Crisis in Ireland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crisis in Ireland

Now why does Cowen and his henchmen not tell the EEC Ireland is on her knees and get some kind of help rather than taking the money off the less well off to pay for the bankers mismanagement and the governments inability to anything except pay for expensive hotels and helicopter flights to the shops?

If they thiunk they have much credibility left on the world stage, they are living in cloud cockoo land.

most countries arfe fecked but it galls me to see Cowan and Co act as if they are some kind of important gurus - they are not and the country needs help

It's all over the media here about how Greece and Ireland are the "basket cases of the EEC".

Comment

Maybe they don't want to admit it until the last minute?
      I believe in.......

Comment

I am sure there are a myriad of reasons for the reluctance to get assistance from external agencys but I think 1 reason is certainly the fact that if someone else can dictate where/how much of a cut each individual takes NO member of the Dail will be happy with that given that last Thursday fortnight they snuck through both a salary increase and dept. expenses increase for themselves YET we are facing cuts in pensions, welfare payments etc! I accept cuts have to be made but cuts across the board and NOT just at a particular sector. Having the I M F or whatever calling the shots cannot be any worse than this excuse of a Government....let me rephrase that....excuse for a Dail....They are all the same, bullies who prey on the vulnerable
        Originally posted by Red Biddy View Post
        Now why does Cowen and his henchmen not tell the EEC Ireland is on her knees and get some kind of help rather than taking the money off the less well off to pay for the bankers mismanagement and the governments inability to anything except pay for expensive hotels and helicopter flights to the shops?

If they thiunk they have much credibility left on the world stage, they are living in cloud cockoo land.

most countries arfe fecked but it galls me to see Cowan and Co act as if they are some kind of important gurus - they are not and the country needs help

Comment

I agree with you Dolores but they brought the country to its knees and Cameron is trying to the same here. The Irish economy has not been able to grow and no investment has been made by the government This is an article from the Mirror to-day. I found it very informative

Comment

there was supposedly going to be some big announcement at 5.30 your time today...did it happen and what was the results?

Comment

Originally posted by Mykidsmom View Post
              there was supposedly going to be some big announcement at 5.30 your time today...did it happen and what was the results?
              Yep, a government spokesman said, "If things stay the same they'll never change!"
              'Never look down on a person unless you're helping them up'.

Comment

.......you guys had to wait all day for that?????????? what exactly does it mean besides being politicalese...?

Comment

Originally posted by Mykidsmom View Post
                  .......you guys had to wait all day for that?????????? what exactly does it mean besides being politicalese...?
                  I made that up. I'm just practicing for after the revolution when I'm made President for Life.
                  'Never look down on a person unless you're helping them up'.

Comment

MKM from what I can gather is that the EEC people who are involved will step in anyway and do what ever has to be done - i believe it means that other member nations including the UK will have to give huge sums of money to try to bail Ireland out

Comment

its a crying shame that this is where ireland is at....there were so many opportunities and chances.....total mismanagement...!

dreadful....and you know ive seen so many new irish here its as if they opened the floodgates.....terrible to be pushed in a sense out of your own country..

i feel so sad for ireland.

Comment

It is alleged there are some banking files that no one knows the password for!

Comment

So they took the loan. If it helps to put the country back on its feet it has to be a good thing. But I wonder if/or what the government has committed the country to in return - deals like this one have to have some kind of return for the lenders

Comment

It is alleged there are some banking files that no one knows the password for!
                            I think you might be referring to encrypted files in Anglo Irish Bank Liz the passwords of which have not been disclosed to the new board as they have been told nobody presently at the bank has them. I don't know why a court order has not been issued to both Sean Fitzpatrick and David Drumm to disclose them as they are the obvious holders of the secret! Or maybe I malign them?????

Comment

So they took the loan. If it helps to put the country back on its feet it has to be a good thing. But I wonder if/or what the government has committed the country to in return - deals like this one have to have some kind of return for the lenders
                              In reply to a thread on the other forum I posted the following Liz and it kind of answers your question!

I don't profess to understand the machinations of the powers that be but if the IMF or whoever taking ovee means the end of the profligate waste and cronyism that has been endemic in the rarified circles of the people who have run this country in business, banking and government for many years then I am for it. I realise times will be hard but at least with an outside agency possibly pulling the strings it might be a fairer system than what we have now where the only people who will suffer are those down the pecking order...the fat cats stay fat and not held accountable. I would hope the cuts start at the top!! Finally, anything that brings an end to the present government has my vote, problem is I do not believe any of the other parties are any better.

Comment

Working...
                              X