Opponents of interconnector project vow to keep fighting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opponents of interconnector project vow to keep fighting

Opponents of a controversial pylon project have vowed to continue fighting the development.

More...

Just a shake down for cash but they all seem to forget that the tax payer has to pay the final bill for Eirgrid.

Comment

3 1/2 dearer to go underground .....the companies not prepared to take the long road regards the profits ....and in dong so , put the public at ease regards the possible health issues .

Comment

Originally posted by Twobob View Post
        3 1/2 dearer to go underground .....the companies not prepared to take the long road regards the profits ....and in dong so , put the public at ease regards the possible health issues .
        Possible health risks, that's the problem Twobob, its a possible health risk, it could happen, you made need to be exposed for a couple of hundred years but you might get cancer from pylons. Its all about acceptable risk, many of the objectors will be drinking, smoking and over eating over the Christmas which will probably expose them to more cancer risks in that short festive period than from pylons but they are acceptable risks.

The east west interconnecter runs right outside my gate, underground of course. When they first decided to bring it over from the UK, the local objectors(funnily many didn't live on the route)claimed that by burying it a farmer or builder might dig it up so accidentally resulting in an explosion that would destroy the town.

They first campaigned for it to be moved outside of the town and overground on pylons. They then started quoting one study paper(only 1) that said pylons may increase your risk of childhood cancer. This I might add was used to object to shielded buried cables even do the study was about pylons overground. The objectors whipped up the pensioners, almost caused a riot when the lads started on laying the cables. The old biddies were loving the excitement. Below is a vid of the protest. I have never seen as many guards around here since

Of course the local politicians piled in behind the protesters, election coming up and all that jazz. This blog gives an outside view of the protest and how it became a driver for Reilly topping the poll.

The debate over pylons rages across the country. People continue to have concerns about the effects on health from such pylons and the other side continue to say that no link has been proven. The d…

As mentioned in the blog, the independent KEMA report found no health implications. The Staines mentioned happened to be chairman of NCD FG party and later got a job on one of the Minister of Health(Reilly) panels. Some of the same FG groupies went on to advise communities down the country I might add. Clare Daly was another that piled in, she posted some long ramble speech about Micronesia causing cancer. That's Micronesia the country.........Cut and paste job I guess

Then things suddenly died down when a community fund was mentioned, so 80k-100k gets doled out to various local groups in grants and the GAA gets a new roof. Suddenly progress can't be stopped, no mention today of the health risks.

These campaigns are just prime excuses for wannabe politicians to get their name out there or the desperate to hold onto their seat. That FG fellow in Monaghan that bottled the guy in the bar, he resigned from FG spouting that it was over his support to stop the pylons. They whip the locals into a frenzy and sadly with social media most people seem to prefer to be spoon fed 1 or 2 sentences rather than go out and read the evidence themselves.

But all this comes with extra project cost, the community funds, the extra site security, the riot squad, the legal defense, the extra site specific studies, the time delays. The cute hoors around here thought by protesting they got extra money but at the end of the day its the tax payer and energy consumer that will have to underwrite the extra costs to Eirgrid. We need the Interconnecters for energy security and future industry so be it underground or overground its going to be built.

Comment

I lived for 20 years with a 220kV pylon less than a 100 metres from the back of the house and none of us are the worse off - I did keep a wary eye on it during heavy storms though.

As for the overhead/underground argument, I know even from my own line of work that from a maintenance perspective anything that's buried tends to be a nightmare in terms of time and cost.

During the worst storms we've had in recent years when power lines were down all over the place, the ESB repair crews managed to restore most customer outages within 24 hours - I doubt if that would be the case if they'd to drag in JCBs etc. to start digging trenches - assuming they knew where to start digging. Fair enough, buried lines are not susceptible to high winds - but they can be to flooding, excavations and the likes... shit happens.
          Everything is self-evident.

Comment

Government Chief Whip Regina Doherty backs 'civil disobedience' plans on

Government Chief Whip Regina Doherty has put her position in jeopardy by saying she will back anti-pylon protesters in any 'civil disobedience' measures taken to prevent the new north-south electricity inter-connector.

More...
            Last edited by cogito; 24-12-2016, 01:01 AM.

Comment

Looks like my local FG TD (and Government Chief Whip) may have lost the plot...
              Everything is self-evident.

Comment

From what I gather in Somerset (a long way from where I live)......People seem to be more concerned about their ''View'' being spoilt.......
                Healthwise in the UK the Government seem to be concentrating on Diesel engines ( I agree with that).....

I'm just about to get my car replaced after it was written off in an accident Kath was involved in.......I informed the dealer who was nominated by my insurance ..''send me details of anything that has not got a Diesel engine''........I have since chosen a car which will be delivered next week......(Kath is fine, ''shaken but not stirred'' )
                Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Napper Tandy View Post
                  Possible health risks, that's the problem Twobob, its a possible health risk, it could happen, you made need to be exposed for a couple of hundred years but you might get cancer from pylons. Its all about acceptable risk, many of the objectors will be drinking, smoking and over eating over the Christmas which will probably expose them to more cancer risks in that short festive period than from pylons but they are acceptable risks.

The east west interconnecter runs right outside my gate, underground of course. When they first decided to bring it over from the UK, the local objectors(funnily many didn't live on the route)claimed that by burying it a farmer or builder might dig it up so accidentally resulting in an explosion that would destroy the town.

They first campaigned for it to be moved outside of the town and overground on pylons. They then started quoting one study paper(only 1) that said pylons may increase your risk of childhood cancer. This I might add was used to object to shielded buried cables even do the study was about pylons overground. The objectors whipped up the pensioners, almost caused a riot when the lads started on laying the cables. The old biddies were loving the excitement. Below is a vid of the protest. I have never seen as many guards around here since

Of course the local politicians piled in behind the protesters, election coming up and all that jazz. This blog gives an outside view of the protest and how it became a driver for Reilly topping the poll.

The debate over pylons rages across the country. People continue to have concerns about the effects on health from such pylons and the other side continue to say that no link has been proven. The d…

As mentioned in the blog, the independent KEMA report found no health implications. The Staines mentioned happened to be chairman of NCD FG party and later got a job on one of the Minister of Health(Reilly) panels. Some of the same FG groupies went on to advise communities down the country I might add. Clare Daly was another that piled in, she posted some long ramble speech about Micronesia causing cancer. That's Micronesia the country.........Cut and paste job I guess

Then things suddenly died down when a community fund was mentioned, so 80k-100k gets doled out to various local groups in grants and the GAA gets a new roof. Suddenly progress can't be stopped, no mention today of the health risks.

These campaigns are just prime excuses for wannabe politicians to get their name out there or the desperate to hold onto their seat. That FG fellow in Monaghan that bottled the guy in the bar, he resigned from FG spouting that it was over his support to stop the pylons. They whip the locals into a frenzy and sadly with social media most people seem to prefer to be spoon fed 1 or 2 sentences rather than go out and read the evidence themselves.

But all this comes with extra project cost, the community funds, the extra site security, the riot squad, the legal defense, the extra site specific studies, the time delays. The cute hoors around here thought by protesting they got extra money but at the end of the day its the tax payer and energy consumer that will have to underwrite the extra costs to Eirgrid. We need the Interconnecters for energy security and future industry so be it underground or overground its going to be built.
                  These people are just cowards who take advantage of the police softly softly approach to these gatherings in order to act the Bertie big bollix .One whiney voice in your video is constantly shouting "get your cameras out " every time the Gardai push the protesters back , as if she was tasered or something . I have witnessed this mob mentality and its becoming all too frequent . They would run a mile from confrontation if they were on their own . As for the local politicians , lets never expect any different and we wont be disappointed .

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles View Post
                    These people are just cowards who take advantage of the police softly softly approach to these gatherings in order to act the Bertie big bollix .One whiney voice in your video is constantly shouting "get your cameras out " every time the Gardai push the protesters back , as if she was tasered or something . I have witnessed this mob mentality and its becoming all too frequent . They would run a mile from confrontation if they were on their own . As for the local politicians , lets never expect any different and we wont be disappointed .
                    Sadly a sign of the times bo......
                    Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X