A very fine exhibition.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A very fine exhibition.

I have just returned from viewing the magnificent paintings by Mick O'Dea which are on display in the Kevin Kavanagh Gallery, under the name "Black and Tans"

Black and Tan emanates from an intensely rich research project the artist has undertaken. O’Dea has been delving into the national, official and unofficial, archives; disseminating information and images from history books, drawing and painting vast canvasses; remapping in digital the early historical photographs he has collected.
    The most unusual finding from his research is the one that underpins this exhibition. O’Dea reveals how the official Irish Civil War was foreshadowed by the Irish men who aided and abetted the notorious Black and Tans during the Irish War of Independence. The show is primarily concerned with the War of Independence from the time of the arrival of the Black and Tans in March 1920 up to the truce in July 1921.
    The artist has drawn on the visual traces of the Irish past to create a radical intervention into how contemporary audiences and future generations remember war. The artist began some of these portraits by literally projecting the archival photographs onto vast canvases. Then he sketched the bodies and the uniforms and built the characters in charcoal before painting washes of acrylic colour into the frame.
    Black and Tan by Mick O’Dea, with an accompanying essay by Catherine Morris, is at the Kevin Kavanagh Gallery, Chancery Lane, Dublin 8 until April 3.

The last photo in this set is of the notorious "Cairo Gang" ( Their name, incidently had absolutely nothing to do with service in Egypt, but their habit of meeting in the "Cairo Cafe")
    Attached Files

A fuller view of the paintings!
    Attached Files

Comment

beautiful paintings roddy...you know what im totally surprised they let you take photos of them....did you have any problems? here you cant take your camera into most gallery's in fact i dont know one gallery you can take pictures in...willie got kicked out of the whitby library a while back cos he was taking photos of a frickin old steam train....they quoted security at him....!!

great photos.

Comment

Originally posted by Mykidsmom View Post
        beautiful paintings roddy...you know what im totally surprised they let you take photos of them....did you have any problems? here you cant take your camera into most gallery's in fact i dont know one gallery you can take pictures in...willie got kicked out of the whitby library a while back cos he was taking photos of a frickin old steam train....they quoted security at him....!!

great photos.
        The answer is to have a small camera, no flash and wait your moment lol

Comment

Originally posted by Mykidsmom View Post

great photos.
          so heres the strange thing, you can take photos almost any where in Paris but if you try to take one in Collins Museum the security guard might have a heart attack, what do security people here know that the French do not

Comment

awwww ...ok....thats what i do hehee...willie goes in loaded to the hilt with cameras and flash equipement hehe..

you got great photos...

Comment

Working...
            X