PDA

View Full Version : Finglas forging ties with North Korea

Suzieq
23-08-2016, 03:16 PM
THE FINGLAS VILLAGE Renewal Partnership has written to officials in North Korea, asking if somewhere in the country would like to ‘twin’ with the Dublin village.
Sean Mooney, a representative from the partnership, told Kathryn Thomas on the Ray D’Arcy Show he has not yet heard back from North Korea.
“At this stage of the game I don’t think they will [reply], but that’s why I got in touch with yourselves, to see if I can push it a little bit further,” Mooney said.
Twin towns or cities are a form of legal or social agreement between areas to promote cultural and commercial ties.
Mooney defended the somewhat unusual proposal, saying it would provide a boost to Finglas.
“It would put Finglas on the map, that’s for sure, if they did accept.
It would put Finglas on the map in a positive light and that’s what we need and that’s what we want … It would be very, very interesting and away from the ordinary, to put it lightly.
When asked about the country’s questionable human rights record, Mooney said he agreed with Thomas’ description of it as “abysmal”.
‘Give these guys a chance’
However, he said “no one questions” the fact that places such as Tel Aviv and Beijing are twinned with other cities.
“The way I look at it is … give these guys a chance. We see what we’re shown, who’s to say that that’s what it is? I really don’t know. Give them a chance, see will they accept and we’ll go from there.
“As I say, Beijing is twinned with major cities all over the world and their human rights [record is] very, very similar.”
Mooney said Finglas was previously twinned with a town in Massachusetts, adding that this pairing was “very tame by comparison” and the Dublin village got “very little” benefit from it.

http://www.thejournal.ie/finglas-north-korea-2942032-Aug2016/

What do you all think of this??

Napper Tandy
23-08-2016, 03:42 PM
THE FINGLAS VILLAGE Renewal Partnership has written to officials in North Korea, asking if somewhere in the country would like to ‘twin’ with the Dublin village.
Sean Mooney, a representative from the partnership, told Kathryn Thomas on the Ray D’Arcy Show he has not yet heard back from North Korea.
“At this stage of the game I don’t think they will [reply], but that’s why I got in touch with yourselves, to see if I can push it a little bit further,” Mooney said.
Twin towns or cities are a form of legal or social agreement between areas to promote cultural and commercial ties.
Mooney defended the somewhat unusual proposal, saying it would provide a boost to Finglas.
“It would put Finglas on the map, that’s for sure, if they did accept.
It would put Finglas on the map in a positive light and that’s what we need and that’s what we want … It would be very, very interesting and away from the ordinary, to put it lightly.
When asked about the country’s questionable human rights record, Mooney said he agreed with Thomas’ description of it as “abysmal”.
‘Give these guys a chance’
However, he said “no one questions” the fact that places such as Tel Aviv and Beijing are twinned with other cities.
“The way I look at it is … give these guys a chance. We see what we’re shown, who’s to say that that’s what it is? I really don’t know. Give them a chance, see will they accept and we’ll go from there.
“As I say, Beijing is twinned with major cities all over the world and their human rights [record is] very, very similar.”
Mooney said Finglas was previously twinned with a town in Massachusetts, adding that this pairing was “very tame by comparison” and the Dublin village got “very little” benefit from it.

http://www.thejournal.ie/finglas-north-korea-2942032-Aug2016/

What do you all think of this??

Well they probably have alot in common

bojangles
23-08-2016, 04:47 PM
There is no country in the world with a human rights record as bad as NK . He is all over the place with his comparisons which leaves me to believe this man is not dealing with the full deck . What a ridiculous proposal .

Mykidsmom
23-08-2016, 05:05 PM
yea ......hes lost the plot i think.....mind you, ok i wont say what im thinking but you can imagine hahhahaa....why the hell north korea!!!!!! I can just see Kim Jong-un on holiday there having the photoshoot at the holy well.....having coffee in costa, and horseback riding thro the main drag lol........

Suzieq
23-08-2016, 05:15 PM
yea ......hes lost the plot i think.....mind you, ok i wont say what im thinking but you can imagine hahhahaa....why the hell north korea!!!!!! I can just see Kim Jong-un on holiday there having the photoshoot at the holy well.....having coffee in costa, and horseback riding thro the main drag lol........

Helen don't hold back say what you're really thinking - thats the idea of a forum discussion. Seen some posts about this subject on boards.ie earlier.

And could you imagine some North Koreans swimming in the Silver Spoon river in tolka valley??

jembo
23-08-2016, 07:37 PM
You'll know things are moving when the guys in Finglas start sporting Kim jong haircuts.:gnorsi:

Napper Tandy
23-08-2016, 07:49 PM
Who is the fellow that is proposing this? Is he some old Trot? Or one of those Republican fellows who did business with the North Koreans in the past? Or maybe he sent his kids to summer camp......

Joe.ie 2014

Back in our day we were brought to the Clara Lara Funpark…
According to a report from the Associated Press (and not the Waterford Whispers), “the Songdowon International Children's Camp reopened Tuesday for this year's flock of foreign campers — more than 300 young children and teenagers from Russia, China, Vietnam, Ireland and Tanzania.”

According to AP, the Songdowon International Children's Camp has been newly refurbished by North Korea's new leader, Kim Jong-un, and it now comes complete with a giant water slide, a private beach, video games and volleyball courts. It also features a big bronze statue of the late North Korean leaders Kim Il-sung and Kim Jong-il.

So what will the campers get up to during their stay and how much does it all cost? Well, “The campers spend the eight days cooking, swimming, boating and mingling with their North Korean peers. Though heavily subsidised by the government, the camp - plus a tour of Pyongyang - costs about $270 per foreign child.”

The camp has been operating for around 30-years and while it was originally intended to help strengthen relations with countries in the Communist or non-aligned world, officials now say they will accept youth from anywhere in the world.

Do you know anyone who has gone over to North Korea to attend the Songdowon International Children's Camp? If so, let us know…

Mykidsmom
23-08-2016, 08:28 PM
one of the towns we lived in here was twinned with a town in denmark...being honest it didnt impact us in any way...i think maybe once i remember the kids making gifts for a particular school in the other town...

But North korea.....ffs.....dont they know this is a complete dictatorship run by a mad man???

I did meet someone who escaped the camps there into south korea and ended up in the US Napper i dont ever think hes going to be normal to be honest his family were killed in front of his eyes in the camp ........I think they have Different camps to us ..

Jembo you almost killed me.......best laugh ive had all day.........the Haircuts lol

Napper Tandy
23-08-2016, 08:49 PM
one of the towns we lived in here was twinned with a town in denmark...being honest it didnt impact us in any way...i think maybe once i remember the kids making gifts for a particular school in the other town...

But North korea.....ffs.....dont they know this is a complete dictatorship run by a mad man???

I did meet someone who escaped the camps there into south korea and ended up in the US Napper i dont ever think hes going to be normal to be honest his family were killed in front of his eyes in the camp ........I think they have Different camps to us ..

Jembo you almost killed me.......best laugh ive had all day.........the Haircuts lol

http://cdn.emgn.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/emgn-north-korea-pic-2.jpg

quinner
23-08-2016, 08:56 PM
They don't believe in parallels.......

After the Korean war, the Allies wanted to exchange POW's quickly but the North Koreans wouldn't go home......

Mykidsmom
23-08-2016, 08:59 PM
hahahhaaa.......^5 love it

jembo
23-08-2016, 09:07 PM
Kim Jong-un orders North Korean men to copy his ‘ambitious’ hair-do and limit their locks to a maximum 2cm in length
Kim Jong-un warned North Korean men to copy is 'ambitious' hair style
Authorities have been warned to watch out for any 'capitalist' hair cuts
Barbers in Pyongyang are booming with men complying with the diktat
Women have to copy the bobbed hairstyle of Kim's wife Ri Sol-ju

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3335329/Kim-Jong-orders-North-Korean-men-copy-ambitious-hair-limit-locks-maximum-2cm-length.html#ixzz4IBg17IK6

Mykidsmom
23-08-2016, 09:13 PM
its not bad actually.....:taz::taz::taz::taz:

jembo
23-08-2016, 09:18 PM
its not bad actually.....:taz::taz::taz::taz:

Stick to baking cakes.:oops:

quinner
23-08-2016, 09:24 PM
The President of North Korea
has said..'I have got an idea'
'I will just say this once'
'you must copy my bonce'
'or the graveyard will end your career'....

pauline.fitz
24-08-2016, 11:03 AM
The NK have bought a green field in Finglas to set up a missile base there. They want to buy back gardens so that they can set up radar dishes out of sight.

Suzieq
24-08-2016, 11:47 AM
You'll know things are moving when the guys in Finglas start sporting Kim jong haircuts.:gnorsi:

:bigear::bigear::bigear::bigear::):):):):):hurray: :hurray::hurray:

Gas post Jembo.