Do the Public have a right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do the Public have a right?

Just been listening to Julian Assange from Wikileaks on the radio. His website will close at the end of the year due to lack of funds. What do you think of Wikilieaks, do the public have he right to know everything including classified documents?
    Such is life - Ned Kelly

Depends Boxy,releasing classified info to the public,say from Military sources could put a lot of people in danger,but if they were hiding something that could endanger the public at large,then fair enough.Personally I think a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing!

Comment

Originally posted by maire View Post
      Depends Boxy,releasing classified info to the public,say from Military sources could put a lot of people in danger,but if they were hiding something that could endanger the public at large,then fair enough.Personally I think a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing!
      But there's the rub Marie. Are the news media supposed to decide what is in the public interest or should it be 'publish and be damned'?
      Such is life - Ned Kelly

Comment

I believe the media have an obligation,to keep certain things under wraps if it pertains to diplomacy and military items,and such,It's a touchy subject Boxy.What do you think?

Comment

Originally posted by maire View Post
          I believe the media have an obligation,to keep certain things under wraps if it pertains to diplomacy and military items,and such,It's a touchy subject Boxy.What do you think?
          That really is the crux of the issue Marie, where do you draw the line? Do we have people like Rupert Murdoch deciding what is in our interest and what is not? When it comes to national security, that can be a catch all that is used too readily to suppress information. With Wikileaks we had the situation were Mr Assange was deciding what and when information was released in order to deliberately embarrass certain governments; releasing diplomatic communications for example. Then on the other hand we had the release of video evidence of a US attrocity in Iraq where a helicopter gunship attacked civilians. Which of these revelations is in the public/national interest and how do you measure that is the question.
          Such is life - Ned Kelly

Comment

The powers that be have got away with far too much for far too long and now "we" can all be in the shit just because some dummy decides that "they" don't need to know. Without transparency in politics we will get what we deserve .... I for one object to being told what's good or not for me .... I'm, old enough to make up my own mind. Secrecy begets even more secrecy and as time goes on we degenerate to the lowest common denominator.

The likes of Julian Assange need our support to "keep the bastards honest " and the likes of Rupert Murdock needs our condemnation to pull back their power for the sake of power.

'ave a nice day.

Comment

I know we are a democracy, but it appears if you find out too much, you might be swimming with the fishes.it's amazing what governments keep surpressed, the latest for example is America, England etc suddenly found out the Gadaffi had money " invested " in their countries, & not just a few dollars.

I agree with Maire we don't need to know national secrets that affect security. The trouble is we have to trust those we have entrusted to keep us safe. Most wonder are they up to the task.
              today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

Comment

I trust no one

Comment

And rightly so Bigby,why would we? lol

Comment

Originally posted by bigby View Post
                    I trust no one

you should be the next president then
                    Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

well i donno...im on the fence..i think wikileaks became a watch guard of kind because no one exactly knew what was going to be released...right now theres GTMO questions......are there other places in Europe..was there a valid reason to go to Iraq, did we get lied to about sadam having weapons.......theres many questions and unanswered.....i think the powers that be are losing control of the middle class people...and when you do that....you see the results...i agree certain military secrets have to be kept for safety.....but i believe in transparency....

Comment

Well I for one am glad that the details of Liam Fox, former Defence minister were reported. I wonder why his so called advisor felt the need to go to meetings with government ministers all over the place? Werrity was funded by some 'shady' organisation or other.

Comment

If classified, no, we should not know.

But, as soon as the info can be declassified, we should know.
                          I believe in.......

Comment

Originally posted by boxman View Post
                            Just been listening to Julian Assange from Wikileaks on the radio. His website will close at the end of the year due to lack of funds. What do you think of Wikilieaks, do the public have he right to know everything including classified documents?
                            There's a difference between a right to know and a need to know. The pubic has a right to know what their government is upto. However, there are somethings that impact national security that the public doesn't have a need to know - because then everyone will know.

Comment

I trust bigby.
                              today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

Comment

Working...
                              X