Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Encounter on the Luas stops us in our tracks

Saw this on the Irish Times site today

MIND MOVES: ‘How do I let go of my anger?’ a stranger asked, recalls TONY BATES

A CURIOUS thing happened to me on the Luas recently. I had been standing since boarding the tram at Heuston, but when we reached the Jervis Street stop, a seat freed up. I sat down, grateful for the rest. I was happily window gazing, when I heard a loud voice from somewhere behind me asking for “a two euro piece”. I noticed a look of disgust on the face of a woman in a nearby seat, so I turned to see what was up.

A young man with Down syndrome was making his way through the packed carriage. His beautiful open face looked distressed. He persisted in asking everyone around him for two euro, mumbling that he needed it for the bus home. I dug a coin from my coat pocket, reached back and handed it to him. Job done; back to gazing out the window.

A moment or two later, this same young man sat down in the seat beside me and put his head in his hands. Apropos of nothing at all, he blurted: “How do you stop feelin’ annoyed with someone?” This guy clearly preferred to skip small talk.

I asked him what had him so annoyed, but he wasn’t happy to talk about it. “Just someone who did something a month ago that made me mad.” And then he repeated his question to me with an even greater sense of urgency: “How do you stop feeling mad at someone?”

I asked him what it’s like to walk around holding onto anger. He remained bent over, head in hands, distressed by a feeling that wouldn’t leave. And he said: “It hurts.”

We had an audience who were monitoring our conversation with interest. Maybe this boy wasn’t alone in walking around with unresolved anger. Maybe these onlookers were asking themselves the same question: “How do I let go of my anger?”

I wasn’t sure at all what to say to this young man, but he was growing on me by the minute. I offered him a lame cliché – “Maybe you need to forgive him” – but he saw through this immediately. “No,” he said. “Tried that, didn’t work.” That put me in my place.

I remembered something about people with Down syndrome: they are more connected to their heart than most of us. So I took a different tack and suggested: “Maybe you need to love him.” For the first time since he had sat down he lifted his head from his hands, sat up, and smiled. “Ah love,” he proclaimed loudly. “It’s what bonds us all.” And he threw his arms out in front of him.

He introduced himself to me and shook my hand. The woman who had been turning her eyes to heaven only moments before, leaned over and kindly offered him her best advice: “You need to pray for him too.” Another woman sitting behind her added: “You know, no matter how bad things might be for you, there is always someone else who feels even worse.”

The thought briefly crossed my mind that this second woman – whose face revealed her to be no stranger to pain – had probably tried to console herself with this truth many times.

My new friend responded warmly to each of them, thanked them and shook their hands. The tense atmosphere that had hung in the air vanished. There we now were, all of us, no longer strangers, crowded together at the door waiting to disembark, joking about keeping our balance as the tram curved around Busáras.

In the space of four Luas stops, something had shifted for each of us. We had been wary strangers at Jervis, but smiling friends when we reached Connolly. What had made the difference? Was it the inspired advice that we had given this young man? I suspect not.

I think it was more what he had done for us. His lack of pretence, his direct openness, had disarmed us. He had allowed us for a moment to step out from behind our separate selves and experience a simple but powerful connection with one another.

It occurred to me that this young man with his so-called disability, who made a carriage cringe, was freer and probably healthier than most of us that day. While we lived mostly in our heads, our hearts hidden behind a fear of disapproval, this young man lived from his heart. And even when it hurt, he didn’t try to hide it.
    UP THE DUBS!!!

beautiful story suzie and so true

Comment

Originally posted by Mykidsmom View Post
      beautiful story suzie and so true
      It sure is true. Met many a Downs Syndrome person through the years & they're special too in their own way.
      UP THE DUBS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Suzieq View Post
        Saw this on the Irish Times site today

MIND MOVES: ‘How do I let go of my anger?’ a stranger asked, recalls TONY BATES

It occurred to me that this young man with his so-called disability, who made a carriage cringe, was freer and probably healthier than most of us that day. While we lived mostly in our heads, our hearts hidden behind a fear of disapproval, this young man lived from his heart. And even when it hurt, he didn’t try to hide it.

Loved this article Suzie, thanks for posting it. A reminder that things are not always as they seem. We all have something to share with each other.

Comment

Originally posted by Womblemum View Post
          Loved this article Suzie, thanks for posting it. A reminder that things are not always as they seem. We all have something to share with each other.
          Glad u like it Dolores. It is on the chit chat thread on t"udder side as i was not sure it would come up if i posted it as a new thread & was unsure what category it would fall under.
          UP THE DUBS!!!

Comment

that was a lovely story ,thanks for sharing suzieq.

Comment

I didn't think I needed a good cry but there it is! Thanks for sharing. It's a lovely post and a good reminder to us all.

Comment

Originally posted by Eileen View Post
                I didn't think I needed a good cry but there it is! Thanks for sharing. It's a lovely post and a good reminder to us all.
                I am glad you liked it eileen.
                UP THE DUBS!!!

Comment

Working...
                X