Memories of a DAD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memories of a DAD

Hearing rashers upload of doris day singing "you made me love you" reminded me of my dad...and the memories came flashing back...

My dad was a small wiry man, not formally educated but very smart....his whole life revolved around his family, he had some weird ideas about raising kids that wouldnt go over now....like always listen to your "elders and never contradict them" 'Children should be seen and not heard" unfortunately raising two girls he never managed to enforce these beliefs hehehe..being the only male in the house he always manged to get outvoted, but he took his job as a father very seriously...

i remember sitting on a kid seat on the crossbar of his bike going to the phoenix park to feed fairies and hopefully catch one...i remember him yelling for us on christmas eve telling us hed just seen santy crossing the sky with the reindeer, and hed bring us down a let us sit on the front step watching to see if we could see santy too....i remember him cycling home rain hail or snow and hed always have something in his pocket for us....sweets....and on saturdays which were special days hed have a marshmallow mouse for me and a fish for my sister...i remember him being my own personal taxi driver, him with his trusty bike bessie and me sitting on the back or crossbar and no distance was too far for him to travel..i saw and got to know dublin from his bike..he took me to the pictures twice a week...on fridays to the cabra grand and we'd get fish and chips from the chipper beside the theater, and to the carlton every 2nd sunday.....the alternative sunday i went with me ma...

we walked everywhere too....trips up to the canal and over into blanchardstown down thro the phoenix park where hed stop at the hole in the wall and get a pint maybe but always a lemonade for us....his cap would go on and off all thro the walk as hed remove it when he saw someone to say hello...i remember thro his life he missed maybe 5 or 6 days at work in total...and that was due to surgery....he took his job of provider for his family very seriously...he also considered himself a bit of a chemist and at the slightest hint of a cough in the house hed immediately whip up his personal cough medicine ...now this also could be used on cuts bruises, back aches and headaches...in a pinch you might also use it to oil bikes clean windows.....i think his prime additive was onions...he loved bulls eyes and liquorish and spainish onions, and he loved his grandchildren as much as he loved us......................and we loved him back...he was a great father, a bit of a dandy at times.....but most certainly the most loving caring person around.......

Married and an adult with a husband, a couple of kids and a mortgage, i remember my dad cycling from cabra west to ballinteer in his 70s...with bags of groceries, new shoes for the kids, sweets and an envelope of cash when my husband would be on strike...he never asked if we were ok for money......but he always knew when we werent....

my greatest achievement would be i think if my kids and grandkids remembered me the way i remember my father....

Lovely tribute Helen, he sounds very likeable and a top bloke.

Comment

ya know what captn....on the flip side he came from a family that put the D in dysfunctional.....he was raised by a mother that probably shouldnt have been allowed raise rabid wolves...and he liked a pint....but he was the best father ever im my mind and his family always came first....he learned the skill of listening and empathy i think naturally...and raising kids in the 50s the only money he had for his pints was whatever he managed to shimmy off the paycheck on fridays lol...and every march until november he took the pledge at Mount argus.....god love him he was the best....we didnt have a lot but we never went short of the important things.....you probably know what i mean...

if our parents had half the things we do theyd be living on the hog theyd think..

Comment

Originally posted by Mykidsmom View Post
        Hearing rashers upload of doris day singing "you made me love you" reminded me of my dad...and the memories came flashing back...

My dad was a small wiry man, not formally educated but very smart....his whole life revolved around his family, he had some weird ideas about raising kids that wouldnt go over now....like always listen to your "elders and never contradict them" 'Children should be seen and not heard" unfortunately raising two girls he never managed to enforce these beliefs hehehe..being the only male in the house he always manged to get outvoted, but he took his job as a father very seriously...

i remember sitting on a kid seat on the crossbar of his bike going to the phoenix park to feed fairies and hopefully catch one...i remember him yelling for us on christmas eve telling us hed just seen santy crossing the sky with the reindeer, and hed bring us down a let us sit on the front step watching to see if we could see santy too....i remember him cycling home rain hail or snow and hed always have something in his pocket for us....sweets....and on saturdays which were special days hed have a marshmallow mouse for me and a fish for my sister...i remember him being my own personal taxi driver, him with his trusty bike bessie and me sitting on the back or crossbar and no distance was too far for him to travel..i saw and got to know dublin from his bike..he took me to the pictures twice a week...on fridays to the cabra grand and we'd get fish and chips from the chipper beside the theater, and to the carlton every 2nd sunday.....the alternative sunday i went with me ma...

we walked everywhere too....trips up to the canal and over into blanchardstown down thro the phoenix park where hed stop at the hole in the wall and get a pint maybe but always a lemonade for us....his cap would go on and off all thro the walk as hed remove it when he saw someone to say hello...i remember thro his life he missed maybe 5 or 6 days at work in total...and that was due to surgery....he took his job of provider for his family very seriously...he also considered himself a bit of a chemist and at the slightest hint of a cough in the house hed immediately whip up his personal cough medicine ...now this also could be used on cuts bruises, back aches and headaches...in a pinch you might also use it to oil bikes clean windows.....i think his prime additive was onions...he loved bulls eyes and liquorish and spainish onions, and he loved his grandchildren as much as he loved us......................and we loved him back...he was a great father, a bit of a dandy at times.....but most certainly the most loving caring person around.......

Married and an adult with a husband, a couple of kids and a mortgage, i remember my dad cycling from cabra west to ballinteer in his 70s...with bags of groceries, new shoes for the kids, sweets and an envelope of cash when my husband would be on strike...he never asked if we were ok for money......but he always knew when we werent....

my greatest achievement would be i think if my kids and grandkids remembered me the way i remember my father....
        lovely memories, thank you for sharing them
        People who jump to conclusions rarely alight on them

Comment

Hearing rashers upload of doris day singing "you made me love you" reminded me of my dad...and the memories came flashing back.......
          Truly golden memories of a fine man Helen. Thank you for sharing.
          'Never look down on a person unless you're helping them up'.

Comment

Helen he was a great dad. You were so luckey as was I

Thanks for reminding us of our roots, we should never forget them

Comment

mine is in this photo, died before I realy knew him
              Last edited by bigby; 23-09-2021, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Breda i remember your dad very well....and he was like all the men of that time a hard hard worker.....always busy.......and behind the scenes mostly....i think the women had to be strong and more vocal because the mans job really was to bring the paycheck home..the women did everything else.....your dad seemed very quiet and unassuming.....im surprised looking at him in the photo cos i always imagined you guys took more visually after your mom...but now im not so sure..

Comment

Thanks for sharing Helen, a lovely recollection of your Da.

Comment

awww thanks bridget...isnt it amazing as you get older (38 roflmao) the things that trigger off these memories eh....

willies been sick this week with walking pneumonia and little eamonn whos 6 comes galloping up the stairs screaming at me " ya gotta talk to granddad...hes sitting down...hes sitting down" he didnt think willie should sit with "walking" pneumonia...and the cure was walking......well i looked at eamonn and immediately flashed to memories of my dad....and that was me done for the day i went back in time lol..

Comment

Breda i remember your dad very well....and he was like all the men of that time a hard hard worker.....always busy.......and behind the scenes mostly....i think the women had to be strong and more vocal because the mans job really was to bring the paycheck home..the women did everything else.....your dad seemed very quiet and unassuming.....im surprised looking at him in the photo cos i always imagined you guys took more visually after your mom...but now im not so sure..
                      I think we are a mixture of both mkm, it is just that my mam lived for so much longer that we got to see how we resembled her and her side of the family but I think we looked like him also

Comment

think this was taken at Clancy Barracks

Comment

Breda I am allmost certain that I remember your Dad from mass at the precious Blood ....Could I be right ..

Comment

Originally posted by Deirdre View Post
                            Breda I am allmost certain that I remember your Dad from mass at the precious Blood ....Could I be right ..
                            yes you could, I think he was well know in the area

Comment

Originally posted by bigby View Post
                              yes you could, I think he was well know in the area
                              I just knew it was him and you must be very proud of him he was a thorough Gent ...

Comment

Working...
                              X