Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mary Robinson- why such a big reputation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mary Robinson- why such a big reputation?

I know she was Ireland first female President but what has she actually done? Sure she went off to the UN but what did she actually do at the UN that worked? Did she solve the conflict in the Congo?

She always struck me as the sort of person who had a big reputation but never stayed in one job long enough to prove that her reputation was deserved.

This Presidential Library seems one big scam to give her a tax break while scamming the Irish tax payer.

The former president should follow the practice of her predecessors and donate her papers to the National Library, the National Archives or a university

I'm fairly sure I voted for her... anything was better than Brian Lenihan at the time.

As I've grown older and more cynical I'm less enamored with 'official' Ireland's new definition of a presidency as some kind of touchy feely persona who encapsulates every liberal agenda known to mankind.

But... to be fair to the woman, maybe it's time to have a more objective look at her impact on Irish society in the last couple of decades.
    Last edited by cogito; 27-10-2016, 01:46 AM.
    Everything is self-evident.

Comment

Originally posted by cogito View Post
      I'm fairly sure I voted for her... anything was better than Brian Lenihan at the time.

As I've grown older and more cynical I'm less enamored with 'official' Ireland's new definition of a presidency as some kind of touchy feely persona who encapsulates every liberal agenda known to mankind.

But... to be fair to the woman, maybe it's time to have a more objective look at her impact on Irish society in the last couple of decades.
      Impact ? Are you serious . Only on Planet Irish Times did she have an impact . I was a regular reader of The Phoenix magazine during her tenure and they had the measure of her from day one . They were predicting for years , that she wanted a job in the UN and the Irish Presidency was the springboard . They were able to identify all in her speeches that that was her aim even though her PR vehemently denied it . A big fake , but you can fool some of the people etc......

Comment

Prime Time have just given a good insight into the proposed Mary Robinson Centre in Mayo. Wish I could hand the state my personal diaries and get a tax credit of €2 million. Also the money being spent by Mayo Council on the Mary Robinson Centre( which appears to have no upper limit ) would be better spent providing services for the less fortunate.

Comment

Originally posted by barefoot View Post
          Prime Time have just given a good insight into the proposed Mary Robinson Centre in Mayo. Wish I could hand the state my personal diaries and get a tax credit of €2 million. Also the money being spent by Mayo Council on the Mary Robinson Centre( which appears to have no upper limit ) would be better spent providing services for the less fortunate.
          All true and she is flogging her country estate so the tax credit will come in handy.

Comment

Plus when she got the job she wanted in the UK, she walked out on her job as President here before the end of her term and left the country without a President. I have no time for her.

Comment

Originally posted by Vico2 View Post
              Plus when she got the job she wanted in the UK, she walked out on her job as President here before the end of her term and left the country without a President. I have no time for her.
              Another lawyer, turned politician, turned scam artist. The world is full of them.
              Blame the morons who keep electing these carpetbaggers.

Comment

Do You mean the the UN Vico ?

Comment

Yes I do Bo, sorry that was a typo

Comment

Yes I do Bo, sorry that was a typo
                    No prob Vico , she probably had a job lined up over there as well.

Comment

Working...
                    X