Blackpitts, Dublin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackpitts, Dublin

Anyone have connections with Blackpitts, Dublin?
    Gatsby

Caesar et erat forti, Brutus et sum iam, Caesar sic in omnibus, Brutus sic intram.

Ok..im showing my ignorance here lol..where is blackpits the name rings a bell..a loud one

Hi gats..

Comment

I know it's somewhere in the Liberties but that's about it.

As soon as the Liberty boys and girls start to troop in I bet some of them will not only tell us where it is but post photos of it.
      'Never look down on a person unless you're helping them up'.

Comment

Jayziz do yiz not know where Blackpitts is??? DTW and Jimmymac'll murder ya if he ever catches you lol.

Here's where it is marked with A
        Attached Files
        Such is life - Ned Kelly

Comment

Originally posted by Mykidsmom View Post
          Ok..im showing my ignorance here lol..where is blackpits the name rings a bell..a loud one

Hi gats..
          Are ye a Dub or what?

Comment

Blackpitts

My old man was a coal and Turf merchant and one of the main depots was at Blackpitts .... I used to think it was called Blackpitts because of it being a coal yard and only applied to the yard ( how singular we think) but have since discovered that the area was called Blackpitts because in the 1300's they buried the victims of the black plague here.

My brothers and cousins would know a hell of a lot more than me about the area .. yo me it was just me Da's coal yard !

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Patch View Post
              My old man was a coal and Turf merchant and one of the main depots was at Blackpitts .... I used to think it was called Blackpitts because of it being a coal yard and only applied to the yard ( how singular we think) but have since discovered that the area was called Blackpitts because in the 1300's they buried the victims of the black plague here.

My brothers and cousins would know a hell of a lot more than me about the area .. yo me it was just me Da's coal yard !
              Was it McHenry's?

Jimmymac would know. He remembers his dad signing the 1911 Census.
              Gatsby

Caesar et erat forti, Brutus et sum iam, Caesar sic in omnibus, Brutus sic intram.

Comment

Originally posted by Gatsby View Post
                Was it McHenry's?

Jimmymac would know. He remembers his dad signing the 1911 Census.
                Howya Gats,I know yer trying to wind me up ye b'ollix ye

But seriously me Da's name is actually on the 1911 Census,he is down as an 8 year old as he was born in 1903.There was a gap of 31 years between him and me Ma.

The only turf and coal merchant in Blackpitts as far as I remember was Mc Henry Bros.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmymac View Post

But seriously me Da's name is actually on the 1911 Census,he is down as an 8 year old as he was born in 1903.There was a gap of 31 years between him and me Ma.

The only turf and coal merchant in Blackpitts as far as I remember was Mc Henry Bros.
                  Howya Jimmymac? I'm on the Australian site. Now I know what a 69 means.
                  Gatsby

Comment

Was it McHenry's?

Yup, did you know it well ?

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmymac View Post

Jimmy Google Joseph McHenry and Four Courts Garrison, Dublin Brigade. The Joseph McHenry that was one of the McHenry's that started the turf and coal depot, was with Rory O'Connor in the Four Courts.
                      Such is life - Ned Kelly

Comment

Originally posted by boxman View Post
                        Jimmy Google Joseph McHenry and Four Courts Garrison, Dublin Brigade. The Joseph McHenry that was one of the McHenry's that started the turf and coal depot, was with Rory O'Connor in the Four Courts.
                        And when we were kids we used sods of turf as sort of hand grenades in our gang wars... so there's a connection. I wonder would Joseph have thrown any at the Free Staters.

Comment

I refuse to answer on the grounds I might ...... !!

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Patch View Post
                            I refuse to answer on the grounds I might ...... !!
                            Aha... we gotcha at last!

Corporal, take that man into custody... and watch him closely!

Comment

Originally posted by boxman View Post
                              Never knew that,thanks boxman.

Comment

Working...
                              X