Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Water Rates **** Only 27% Collected By Local authorities *** READ THIS !!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Rates **** Only 27% Collected By Local authorities *** READ THIS !!!

Businesses owe 90 million Euros in water rates

The amount of money owed to councils in commercial water charges has trebled in just one year to 90 million Euros.

The Irish Independent reports that local authorities are collecting as little as 27 per cent of the amounts of commercial water charges owed.

Despite long-standing commercial water charges, businesses struggling in these difficult economic conditions, are refusing to pay. Outstanding charges rose from €29m to almost €90m.

Despite the high unpaid amount, few businesses are going without water. Councils are refusing to shut-off supplies as they do not want to be seen to be forcing businesses to shut.

Audit reports commissioned by the Department of the Environment highlight:

The total amount outstanding to local authorities stands at almost €88m.
    Wexford is collecting just 27 per cent of the commercial water charges. Meath and Clare both collect 30 per cent. Few councils are taking in more than 70 per cent.
    Dublin City Council is owed the most at €21.4 million. followed by Cork County, which is owed €14.4 million, and Wexford, which is owed €11.3 million.

Read the full story on the Irish Independent website

© 2011 Greenbusiness.ie
    Change Display Settings
    Help
    Accessibilty
    Site Map
    Terms and Conditions
    Skip Navigation
    Text version

DCC refused to give me a waiver for my bin collections and are currently demanding E1,500 arrears. Not just that but they have given over my account to a dept collection agency who are currently threatening legal action.

Perhaps if I wasn't just one of the peasants I would get away with the charges. As it is I have to make private arrangements to have my bins collected and the rubbish disposed of.

But if I have my day in court DCC are not going to come out smelling of roses.
    'Never look down on a person unless you're helping them up'.

Comment

I know some things about how those of you in Ireland are having all kinds of taxes, tithes call it whatever you like and its a load of shite - your paying for the failings and underhanded dealings of the mighty who have swanned off with billions and not one has been in front of a judge

In the UK we pay income tax and Vat on goods just like those living in Ireland. We pay National Insurance (workers do as I did for most of my life until 2 years ago when i ran out of the job from hell)

Above a certain everyone pays Income tax, even us pensioners but the levey has beeb brought down somewhat for lower income people

We pay Coouncil tax, just like the old rating system which was there in Ireland and the UK. everyone paid it including Corporation and Cooncil house tennents

Some bright spark in Ireland decided to abolish it for electioneering putposes - was it Jack Lynch? everything was free - it was mad

here in the UK Mad Maggie said everyone over 18 had to pay the poll tax - poll meaning your head

So in my case 3 of us would pay exhorbitant money whilst the other 2 kids were coming up to pay too

The Sultan of Barain who had a house in London would have paid less than my family

We organised and not only got rid of the Poll Tax but the plastic woman too

So now we have the Council Tax and its not great either but it covers all corporation/council contracts. One tax on one household

Comment

Working...
      X