Proselytising Thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proselytising Thread.

I was pretty offended by the suggestion in the "your prayers are asked for" thread...that in your time spent with a dying person....It's important to talk to them about our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, to make absolutely sure they will gain entry to the Kingdom of Heaven.

Ive spent much time with dying people and believe me, the last thing on their mind was getting into heaven, mostly it was spent worrying and needing comforting about their loved ones who would be left behind.......boosting their days with humor, making sure they were comfortable and pain free...talking about old times and generally making the time as stress free as possible...dont ya know theyd already figured out their time was limited and their meeting and dealing with yer man up there is very personal......

I hope when im drawing my last camou your very far away....the last thing i personally want to do is talk about YOUR lord....and savior.....i hope im able to have a glass of wine, a good belly laugh and hug and kiss my kids and tell them i love them.....

'It's important to talk to them about our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, to make absolutely sure they will gain entry to the Kingdom of Heaven.'

bullshit from me..!

I agree MKM, I've watched people die and not one of them ever mentioned any desire to get to Heaven, they were all concerned with those they were leaving behind.

Comment

I agree with Helen too.

Some may know that my dear sister died just over a year ago. At no time did she call out to any diety. Instead she told those present that she loved them all, but was ready to go.

Six months ago my 8 year old niece died as I looked on. Her last words on this earth were, "I love you Uncle Jim." She blew me a kiss, a little wave, closed her eyes and left us. At no time did she mention any wish to go to any paradise. But she died as peacefully as I suppose it's possible to.

If someone had takled to either of them about any diety it would have made their passing that much harder... all they were interested in, as Helen says above, was their loved ones.

I placed that notice in the thread for another important reason. Apart from the fact that the thead is for announcing the passing of a family member, a friend or aquaintance, and for those who wish to offer condolences or share a memory.... we also have to my certain knowledge members that are not Christian, and the thread is strictly non-denominational. It's not a place to promote any religious philosophy.

In case anyone is unsure of the post we speak of it's HERE.
      'Never look down on a person unless you're helping them up'.

Comment

Jim i think the thread, "your prayers are asked for" is a beautiful thread...and gives us an opportunity to support, show empathy and in cases get to say whats on our mind at a stressful time....maybe discuss things of extreme importance that might be difficult to talk about with our loved ones whom we want to protect...its both a way of supporting each other and getting support at difficult times..

I think to reduce it to a "preaching thread" is disrespectful to everyone..it takes value away from the thread and will definitely make someone think twice before using it...religious beliefs are a totally personal and individual choice, and im sure we all vary in our beliefs....but empathy and respect are universal.....and that post breached both i think....

and camou...you are a member of our small community here...just think before you post...will this hurt/really upset anyone?? should this opinion maybe go in another thread???? or think maybe everyone doesnt need to see god in the same way and same times you do..

Comment

That thread is simply ordinary decent people sharing their personal troubles and hoping for the support of their friends, it shouldn't be disrupted by thoughtless posts.

Comment

I cant understand the the sense of outrage to Cammos contribution to the" Your prayers are asked " thread . I suspect it was the inclusion of an obvious evangelical type of suggestion to a dying person . It probably wasnt your intention Rashers to have a distinctly Catholic call to prayer which is used at funeral sunday masses . You shouldnt expect to have it both ways bringing religion into it and then having a veto on it .A lot of contributors have expressed their hostility to God , have used the word Jesus in an offensive manner and you havent seen fit to point out how that can be insulting to some people , seems like one rule for some .....

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles View Post
              I cant understand the the sense of outrage to Cammos contribution to the" Your prayers are asked " thread . I suspect it was the inclusion of an obvious evangelical type of suggestion to a dying person . It probably wasnt your intention Rashers to have a distinctly Catholic call to prayer which is used at funeral sunday masses . You shouldnt expect to have it both ways bringing religion into it and then having a veto on it .A lot of contributors have expressed their hostility to God , have used the word Jesus in an offensive manner and you havent seen fit to point out how that can be insulting to some people , seems like one rule for some .....
              A sense of outrage? I saw no such posts.

There was no intention to "have a distinctly Catholic call to prayer" type of thread. As you no doubt know almost all adherents of a religious faith, and even those of none, pray in a way that is sacred to them. I have friends in the Pagan community who pray regularly. Muslims have a 'call to prayer' five times a day. So as you can see from that I never expected it "both ways". And I fail to understand why the thread in question could be seen exclusively as a " distinctly Catholic call to prayer".

I haven't seen anything offensive spoken about 'God' (remembering as above that to people of faith there are many such entities called 'God'.

As for using "the word Jesus in an offensive manner", perhaps you'll point out the offensive post(s) and I will then be able to deal with them.

I believe if you look through the posts you will not find 'one rule for some'. In fact it's very unlikely that you'll find as fair and especially non-intrusive moderation on other fora.

Comment

God guided me to this message board, told me to join and participate. I didn't at first understand the purpose for His command, but soon I understood. He wants me to save you, or at least try to.

There is only one god and one god only. But the 1st A, or your country's equivalent, gives all of us the right to worship as we see fit. If you want to nail a bashed up empty coke can to a broomstick, calling this idol your god, you are perfectly entitled to do so, and I will be the first to defend you should anybody try to strip you of this right.
                But know this my friends, idol worship will not open up the gates to Heaven. Only those washed in the blood of Jesus will gain entry to Heaven. Those turning their backs on Christ will go to Hell and very likely drag their loved ones with them. There is no gray zone in between, no place for compromise. It's either Heaven or burning in Hell.
                Please my friends, save yourself and your loved ones from this dreadful fate. Do not give Satan another victory. Save yourself by embrace Christ if you haven't done so already.
                Camouflage

Stockpile supplies, learn survival skills, pray!

Comment

Originally posted by Rashers View Post

(remembering as above that to people of faith there are many such entities called 'God'.
                  NO NO NO! There is only one true God, but many man-made idols.
                  Camouflage

Comment

Originally posted by Camouflage View Post
                    NO NO NO! There is only one true God, but many man-made idols.
                    There are billions who would disagree.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles View Post
                      Thanks for the support Bojangles. Indeed it's a contradiction asking for prayers, but excluding Christian content. But as a conservative and a Christian I am well used to attempts made by liberal Atheist types to silence me. 20 years ago I would have got very upset about it, but not anymore. I just carry on as the Lord intended me to do.
                      Camouflage

Comment

There are billions who would disagree.
                        They are perfectly entitled to disagree, but unless they repent and embrace Christ, they will not be able to enter Heaven.
                        Camouflage

Comment

They are perfectly entitled to disagree, but unless they repent and embrace Christ, they will not be able to enter Heaven.
                          The billions I speak of may have never even heard of this Christ you speak of.

Comment

Oh please! Repent for what? Which heaven? Please, no more bible passages... speak for yourself please.

Comment

A sense of outrage? I saw no such posts.

There was no intention to "have a distinctly Catholic call to prayer" type of thread. As you no doubt know almost all adherents of a religious faith, and even those of none, pray in a way that is sacred to them. I have friends in the Pagan community who pray regularly. Muslims have a 'call to prayer' five times a day. So as you can see from that I never expected it "both ways". And I fail to understand why the thread in question could be seen exclusively as a " distinctly Catholic call to prayer".

I haven't seen anything offensive spoken about 'God' (remembering as above that to people of faith there are many such entities called 'God'.

As for using "the word Jesus in an offensive manner", perhaps you'll point out the offensive post(s) and I will then be able to deal with them.

I believe if you look through the posts you will not find 'one rule for some'. In fact it's very unlikely that you'll find as fair and especially non-intrusive moderation on other fora.
                              Rashers I dont understand an appeal for prayers to . such a scattergun approach to all religions to be a comfort to a bereaved person if it doesnt give them hope and peace in the hereafter . And as for their final thoughts , of course its usually kept to themselves but if Camoflague genuinely believes that a dying person could seize an oppourtunity to make his or her peace with God by a deathbed conversion then it has as much validity as a general appeal to a select few people on this forum . its not so much as one rule for some , as you leaning more towards posters you would regard as friends .

Comment

Working...
                              X