Happy 70th Birthday!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy 70th Birthday!

.This month sees the 70th anniversary of the first residents moving into Cabra West. Following the dreadful bombings in the North Strand, families were moved up to the newly built houses in Cabra West. The first tenant was Mary O'Brien on Dingle Road whose husband Christopher used his own horse and cart to carry their belongings. That was on the 1st June 1941. Many families joined them in the following days using the Council, horse and carts and even prams to carry their belongoings into their new homes. Happy 70th Birthday Cabra West

aw Wishing Cabra West a Very Happy Birthday .............

Comment

Yeah Happy Birthday Cabra West.I didn't realise its 70 years since first tenents moved in.I haven't been in Cabra now for a long time,must take a trip there and have a good look around.I knew so many people from my area [Stoneybatter] who moved there in the 50s We moved to Finglas when the time came to knock our old tenement down.

Comment

My mother tells me the story of moving to Cabra for the weekend in the 40's from Christchurch. My da got the electricity cut in the tennement and organised a horse and cart to transfer their belongings and it was snowing that weekend. When they got to Cabra my mother hated it and told me da they where going back so the cart had to be organised again. me mam said the landlady nearly dropped when she seen them coming back

Comment

Originally posted by jeangenie View Post
          My mother tells me the story of moving to Cabra for the weekend in the 40's from Christchurch. My da got the electricity cut in the tennement and organised a horse and cart to transfer their belongings and it was snowing that weekend. When they got to Cabra my mother hated it and told me da they where going back so the cart had to be organised again. me mam said the landlady nearly dropped when she seen them coming back
          So ya coulda been a neighbour JG????? lol

Comment

Originally posted by Womblemum View Post
            So ya coulda been a neighbour JG????? lol
            got out by the skin of their teeth

Comment

Originally posted by jeangenie View Post
              got out by the skin of their teeth
              cheeky bugger!!

Comment

Working...
              X