Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sherriff Street in the 1960s (full Documentary)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sherriff Street in the 1960s (full Documentary)

This is a full documentary showing what it was to live in the docklands in the 1960s. If anyone likes this documentary I shall upload more on the same subject -- "Women of Sherrif Street" and "Sherriff Street 20 years later".

This first documentary will no doubt bring back memories for some.

Enjoy.

'Never look down on a person unless you're helping them up'.

Part II

Comment

Part III

Comment

Part IV

Comment

Part V.

Comment

Part VI

Comment

jim thanks so much for taking the time to put this documentary up..weve been glued to it.....absolutely amazing the resilience of these families and how they coped in near impossible circumstances...that family who lost 3 kids in as many months.....terrible.......i remember this dublin..the documentary is true to its time eh..

would love to see some more if you can get your hands on them lol...
              thanks ..helen

Comment

Originally posted by Mykidsmom View Post
                jim thanks so much for taking the time to put this documentary up..weve been glued to it.....absolutely amazing the resilience of these families and how they coped in near impossible circumstances...that family who lost 3 kids in as many months.....terrible.......i remember this dublin..the documentary is true to its time eh..

would love to see some more if you can get your hands on them lol...
                thanks ..helen
                Thanks Helen.

I love it when I post something like this and it gives enjoyment. They were thought times indeed.

I have 2 or 3 more in the same series, one called The Women of Sheriff Street and later tonight I'll start on getting them down to clip size that You Tube will accept.... then I'll upload them to You Tube and from there I'll post them here.

If enough people are interested I'll upload full Irish movies and documentaries. There's some already here in the Arts and Culture forum, some well worth seeing. But I'll post more.

Thanks again Helen.

Comment

you know what amazed me thro that documentary...they kept referring to the kids as having anti-social behavior.......well i tell ya...we must all have had anti-social behavior growing up.....life for kids growing up in our generation was a dangerous life...i remember scutting, leaving the house after breakfast and coming home for food only hehe....and my mother hadnt a clue were i was most of the time ....we were not monitored like the kids are now...so you cant look back and say of the parents they were bad parents ..they werent...thats how it was....the bigger kids in many instances kept an eye out for the little ones............

love these jim..im going to have a look on the other thread later....and look forward to seeing more...your the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mykidsmom View Post
                    you know what amazed me thro that documentary...they kept referring to the kids as having anti-social behavior.......well i tell ya...we must all have had anti-social behavior growing up.....life for kids growing up in our generation was a dangerous life...i remember scutting, leaving the house after breakfast and coming home for food only hehe....and my mother hadnt a clue were i was most of the time ....we were not monitored like the kids are now...so you cant look back and say of the parents they were bad parents ..they werent...thats how it was....the bigger kids in many instances kept an eye out for the little ones............

love these jim..im going to have a look on the other thread later....and look forward to seeing more...your the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Up to about a year ago I used to wonder how most of us didn't wind up dead or in jail. I was one of those ragamuffins at one time and was with the kids when one slipped under the ice at Spenser Dock. That dock was a favourite swimming spot.

Anyway about a year or so ago I was chatting with one of my schoolfriends (we must have been posh cos we went to school) and during the course of our nostalgia trip I said, "How did we stay out of jail, Philly?" His reply made me feel good... "Because we never hurt anyone Jim!"

And you know... that was true. We were the little gurriers of our day but we were a bigger danger to ourselves than to anyone else.

Except of course for the poor unfortunates that came to the attention of the children's courts and we all know the abuse that was doled out for years to those who could have became useful members of society if only we'd had city fathers with foresight.

Comment

exactly....never hurt anyone being the key.....i remember when married living in old bawn and every tuesday night my friends and i would go dancing at the belgard...getting home around 12.......around 12.15 my car would be robbed.....initially i called the police, but as we had two black mini, and id have a few drinks on me..the cops didnt take the report seriously...so eventually i found where my car was being joyridden to...so id run over, the kids would throw the keys at me and id drive home and we'd be ok till the next tuesday................but one evening i pulled into my driveway and discovered the other mini gone...now that wasnt part of the game....so i park my car, and run over to the next estate from old bawn, find the kids on their way over to rob my car and yell at them...ya bloomin gits yas robbed me husbands car.............no we didnt they go, we're on our way to get yours, but dont worry we'lll find your husbands one for ya..dont call the police yet.. 30 mins later the kids arrived with my husbands car pushing it down the road......very apologetic that whoever robbed it had taken the gas hehee.....really really nice kids hehee...

Comment

It's all changed so much now Helen. You wouldn't know if they'd pull a gun on you nowadays..... and even shoot as well.

Yeah, we were snotty nosed little gurriers, but we were civilised.

Comment

Yeah, we were snotty nosed little gurriers, but we were civilised.

now dat can only be said by a true dubliner!!!

Comment

i know..but isnt it true lol..i think we got away with murder cos we were actually pleasant and funny and it was always innocent....well mostly lol..

i think the poor kids nowadays dont get the freedom to get up to any kind of mischief...and the ones who do usually get up to bad stuff.....very different from our times eh..

Comment

sherriff street in the 60s

Thank you Rashers for the wonderful documentary on this area and the work it took to download it on here, Keep up the good work, look forward to seeing more ..H

Comment

Working...
                              X