Evening Press Delivery Scooters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evening Press Delivery Scooters

Here's a good photo taken in Dublin on todays date November 20th, but the photo was taken in 1956.
    It's the Evening Press scooters which were mostly Lambretta's. They'd have their boxes filled up with batches of newspapers to be delivered to shops and street sellers.
    I'm sure most Dubs on here will remember them
    Attached Files

Great photo ....sure do remember those scooters..in fact willies first bike was one of those he bought it 2nd hand and it used be an old delivery bike.....

thanks for the photo fortypence...by the way hope your feeling better and recovered now.

Comment

Originally posted by Mykidsmom View Post
      Great photo ....sure do remember those scooters..in fact willies first bike was one of those he bought it 2nd hand and it used be an old delivery bike.....

thanks for the photo fortypence...by the way hope your feeling better and recovered now.
      Yeah I think it's a class photo too. In my first job after leaving school I worked beside the garage where the Evening Herald stored and maintained their delivery scooters, I used to love seeing them whizz in and out, and of course the sweet aroma of 2 stroke oil

I'm feeling a lot better, thanks a million for asking

Comment

were you dying to ride one? there was something about those scooters and also the Heinkle ones..(spelling) they had a personality didnt they..willie painted his scooter on my living room table one time ...we almost got divorced over it....he also took the engine out regularly and redid it on the living room floor....ever time i turned my back bits of that scooter were plonked somewhere in the house..when did you get your first bike?

glad your getting better that was a terrible thing to happen and you must have been in a lot of pain......^5

Comment

Great photo. I don't know how many times I've seen requests on other forums for a photo of a newspaper scooter.

I remember them loading up in Prince's Street (the lane beside the GPO) and buzzing into O'Connell Street heading in all directions.

MKM, I used to drive a Heinkel scooter.... drive shaft instead of a chain. Heavy though till they brought in a lighter one with less bodywork as I recall. But they gave a smooth ride.
          'Never look down on a person unless you're helping them up'.

Comment

You still see the bikes around the streets of Dublin...
            The mind is everything. What you think you become.

Comment

i think willie had a very heavy one..i remember trying to learn to drive it in dunlaoghaire and crashing into a wall cos i couldnt keep it up straight..

you mean the lambrettas Dinny? I see they have something here that looks like a lambretta but goes about 10k i think its a step up from disabled scooters.....i hate to see them on the road you never know where theyre going to end up.

Comment

i think willie had a very heavy one..i remember trying to learn to drive it in dunlaoghaire and crashing into a wall cos i couldnt keep it up straight..

you mean the lambrettas Dinny? I see they have something here that looks like a lambretta but goes about 10k i think its a step up from disabled scooters.....i hate to see them on the road you never know where theyre going to end up.
                No the evening herald still use them to deliver papers

Comment

really wowow.....

Comment

really wowow.....
                    They only have a handful....they use vans mostly....

Comment

Originally posted by dinny View Post
                      No the evening herald still use them to deliver papers
                      They've re-introduced them dinny, but the new ones are 4 stroke automatics, they're just not the same as the old 2 stroke machines, maybe it's just me

Comment

Originally posted by Fortypence View Post
                        They've re-introduced them dinny, but the new ones are 4 stroke automatics, they're just not the same as the old 2 stroke machines, maybe it's just me
                        I'll take your word for it Fortypence......I wouldn't have a clue

Comment

were you dying to ride one? there was something about those scooters and also the Heinkle ones..(spelling) they had a personality didnt they..willie painted his scooter on my living room table one time ...we almost got divorced over it....he also took the engine out regularly and redid it on the living room floor....ever time i turned my back bits of that scooter were plonked somewhere in the house..when did you get your first bike?

glad your getting better that was a terrible thing to happen and you must have been in a lot of pain......^5
                          I used to love seeing them. I got my first bike a couple of years later and I haven't been without a bike since, that was back in the 1980's.

If you look at the Motorcycle thread you'll see I posted a pic of a 1961 Heinkel Tourist, they were a 175cc 4 stroke.
                          I've always been a 2 stroke nut, I guess that's why the new Herald 4 stroke auto scooters just don't do it for me.

Comment

Originally posted by dinny View Post
                            I'll take your word for it Fortypence......I wouldn't have a clue
                            It's me dinny, you can't beat the magic 'ring ding ding' sound and the smoke and smell of a 2 stroke engine, pure magic. But the idiot eurocrats have decided to kill off 2 stroke engines, saying they 'may' pollute the environment, they haven't a clue

Comment

they havent banned the 2 stroke engine here i guess cos a lot of gardening equipment have them..

Comment

Working...
                              X