here we go again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• here we go again

Shorthall an other junior nobody is going to do away with supermarkets selling drink at a low price(COMPARED TO PUBS) What a mighty power this publican,s group are ,they and shorthall are very good to us, for looking out for us .What this means when i have a drink at home it now won.t be much cheaper than going to the pub .Who do they think they are fooling ,this vintners crowd really have a lot of political power .What shorthall should be doing is putting a capping order on publicans overcharging, by putting a maximum price order on what a publican can charge.......AND PIGS MIGHT FLY

agreed antmel. watch the traffic heading northbound increase again!

Comment

Originally posted by antmel View Post
      Shorthall an other junior nobody is going to do away with supermarkets selling drink at a low price(COMPARED TO PUBS) What a mighty power this publican,s group are ,they and shorthall are very good to us, for looking out for us .What this means when i have a drink at home it now won.t be much cheaper than going to the pub .Who do they think they are fooling ,this vintners crowd really have a lot of political power .What shorthall should be doing is putting a capping order on publicans overcharging, by putting a maximum price order on what a publican can charge.......AND PIGS MIGHT FLY
      Well Said ...

Comment

Originally posted by Deirdre View Post
        Well Said ...
        So I guess you all support the supermarkets ? ........ the major reason for small business decline ....... every small business that goes down adds another four people (at least) to the un-employment ques.!!

Supermarkets should not be selling petrol, booze, drapery, cutlery, stationary, music etc etc. .... sure we all benefit with lower prices but we pay through the nose in taxes to support a growing un-employment group !

Comment

Well said!! Would this affect off licences too?
          UP THE DUBS!!!

Comment

small business

We all want to support employment ,but not at the expense of letting our selfs of be over charged by small local shops ..In the area i live there are two local shops and to be honest they are nothing but pick pockets ,if they and others like them go out of business it will be because of their sheer greed .These people have been screwing us for years,thank god for transport

Comment

We all want to support employment ,but not at the expense of letting our selfs of be over charged by small local shops ..In the area i live there are two local shops and to be honest they are nothing but pick pockets ,if they and others like them go out of business it will be because of their sheer greed .These people have been screwing us for years,thank god for transport
              I'd chance an opinion Antmel that you've never being in business for yerself ? The small grocer cannot compete with the large multi nationals for the simple reason that he CANNOT purchase his supplies at anything near the costs that the multi Nationals can. I know of a few small merchants that can buy their supplies cheaper from the multi nationals that they can from the wholesaler !!! How do you think you'd go trying to run a business whereby you cannot get your own goods for resale at a price that leaves you any sort of a profit ?

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Patch View Post
                I'd chance an opinion Antmel that you've never being in business for yerself ? The small grocer cannot compete with the large multi nationals for the simple reason that he CANNOT purchase his supplies at anything near the costs that the multi Nationals can. I know of a few small merchants that can buy their supplies cheaper from the multi nationals that they can from the wholesaler !!! How do you think you'd go trying to run a business whereby you cannot get your own goods for resale at a price that leaves you any sort of a profit ?
                Your bang on CP most people conveniently ignore this truth , but its inevitable that all these little shops that customers think are robbing them will go out of business , dont know about Australia but here THEY are screwed by rates and regulations , not to mention shoplifters , and when they are all boarded up on the village main street , Kmart Walmart Tesco etc will be waiting with open arms out on the Motorway in their hypermarkets , Visit most towns in America and you will walk a long way for fresh bread or milk , that little shop doesnt exist anymore

Comment

dead on.....walmart was responsible for 1000's of small business in the states and canada closing down....if at all possible i support the small retailers..local family owned chemists....butchers and bakeries..they close down...the economy closes.......i buy canadian good in preference to those manufactured else where....and generally might pay a couple of $s more..but the quality is generally better....and the warranties much much better......

Comment

Over here the big supermarkets are slowly but surely grinding the small independent petrol stations out of business, by giving at times 8 cents a litre off, but we all know it is built into their prices. Once they wipe them out well you guessed, no discounts, just price rises. The same applies to all small businesses.
                    today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Patch View Post
                      My Da was one of the small business's you speak of. And your arguments are correct. But lets be honest. Is that a bad thing? I have fond memories of the small shop in the village. 3 elderly sisters selling everything from a pound of hand cut cooked ham to a bag of calf nuts. Then my Da opened a supermarket and closed the three other smaller shops. Now me Da's shop was only a small mini market but yer talking 1982. Then Tesco and Dunnes came and me Da was put out of business. Thats life. I lament the passing of the small shop but people need to make money stretch and tesco and Dunnes allow for that. AS for Jobs. The small shops hired one or two people on desperatly low wages and little or no protections. Nowadays Wages are protected by minimum wage. Im not saying its high enough, Im saying its protected. So I dont think job losses is really a red herring. The jobs moved to the big stores. Id like to see an actual verifiable researched report on how many jobs were lost.

Comment

Originally posted by Ballinamoe View Post
                        My Da was one of the small business's you speak of. And your arguments are correct. But lets be honest. Is that a bad thing? I have fond memories of the small shop in the village. 3 elderly sisters selling everything from a pound of hand cut cooked ham to a bag of calf nuts. Then my Da opened a supermarket and closed the three other smaller shops. Now me Da's shop was only a small mini market but yer talking 1982. Then Tesco and Dunnes came and me Da was put out of business. Thats life. I lament the passing of the small shop but people need to make money stretch and tesco and Dunnes allow for that. AS for Jobs. The small shops hired one or two people on desperatly low wages and little or no protections. Nowadays Wages are protected by minimum wage. Im not saying its high enough, Im saying its protected. So I dont think job losses is really a red herring. The jobs moved to the big stores. Id like to see an actual verifiable researched report on how many jobs were lost.

there are two major supermarkets in the small town i live in.........the staff in them would be able to run at least fifty small shops.....there has been a lot of shops closed down.....but not fifty..........but the wages are crap, don't know how much they got in small shops.....but there were at least a few well paid owners

ps...just remembered i spoke to a clothing shop owner a few years ago.......he said everything went down in the town centre, when they relocated the cattle market to a site about 5 miles outside the town
                        Last edited by quinner; 11-01-2012, 01:22 PM.
                        Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

small business

I dont think there,s much hope for small shops or other small outlets .I dont know about anyone else but she who must be obeyed will always go to where she get things the cheapest, and i think most people will do the same.

My mother god rest her got the bus from whitehall every morning to do her shopping in town, simply because things were cheaper ,supermarkets did,nt exist then. (ahhh the good old days) coddle and stew with everything dumped in the pot . and some days bubble n squeak with leftovers

Comment

i know quite a number of people working in retail here...and i have to say they dont get treated very well by the big chains like walmart particularly....nor do they get paid well.....walmart doesnt have a good name but they still attract the customers cos they are looking for bargains...but dont realize they arent always getting a good deal....

unless were buying a big ticket item we dont shop around and honestly most of my friends are the same...they go for convenience..i find though the smaller business provide better customer service, generally fresher local stuff if your buying veggies or baked goods....

Comment

I do shop around but will not waste time or petrol to save a few bob, I shop at Lidl, Aldi, sometimes Tesco, and the local Spar and Centra
                              the local shops have prices that are not too much over the big chains for some groceries
                              for me, Lidl and Aldi are the best on price

Comment

Working...
                              X