If you could write a letter to your teenage self

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you could write a letter to your teenage self

If you could write a letter back to yourself aged 16, what would you say, what advise would you give?
    Such is life - Ned Kelly

Dear Dave,

Well the good news is that you've now turned 50 and are still kicking along, the bad news is that yer falling apart physically but you have the chance to change that.

Now I won't go into any details about your life to come because I don't want you to change anything fundamentally that will affect how things turn out, but I have a few tips for you.

Life is very, very short and the time will slip away quicker than you can believe. Live every minute as if it's your last because some day it will.

Give your love unconditionally to your loved ones and don't forget to tell them how you really feel about them because I'm sorry to tell you mate that from time to time you will lose one of them. So don't live with the regret of not telling them how much they mean to you and how special they are.

Be a good friend, always back your mates no matter what. Always put 110% of what you get out, back into a relationship.

Work and study hard because it will pay off financially. Don't think for a minute that money will make you happy but it will just give you choices.

Don't take yourself too seriously and don't beat yourself up about mistakes you make along the way.. you will make many. Learn from your mistakes and move on, don't dwell it won't make any difference.

Be compassionate, everyone will not be as fortunate as you. Always treat others with respect no matter their situation and if you come across someone down on their luck remember that could be you given the wrong circumstances.

If a problem can be solved with money it's not a real problem, just a cashflow issue but alway live within your means. If you can't afford it, you can't have it. Never buy on credit if you don't have the cash in the bank.

Never, ever forget where you came from and be proud of your heritage no matter where you end up.

Well that's about it but I'm happy to say that if you play your cards right some day you may have friends all over the world. Be good to yourself.

All the best,

Dave

PS
    I know it won't make any sense now but if in the future you come across a Dublin forum be careful it's very, very addictive.
    Such is life - Ned Kelly

Comment

Love it Dave !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im going to write one later hehe

Comment

Dear Deirdre, Just a few words of advice to you my dear.........good advice that was given to me by your grand-parents ....I thought that I knew it all but boy was I mistaken !! so maybe if you pay heed to at least half of what I say you may not have to cross as many hurdles as I have . Life is good if you allow it to be so never put off untill tomorrow things that can be done today. Dont allow your heart to rule your head go with your inner gut feelings as I can assure you that, those feeling are nearly allways right , so if there are big decisions to make go with your Gut , forget the heart.........Go out and have fun enjoy the craic but do remember, to allways put aside some money for those rainy days that crop up far too often. Spend quality time with your loved ones .....they can only return your love and affection if you allow them to Dont assume that people with a little grey in their hair or a few lines on their face are stupid and senile, they my dear girl could be an inspiration to you if only you would give yourself time to listen. Never go to sleep on an arguement ...kiss and make up for today is tomorrow's- yesterday and life is very very short. I so wish that we could all recieve such a letter to guide us through life's good and bad times .....Guard your good health carefully .....so dont take up smoking like I did , drink in moderation .......excersize is a great friend both to the mind and the body so keep with some sort of routine as often as you can .......Take care Deirdre but above all else allways remember that YOU matter and that you can be your very own worst enemy ........or very best friend

God Bless you ...xx Deirdre xxx
        Last edited by Deirdre; 19-11-2009, 05:16 PM.

Comment

Great advice D
          Such is life - Ned Kelly

Comment

Thanks Boxie ......cmo'n lads and lassies waitin to read your letters ....gwan gwan you know you can.......

Comment

Originally posted by Deirdre Madden View Post
              Thanks Boxie ......cmo'n lads and lassies waitin to read your letters ....gwan gwan you know you can.......
              Wouldn't it be great though D to send a message to yerself back down the time tunnel... Of course as you've no doubt guessed it would be just as useful to our kids and grand kids.
              Such is life - Ned Kelly

Comment

If I could write a letter to my teenage self....I would tell meself to go in and become a nun....then none of all the crap I have been thru would have happened....lol
                It is what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Pammy View Post
                  If I could write a letter to my teenage self....I would tell meself to go in and become a nun....then none of all the crap I have been thru would have happened....lol
                  Ah that's sad Pammy do you really mean that??
                  Such is life - Ned Kelly

Comment

Originally posted by boxman View Post
                    Ah that's sad Pammy do you really mean that??
                    Dave u have pm...
                    It is what it is.

Comment

I agree Boxie ....my granson age 14 .....is a lurker in here ...he likes to see the photos, he says!! but secretely he reads everthing, and his Mam allowes him to look in as its a well moderated site and no filth etc ....well he read our letters last night and he sent me a message on face-book saying that he hears that advice from me everytime that I see him ....lol........there was I thinking that this was my 1st attempt at giving out that advice to my much younger self .....

Comment

Hi Mary. The road ahead is very exciting. The world is your oyster. Don't mess it up or you will end up with regrets and sorrow like you have never known. Live each day with honesty. Live it like you were taught by your Mammy and Daddy sowed you how. Love with all your heart. Don't break anyone elses on the way. Be kind and thoughtful. Have fun and laughter on the way. Be loyal to all who love you and everything you give of yourself will be repayed twofold. If you are about to do something naughty remember me and my voice in your head telling you to stay true to yourself.
                        Make lots of friends on the road to your future. You will never be alone that way. Life will put you down but you pick yourself back up and get on with it. Nothing is for nothing in this life, so work as hard as you can and stand on your own two feet. Enjoy all the expieriences as you go along lifes dusty road and make it as clear as you can. Love from me the voice in your head.

Comment

Will have to do this and get back with it

Comment

Hi Helen,

Here you are on the edge of your life....treat it with respect..always remember this life you have isnt a trial for the real thing...it is the real thing..you get one chance...and you cant ever go back on it and start over..remember possessions are just things, and although its nice to have money to be comfortable money shouldnt be a driving force in your life....remember where you came from and those that went before you.....what will be important in your life are your family friends..people...and if you treat everyone as you would like to be treated yourself you will go far....dont for heaven sakes take up smoking, laugh a lot, enjoy life, enjoy those around you...and it wouldnt help if you learned to cook a bit....having a bit of dust in your surroundings wont kill you...i know you'll ignore me but 10 inch high heels will come back to bite you when you get a bit older so it might be wise to cut down on the wearing of them. Learn to listen carefully, be empathetic and you really wont need to dye your hair when your 30....you'll ruin it...dont spent time looking for a high profile career and then regret not having time you could spend with your kids....your kids will grow up very fast. Lose the rotten temper it wont smooth your life for you and alway keep a sense of humor and remember its ok to laugh at yourself...and remember if you are silly enough to commit to buying a dog....the dog will live for a very long time...so ....

and i know you wont listen to a word i said anyways..right?

Comment

Isn't funny how nobody so far has told themselves to change something in their future?
                              Such is life - Ned Kelly

Comment

Working...
                              X