Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Graves at Kilmorna - 1867 (and other works by Sheehan)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Graves at Kilmorna - 1867 (and other works by Sheehan)

Has anyone read this novel or any other works by Rev. Canon Sheehan? I am struggling with the narrative for some reason. I know it's a very important piece of work for those interested in the 1867 episode, but the narrative is just so dense and thick and at the same time hard to follow. Or maybe it's my tired brain not cooperating. Can anyone recommend a piece of fiction that deals with 1867 that is a little easier to follow?

Originally posted by Lily of Ulster View Post
    Has anyone read this novel or any other works by Rev. Canon Sheehan? I am struggling with the narrative for some reason. I know it's a very important piece of work for those interested in the 1867 episode, but the narrative is just so dense and thick and at the same time hard to follow. Or maybe it's my tired brain not cooperating. Can anyone recommend a piece of fiction that deals with 1867 that is a little easier to follow?
    I read something by him when I was a kid called Knocknasumtinorudder (the book... not me !!) - it was out and out shite... suggest you fling it in the bin before your 'tired brain' turns to porridge... he was probably only ever heard of because any half decent Irish book was banned...
    Everything is self-evident.

Comment

Originally posted by cogito View Post
      I read something by him when I was a kid called Knocknasumtinorudder (the book... not me !!) - it was out and out shite... suggest you fling it in the bin before your 'tired brain' turns to porridge... he was probably only ever heard of because any half decent Irish book was banned...
      What a relief! I thought I was the only one struggling with his works. It was sent to me by my late Fenian friend from Australia. "Graves" was published in 1920. In other words, the chap was endorsed by De Valera? I don't know what to make of Sheehan. I really want to like the book, or at least to finish it. But the picture he paints of the early Fenians is different from other sources. For instance, they address each other as "Comrades". Is that an accurate form of address? You see, I was keen on reading the book because it was written just a few decades after 1867, so it's not technically "revisionism" or "neo-Fenianism". The narrative is just so dense, and not in a creative loopy Joycean way. It's just very heavy and sticky.

Comment

Oops... I've just realised I've been blaggarding the poor Canon in error - God forgive me...

The fellow who wrote Knocknagow - the book I was referring to, was actually Charles Kickham - from the same era. It was drivel...
        Everything is self-evident.

Comment

Cogs,you been smokin, your socks again? lol

Comment

Just to note if anyone wants to read this book it is out of copyright so in the public domain and is available in pdf and other forms here:

The graves at Kilmorna; a story of '67 by Patrick Augustine Sheehan:

https://twitter.com/OldeEire
            http://getoutofthatgarden.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by jinksdub View Post
              Just to note if anyone wants to read this book it is out of copyright so in the public domain and is available in pdf and other forms here:

The graves at Kilmorna; a story of '67 by Patrick Augustine Sheehan:

http://www.archive.org/details/gravesatkilmorna00shee
              Ah, I have a hard copy, that still smells like 1920 ;-) But thank you so much for the link! I'm sure there are other fabulous works. If someone reads the book, please tell me what you think about the style and if it's illustrative of the style of the era.

Comment

Working...
              X