Comment

Tabhair dom to lámh

Comment

Sí bheag Sí mhor

Comment

O'Carolan's Welcome

Comment

Originally posted by Vico2 View Post
                Not one of his tunes... though it sounds an awful lot like him.

Was composed and performed by one of his rivals back in the 16th century...
                Everything is self-evident.

Comment

Originally posted by cogito View Post
                  Not one of his tunes... though it sounds an awful lot like him.

Was composed and performed by one of his rivals back in the 16th century...
                  New piece of information for me Cogs, thanks. I was under the impression it was one of his. By any chance do you know the name of the composer?

Comment

O'Carolan's Farewell to music

Comment

New piece of information for me Cogs, thanks. I was under the impression it was one of his. By any chance do you know the name of the composer?
                      This from my bible on Irish trad tunes...

Tabhair Dom Do Lamh
                      This is of course also known by its Irish title, "Tabhair Dom Do Lamh".

The tune is by Ruairi Dall O’Cathain, c. 1570-c.1650, an Irish harper who emigrated to Scotland. James I/VI sent for O’Cathain due to the popularity of this tune. Dated in the Bunting collection to about 1603.

O’Cathain and O’Carolan (the blind harper considered by many to have been Ireland’s greatest composer of the time, and some say even still) were great rivals and reportedly couldn’t stand each other. There’s a story told that O’Cathain was attending a great festival. One evening there was a gathering, and O’Cathain was roaring out insults about O’Carolan, who was, unbeknownst to O’Cathain, present at the time. O’Carolan left his guide and, using his hearing alone, slowly came up behind O’Cathain and then grabbed him by the throat in mid-insult and began to throttle him. It took, reportedly, five or six men to pull the harpers apart.

I’ve read the following regarding this tune: Note that the tune is pentatonic until the final phrase. The mixolydian seventh appears four measures from the end, while the fourth does not appear until the final measure.
                      At my Thursday night sessions we normally warm up with a trio of Carolans - Tabhair Dom is an optional later... done in G Major.

Comment

This from my bible on Irish trad tunes...

At my Thursday night sessions we normally warm up with a trio of Carolans - Tabhair Dom is an optional later... done in G Major.
                        Great info Cogs, many thanks. I have of course heard of O Cathain, but was not aware that he wrote this piece.

What instrument do you play and where do ye play on a Thursday?

Comment

Great info Cogs, many thanks. I have of course heard of O Cathain, but was not aware that he wrote this piece.

What instrument do you play and where do ye play on a Thursday?

Bouzouki.

Last week... Wednesday - The Villager, Chapelizod, Thursday - O'Dwyers in Dunboyne, Friday - Pillar Bar, Ballinasloe, Galway - Saturday - assorted pubs Ballinasloe...
                          Last edited by cogito; 18-09-2017, 09:16 AM.

Comment

Used be a Planxty groupy back in the day.. whatever happened to them?

Christy Moore (vocals, guitar, bodhran), Donal Lunny (synthesizer, bouzouki, vocals), Liam O'Flynn (uileann pipes, whistle), Andy Irvine (bouzouki, mandolin,...

Comment

[/B]

Bouzouki.

Last week... Wednesday - The Villager, Chapelizod, Thursday - O'Dwyers in Dunboyne, Friday - Pillar Bar, Ballinasloe, Galway - Saturday - assorted pubs Ballinasloe...
                              You must be very good, clearly you are playing professionally. Are you using the version of the instrument which was adopted for Irish music, or are you using the original style at the higher pitch.

Comment

Working...
                              X