Patti Page 1950

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patti Page 1950

A song my ma used to sing as she went about the house doing her bits and pieces......

I was dancin' with my darlin' to the Tennesse waltz
    when an old friend I happened to see.
    Introduced her to my loved one,
    and while they were waltzing
    my friend stole my sweetheart from me.

I remember the night and the Tennessee waltz.
    Now I know just how much I have lost.
    Yes I lost my little darlin' the night
    they were playing the beautiful Tennessee waltz.

'Never look down on a person unless you're helping them up'.

Ah Rashers! what memories the above brought back! my first love who changed it to "The Hennessy Waltz" my maiden name! Many thanks. I loved the 50s music. Eddie Fisher was my idol, "A fool such as I"

Comment

Originally posted by Rashers View Post
      A song my ma used to sing as she went about the house doing her bits and pieces......

I was dancin' with my darlin' to the Tennesse waltz
      when an old friend I happened to see.
      Introduced her to my loved one,
      and while they were waltzing
      my friend stole my sweetheart from me.

Jaysus Rashers that brought back memories, my dad god be good to him banned that song in our house.......Never did find out why.........He was the kind of dad you didn't talk to....So sad..
      Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is mystery, Today is a gift.

Comment

Same here Rashers, always heard my mom sing it with the result our feet are up and tapping anytime we here it.................lovely song

Comment

I really love that song Rashers brings back memories of my Ma dancin round the kitchen table with the brush as her partner lol

Comment

Originally posted by Deirdre View Post
            I really love that song Rashers brings back memories of my Ma dancin round the kitchen table with the brush as her partner lol
            Ah Rashers that was lovely, I listen to it sung by Conny Francis or Eva Cassidy. Lovely song.....Thanks
            It's nice to be important, but it is more important to be nice.

Comment

love it too....mind you it was way way before my time.....im younger than all you aul gits....but i remember my da singing it.....

thanks jim.....he also used sing a song with the words..." only a beautiful picture, in a beautiful golden frame.........then something about taking my name? anyone know it or remember it?? it caused havoc in my house when hed sing it my ma wouldnt talk to him for days and i always wonder why lol..

Comment

Originally posted by Mykidsmom View Post
                love it too....mind you it was way way before my time.....im younger than all you aul gits....but i remember my da singing it.....

thanks jim.....he also used sing a song with the words..." only a beautiful picture, in a beautiful golden frame.........then something about taking my name? anyone know it or remember it?? it caused havoc in my house when hed sing it my ma wouldnt talk to him for days and i always wonder why lol..
                Here ya go Helen... and the lyrics below...

He stood in a beautiful mansion surrounded by riches untold
                And gazed at a beautiful picture that hung in a frame of gold
                Was a picture of a lady, so beautiful, young and fair
                To the beautiful life-like features he murmered in sad despair

If those lips could only speak and those eyes could only see
                If those beautiful golden tresses were there in reality
                Could I only take your hand as you did when you took my name
                But it's only a beautiful picture in a beautiful golden frame

He sat there and gazed at the painting, then slumbered, forgetting all pain
                And there in that mansion in fancy she stood by his side again
                Then his lips, they softly murmered, the name of his once sweet bride
                With his eyes fixed on the picture he woke from his dream and cried

But it's only a beautiful picture in a beautiful - golden - frame...

Comment

Originally posted by Bridget View Post
                  Ah Rashers! what memories the above brought back! my first love who changed it to "The Hennessy Waltz" my maiden name! Many thanks. I loved the 50s music. Eddie Fisher was my idol, "A fool such as I"
                  Bridget. I couldn't find Eddie Fisher singing "A Fool Such as I" but I did find one that has a little story behind it.

We were just kids... no telly them days so the mammies were out at doors chatting when this lad of about 12 came along and they commented on the lovely song he was singing. Back them people actually sang and men whistled... something seldom if ever heard in the streets these days. We knew the postman by his whistle.

Anyway, we kids were indoors when we heard the bell on the ambulance (remember then, before they had sirens) but by the time I got to it the ambulance started driving away.

Ma told us we were barred from singing a certain song as it had brought a young lad bad luck. I knew the lad... he had passed the women while singing, spotted a pigeon (injured I think) on the roof (4 story houses), climbed the outside aged drainpipe to reach the pigeon but didn't make it to the top. Da told us they tried to help him but.... last thing he asked was that someone get his mammy.

The song he had been singing......

Comment

Many thanks Rashers. Ahhhhhhhhhh, He still causes my heart to flutter, Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Rashers View Post
                      Here ya go Helen... and the lyrics below...

He stood in a beautiful mansion surrounded by riches untold
                      And gazed at a beautiful picture that hung in a frame of gold
                      Was a picture of a lady, so beautiful, young and fair
                      To the beautiful life-like features he murmered in sad despair

But it's only a beautiful picture in a beautiful golden frame

He sat there and gazed at the painting, then slumbered, forgetting all pain
                      And there in that mansion in fancy she stood by his side again
                      Then his lips, they softly murmered, the name of his once sweet bride
                      With his eyes fixed on the picture he woke from his dream and cried

But it's only a beautiful picture in a beautiful - golden - frame...
                      Jim..thank you so so much for looking for this for me and posting it....you know it takes a lot to reduce me to rubble...well this just did it...i never saw the words before or realized the implications of this song to my mother...but now seeing the words....it explains so much about things that happened in my childhood...isnt it amazing how something simple can do that....im in tears here thinking of my mother and how she must have felt when that bloody git sang that song.....................but then too i wonder what made him do it............thank you jim...your a doll...xoxo

Comment

Working...
                      X