Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family Search

Hi all

I am trying to find some information about my grandfather John Hanlon who lived in no. 35 Meath Street (over Rigneys Shop). He died in 1954. I would like to find out where in Dublin he came from and who his parents were. I know his father was also called John Hanlon but I dont know who his mother was or where they lived. Because I don't know his mother's maiden name I can't get a birth cert for him. He was born around 1881. He worked in Keefe's of the Knackers and I know he had a very bad accident while working there. Another man was killed in the same accident. Any information would be welcome.

CMJH
    Last edited by cmjh; 09-02-2011, 10:41 PM.

welcome to the forum cmjh have you tried here http://pilot.familysearch.org/record...=recordResults the first entry has a john william hanlon born 1881 and his fathers name was john also. Not sure how to verify his mothers name unless you know what you great grandfather did for a living it would be on the birth cert.

Comment

Jeangenie

Thanks for information. I have checked this out but without my great grandmothers maiden name I have no way of knowing whether I have the right John Hanlon. I would really need to find someone who knew the family.

cmjh

Comment

Originally posted by cmjh View Post
        Hi all

I am trying to find some information about my grandfather John Hanlon who lived in no. 35 Meath Street (over Rigneys Shop). He died in 1954. I would like to find out where in Dublin he came from and who his parents were. I know his father was also called John Hanlon but I dont know who his mother was or where they lived. Because I don't know his mother's maiden name I can't get a birth cert for him. He was born around 1881. He worked in Keefe's of the Knackers and I know he had a very bad accident while working there. Another man was killed in the same accident. Any information would be welcome.

CMJH
        Was the John Hanlon who died in 1954, married?
        Gatsby

Caesar et erat forti, Brutus et sum iam, Caesar sic in omnibus, Brutus sic intram.

Comment

hi
          yes John Hanlon who died in 1954 was married to Margaret Hayes. They got married in 1905.

cmjh

Comment

hi
            yes John Hanlon who died in 1954 was married to Margaret Hayes. They got married in 1905.

cmjh
            Did they ever live at Iona Crescent, Glasnevin?
            Gatsby

Caesar et erat forti, Brutus et sum iam, Caesar sic in omnibus, Brutus sic intram.

Comment

Hi Gatsby

I don't think they ever lived in Glasnevin. As far as I know they always lived around Inchicore or Meath Street area.

cmjh

Comment

Hi Gatsby

I don't think they ever lived in Glasnevin. As far as I know they always lived around Inchicore or Meath Street area.

cmjh
                They're down as having been married 7 yrs in 1911, which would mean they married in 1904??

Can you give as much info as possible...other names in the families etc?
                Gatsby

Comment

Gatsby

Thank's for reply. I think the John Hanlon you are talking about is my grandfather John Hanlon. He was born in 1881 and got married in 1905. It's his father and mother I am trying to find information about (my great grandparents). His father was also John Hanlon but I dont know who his mother was. I think he had a brother who was deaf and dumb but I dont know their names. All I know is that at some time they lived in Inchicore and somewhere I heard that my great grandfather worked in he Black and Amber pub in Islandbridge. I realise this is not very much information but I am finding it impossible to get information so I thought I would give this a shot.

cmjh

Comment

cmjh if you know your grandfather was born in 1881 do you not have a copy of his birth cert. His mothers name should be on it.

Comment

Gatsby

Thank's for reply. I think the John Hanlon you are talking about is my grandfather John Hanlon. He was born in 1881 and got married in 1905. It's his father and mother I am trying to find information about (my great grandparents). His father was also John Hanlon but I dont know who his mother was. I think he had a brother who was deaf and dumb but I dont know their names. All I know is that at some time they lived in Inchicore and somewhere I heard that my great grandfather worked in he Black and Amber pub in Islandbridge. I realise this is not very much information but I am finding it impossible to get information so I thought I would give this a shot.

cmjh
                      There were 3 marriages containing the name John Hanlon in 'Dublin South' in 1905.

The reason I'm focussing on him is because the marriage cert will give his address at the time of his marriage. The chances are that he was living at home in his parents' house, although this was not always the case.

Back then, names followed in families as you can already see with the 2 John's. So that is why I'm asking for other names, uncles, aunts etc, as these help in narrowing searches.
                      Gatsby

Comment

See above post also.

John, born 1881 would have been 29/30 in 1911.
                        There is a John Hanlon married to Margaret living in Allingham St. This would be very close to O'Keefes the knackers.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Gatsby; 02-11-2010, 04:29 AM.
                        Gatsby

Comment

Jeangenie

I can't get a birth cert for my grandfather. I know he was born around 1881 but I dont have an exact DOB and without his mother's miaden name I will not know if I have a birth cert for the right John Hanlon. I did get a birth cert for a John Hanlon born in Rathmines but I have no way of knowing if it is him.

cmjh

Comment

Jeangenie

I can't get a birth cert for my grandfather. I know he was born around 1881 but I dont have an exact DOB and without his mother's miaden name I will not know if I have a birth cert for the right John Hanlon. I did get a birth cert for a John Hanlon born in Rathmines but I have no way of knowing if it is him.

cmjh
                            The clue to your search lies in the marriage cert of the John & Margaret who married in the early 1900's.
                            Gatsby

Comment

Originally posted by Gatsby View Post
                              See above post also.

John, born 1881 would have been 29/30 in 1911.
                              There is a John Hanlon married to Margaret living in Allingham St. This would be very close to O'Keefes the knackers.
                              Gatsby

Thanks for your effort. This is the correct census form for my grandfather. I did get his marriage cert but he didn't live at home with his parents before he got married. He lived in a room in a house in Echlin Street. He died when I was very young and my father never spoke about his grandparents or aunts or uncles on his fathers side of the family.

cmjh

Comment

Working...
                              X