The Ballyseedy Massacre. (Civil War)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Ballyseedy Massacre. (Civil War)

'Never look down on a person unless you're helping them up'.

2/10

Comment

3/10

Comment

4/10

Comment

5/10

Comment

6/10

Comment

7/10

Comment

8/10

Comment

9/10

Comment

10/10

The executions during the Irish Civil War took place during the guerrilla phase of the Irish Civil War (October 1922 May 1923) This phase of the war was bitter, and both sides, the Government forces of the Irish Free State and the Anti-Treaty Irish Republican Army (IRA) insurgents, used executions and terror in what developed into a cycle of atrocities. From November 1922, the Free State government embarked on a concerted policy of executing Republican prisoners in order to bring the war to an end. Many of those killed had previously been allies and in some cases close friends (during the Irish War of Independence 1919 1921), of those who ordered their deaths in the civil war. In addition, government troops summarily killed prisoners in the field on several occasions. The executions of prisoners left a lasting legacy of bitterness in Irish politics.

Comment

I'm only learning about just how much terror the Free State was responsible for and the atrocities to booth (in the name of the government of the day) ... it was much worse than what was endured under the British. Blame MUST be laid at those in power at the time but especially Gen. Richard Mulcahy. I've discussed before where my latest reading has led me and is with a sickened heart I realize that those that Mick Collins put into a position of power ie. the Squad became much like what we have come to know the German Gestapo for in the 2nd WW !!

Ever revolution breeds contemptible personnel in power and it is usually (but not always) the men that did not use the gun themselves or were not directly involved in the fighting who become the beasts of power with purges of anyone deemed to be a political opponent .

Having said that we must not vest the blame on the descendants of those people for they had nothing to do with those times and of course it is sad that the descendants must now face the fact that members of their family were responsible. As far as I know there were "hits" still being made into the early 50's in revenge for some of the atrocities but let that be the end to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Patch View Post
                        I'm only learning about just how much terror the Free State was responsible for and the atrocities to booth (in the name of the government of the day) ... it was much worse than what was endured under the British. Blame MUST be laid at those in power at the time but especially Gen. Richard Mulcahy. I've discussed before where my latest reading has led me and is with a sickened heart I realize that those that Mick Collins put into a position of power ie. the Squad became much like what we have come to know the German Gestapo for in the 2nd WW !!

Ever revolution breeds contemptible personnel in power and it is usually (but not always) the men that did not use the gun themselves or were not directly involved in the fighting who become the beasts of power with purges of anyone deemed to be a political opponent .

Having said that we must not vest the blame on the descendants of those people for they had nothing to do with those times and of course it is sad that the descendants must now face the fact that members of their family were responsible. As far as I know there were "hits" still being made into the early 50's in revenge for some of the atrocities but let that be the end to it.
                        Can't agree with any of that Capt...

I've had to delete two replies I was going to post... I'll work on a third in a more temperate form.
                        Everything is self-evident.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Patch View Post

I remember my grandfather telling me that killing is the very worst experience for a human being and is almost impossible at first but then you become inured. I've often wondered if that's a valid point he made... but he believed it and he had the experience.

MC's Squad. Do you really believe one can compare them to the Gestapo? What of Sean Lemass who is arguably the best taoiseach we've had to date. My opinion is while they were under MC's command they did what had to be done. If the war was to have a chance from our side the killing of the intelligence officers was a necessity.... blind your enemy and you severely restrict many of his fighting powers.

I still think Mulcahy was some kind of psychopath. After all this time I don't think my mind will be changed on that... but who knows, I have an open mind and am always open to someone else's argument.

I've tried to get into the minds of those who committed the Ballyseedy atrocity and I cannot, no matter from what angle I examine it, understand what drove or allowed the government soldiers to commit such a dreadful act.

Comment

Originally posted by cogito View Post
                            Can't agree with any of that Capt...

I've had to delete two replies I was going to post... I'll work on a third in a more temperate form.
                            Say it as you believe it Cogs.

Comment

Rashers and Cogito .... about the SQUAD ...... I mean after Collins was dead, they became a power unto themselves and a majority of them acted way beyond the bounds of justice and by their own actions outside of their brief. I'm aware that a couple of them resigned in protest but what was left became comtemtable.

Comment

Working...
                              X