cars presented as gifts to the Red Cross.

Comment

Maybe they were thinking of military use..

Anyway - Dublin introduced it's first motorised ambulance in 1913...

ambulance dublin 1913.jpg

Comment

Well,there you go,we learn new something every day.

Overview of the History of Ambulances
                      The term ambulance comes from the Latin word ambulare which means to walk or move about which is a reference to early medical care where patients were moved by lifting or wheeling. This history of ambulances begins in ancient times with the use of carts to transport incurable patients by force. Ambulances were first used for emergency transport in 1487 by the Spanish although the more proper term is ambulance wagon. The word ambulance originally meant a moving hospital which follows an army in its movements. Later this term was referred to as field hospitals where ambulance wagons delivered patients. Perhaps it is sad state of human affairs that the history of ambulances follow the history of warfare. Many of the advances in medical care occurred during war.

Civil war ambulance crew
                      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                      X