Filling in tax returns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filling in tax returns

I have a pension from Ireland and one from the UK, I live in the UK, it is not enough to pay tax on but I have to fill in a tax return every year. I usually go down to the tax office and they help me fill it in but this year I have had to do it on line as they never sent me a paper one through the post. Does anyone else have to do this. You would be fined £100 if you don't return it, what a nightmare, I've just done it now, easy enough but oh god I hate doing it.

Must be a pain in the arse Mary,In the States you have to do your taxes every year,and you can imagine the paperwork?A lot of companies here make a killing,doing peoples taxes for a fee.Seems futile to have to do it if its not a taxable income,but that's the government for you.Good luck,wish I could help you,someone on here will help,i'm sure!

Comment

Originally posted by Mary Lord View Post
      I have a pension from Ireland and one from the UK, I live in the UK, it is not enough to pay tax on but I have to fill in a tax return every year. I usually go down to the tax office and they help me fill it in but this year I have had to do it on line as they never sent me a paper one through the post. Does anyone else have to do this. You would be fined £100 if you don't return it, what a nightmare, I've just done it now, easy enough but oh god I hate doing it.
      Mary like you I have to file a tax return every year ...I posted it off on October 15th and podted it on the same day ...I recieved a letter that I had missed the deadline and had to pay £100 fine I paid the fine but at the same time I appealed against it and recieved a letter just before Christmas to say that I had won the appeal ...no sign off my cheque being returned to me up to last week and I rang the tax office premium phone number had to wait in a queue for just over an hour ...I was then told that they dont send your fine money back to you unless you ask for it to be returned...what a load off phoneys they are !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Deirdre View Post
        Mary like you I have to file a tax return every year ...I posted it off on October 15th and podted it on the same day ...I recieved a letter that I had missed the deadline and had to pay £100 fine I paid the fine but at the same time I appealed against it and recieved a letter just before Christmas to say that I had won the appeal ...no sign off my cheque being returned to me up to last week and I rang the tax office premium phone number had to wait in a queue for just over an hour ...I was then told that they dont send your fine money back to you unless you ask for it to be returned...what a load off phoneys they are !!!!
        What a pain Deirdre they've got you over a barrel, they could have suggested you fill it in online as the deadline for that is 31 Jan 2012. These phone line are a nightmare, waiting for ages and then the arseholes can't help
        you.

Comment

Letters where sent out to people here 2 weeks ago who had 2 pensions telling them they where going to be paying tax on the second one. In some instances people had no pension at all and still received the letter from the revenue.

Comment

Originally posted by jeangenie View Post
            Letters where sent out to people here 2 weeks ago who had 2 pensions telling them they where going to be paying tax on the second one. In some instances people had no pension at all and still received the letter from the revenue.
            Someone is not doing their job properly. I always say about them "gis a job" I could do your job as badly as you do.

Comment

Working...
            X