Photos of Existing Dublin Housing Buildings Monuments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photos of Existing Dublin Housing Buildings Monuments

I would like to start a thread under the above heading which would deal with existing buildings and structures of artistic, social and historical interest in Dublin. Lesser known landmarks and buildings that are derelict and close to demolition could also be included. It hopefully would provide the opportunity for those interested to get out their cameras and perhaps leave a resource of photographic material for those that come along in 20 years or more.

Since I bought a digital camera some months ago I have wandered the City taking photos of buildings and places that could be of interest to Dubliners. To set the 'ball rolling' I attach four views of Rialto Buildings. This multi-dwelling structure is well over 100 years old and many of us would have seen the very old picture of the complex in the excellent 'Old Photos of Dublin'site. As Rialto Buildings is not on a main thoroughfare I am sure some people would be interested in seeing it as it is to-day.

Last edited by pegasus; 20-06-2012, 06:23 PM.

looking Forward too seeing your photos pegasus

Comment

Originally posted by Deirdre View Post
      looking Forward too seeing your photos pegasus
      The anticipation is killing me, are you teasing us Pegasus ??
      Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is mystery, Today is a gift.

Comment

Sorry, my first attempt. Photos I tried to download did not come through. I am obviously doing something wrong. Will get the hang of it when I discover the correct procedure.

Comment

Originally posted by pegasus View Post
          Sorry, my first attempt. Photos I tried to download did not come through. I am obviously doing something wrong. Will get the hang of it when I discover the correct procedure.
          Thanks for that Pegasus, I thought it was from my end.........
          Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is mystery, Today is a gift.

Comment

I would like to start a thread under the above heading which would deal with existing buildings and structures of artistic, social and historical interest in Dublin. Lesser known landmarks and buildings that are derelict and close to demolition could also be included. It hopefully would provide the opportunity for those interested to get out their cameras and perhaps leave a resource of photographic material for those that come along in 20 years or more.

Since I bought a digital camera some months ago I have wandered the City taking photos of buildings and places that could be of interest to Dubliners. To set the 'ball rolling' I attach four views of Rialto Buildings. This multi-dwelling structure is well over 100 years old and many of us would have seen the very old picture of the complex in the excellent 'Old Photos of Dublin'site. As Rialto Buildings is not on a main thoroughfare I am sure some people would be interested in seeing it as it is to-day.
            All photos I am using have been taken by me, unless otherwise stated, and Members are more than welcome to download them if they wish.
            Sounds great thread P. Look forward to your uploads.
            We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

It seems the size of the photos was too large. I have a friend who is well up on cameras and photography, unlike me, and I am trying to contact him to see how they can be reduced. Apologies for the delayed start.

Comment

It seems the size of the photos was too large. I have a friend who is well up on cameras and photography, unlike me, and I am trying to contact him to see how they can be reduced. Apologies for the delayed start.
                If I were you I'd download the free graphic program called Irfanview.

Then open whichever photos you want to upload and use the resize/resample option... making the photo desktop sized.

Save the photo to your desktop by a different name to prevent overwriting the original, and to make it easy to find for uploading.

After uploading simply delete the copy on your desktop.

Just a suggestion.... (it's what I do)
                'Never look down on a person unless you're helping them up'.

Comment

listen if you have the photos on your computers you just need to resize them....what do you use to open your photos?? open one of the photos and click on it and you should see some menu to re-edit and resize...you need your photos to be less than 500 or 600 pixpls

Comment

Welcome pegasus. copy and paste your picture to the same folder that way you keep the original as you took it and right click on the copy photo then click open with and click the paint programme. up on the top it will say image click on this and it says resize/skew click on this and reduce the size of your photo. looking forward to seeing your photos

Comment

Pegasus, welcome and look forward to your pics when you get the hang of it. Whereabouts in Rialto are the pics you did post taken....I'm not too familiar with anywhere off the beaten track over that way. Maybe if you are in town you could keep an eye on the improvements which will be starting in Crampton buildings as soon a planning is granted!

Comment

Photos are now on my first entry. Sorry for the drama. I will improve my technique hopefully as I go along.

Comment

Hi womblemum. Rialto Buildings are right beside where Fatima Mansions were. The Luas passes by one end of them. There is a Luas stop just beside them.

Comment

great thread pegasus, lovely photos

Comment

great pics of Rialto,one shows the flat where my sister lived in the 60's/70's,also me Da worked there for the dublin artisans
                              I'm a Freeborn Man of the Travellin' People

Comment

Working...
                              X