Sally Gardens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sally Gardens

I heard this rendition of "Down By The Sally Gardens", enjoyed it, found it relaxing to listen to and thought I'd share.

The singer is Lori Decker.

'Never look down on a person unless you're helping them up'.

Nice version Rashers...
    Everything is self-evident.

Comment

nice, in a relaxing way as you say.

Comment

really enjoyed that, thanks rashers
        the photos were lovely also

Comment

ahh very nice rashers very nice!

Comment

Glad you all liked it. Funny how a simple melody with nice words can catch our attention and make us listen.

(SS if you haven't received post yet you should very soon.

Comment

Question: Is my memory playing tricks or is/was there a Sally Gardens in Dublin?

Comment

Lovely rashers...are you trying to make me homesick..! lol

Comment

Originally posted by Mykidsmom View Post
                  Lovely rashers...are you trying to make me homesick..! lol
                  Ah sure I'd take down me oul guitar and sing it to you if I was there.

Comment

awwwwwwww ...i'll remind you of this when i get to dublin lol....im feeling homesick today lol..

Comment

I found this band on Napster called "Altan". Really good folks for listening to at work, although I'm clueless about the Gaelic.
                      I believe in.......

Comment

Originally posted by Curious Girl View Post
                        I found this band on Napster called "Altan". Really good folks for listening to at work, although I'm clueless about the Gaelic.

Just for Patricia, the words in the foreign tongue.

The song was written by William Butler Yeats, and goes...

It was down by the Sally Gardens, my love and I did meet.
                        She crossed the Sally Gardens with little snow-white feet.
                        She bid me take love easy, as the leaves grow on the tree,
                        But I was young and foolish, and with her did not agree.

In a field down by the river, my love and I did stand
                        And on my leaning shoulder, she laid her snow-white hand.
                        She bid me take life easy , as the grass grows on the weirs
                        But I was young and foolish, and now am full of tears.

Down by the Sally Gardens, my love and I did meet.

Comment

Originally posted by Rashers View Post
                          Just for Patricia, the words in the foreign tongue.

The song was written by William Butler Yeats, and goes...

It was down by the Sally Gardens, my love and I did meet.

In a field down by the river, my love and I did stand
                          And on my leaning shoulder, she laid her snow-white hand.
                          She bid me take life easy , as the grass grows on the weirs
                          But I was young and foolish, and now am full of tears.

Down by the Sally Gardens, my love and I did meet.
                          I've head this song way back, and had no idea it was such a pretty love song. Thanx, Jim.
                          I believe in.......

Comment

Just for those that mightn't know, the Sally Gardens has nothing at all to do with a person called Sally.

In this case the word sally is an anglicisation of the Irish word "saileach" which means willow. So it's really the Willow Gardens.

Just for the craic here's a song called the Down in the Willow Garden by Art Garfunkle.

Comment

I had a hunch that 'Sally' in this case wasn't a woman.
                              I believe in.......

Comment

Working...
                              X