Brexit; outcome.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by KatieMorag View Post
    I don't think Damn supported Jo Swinson, wasn't she the one he called a Head Girl? I think Noel's and Swinson's views diverged on the question of stopping Brexit; Noel wanted another vote on it whereas Jo would have just cancelled it altogether. That's just the impression I got but I'm sure he'll be on himself soon put me right!
    If I remember right, that was his take on Jo Swinson. I think he seen it as I did, that she was undemocratic in her views which went against the wishes of the majority in the referendum.

In my opinion, when she made that statement she might as well have handed in her resignation. That sealed her demise and resulted in a victory for the cons.
    I google because I'm not young enough to know everything.
    Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit

Comment

I think first-time voters would've more likely voted remain.
      For the most part true, you're right....my thoughts were of the elements that went the other way. As in all over BOS where there was organised 'let's fug the system up' student and others pub gatherings voting the opposite to what was expected...which gave us, as we now know, the unexpected. I have one buddy who did just that with his close circle...just for the hell of it...and was most astounded with the result....we had a temp fallout when he told me, and gave him a severe bollocking for fecking around with something so serious...feckin eejits
      We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

• Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
        For the most part true, you're right....my thoughts were of the elements that went the other way. As in all over BOS where there was organised 'let's fug the system up' student and others pub gatherings voting the opposite to what was expected...which gave us, as we now know, the unexpected. I have one buddy who did just that with his close circle...just for the hell of it...and was most astounded with the result....we had a temp fallout when he told me, and gave him a severe bollocking for fecking around with something so serious...feckin eejits
        Another good reason not to let the general (and frankly ignorant) public have a say in something so serious when they clearly neither know nor care what they're voting for.
        BTW why are you still "buddies" with this clown? Sounds like a total eejit.
        Last edited by KatieMorag; 08-03-2020, 02:13 PM.

Comment

• [QUOTE]
          Originally posted by KatieMorag View Post
          Another good reason not to let the general (and frankly ignorant) public have a say in something so serious when they clearly neither know nor care what they're voting for.
          Well if people are going to go out of their way just to upset the apple-cart with destructive intent, yeah, best they pizza off. I'd gone to bed 'knowing' what the result would be, whereas Mrs Dammers stayed up most of the night for the count. I can tell you I was literally as shocked as David Dimbleby was...couldn't believe it. Went to see my buddy about something else ....always known he had little interest in politics except that Thatcher was one of his heroes, though he was an occasional voter. Then he told me he and a group met up and voted then went to the pub to watch what happened on the box and later back at his place...and proceeded to laugh his head off in triumph before I'd even mentioned the election....well that was it, I verbally flew at him with a tirade of expletives....which took him by surprise, after which he said, he and I must remember not to discuss politics in the future. Yeah ok

BTW why are you still "buddies" with this clown? Sounds like a total eejit.
          He's a Dubliner and was one of my charges in the mob going back forty odd years...so as he was a Dub I looked after him and still have a lot in common, is why really.

Comment

• Originally posted by bojangles View Post
            Quote DTW I blame the anti voters, especially those who took it over the line for the hell of it. Just look at the data trend now What does this mean ,anti voters , took it over the line , took what over the line ?
            Anti EU voters...The 1.4 million who took the leave vote over the line. SO WE'RE all clear on that bit now, yeah ?.

ON TO THIS NEXT BIT =

Originally posted by bojangles View Post
            But you and Jembo were talking about different things.
            Looked like we were....but was the same thing...the three and a half years of arsing about to and fro because of the barricking cost a lot of money
            JBo's additional twist by including Swinson....which I agree with because Lib-Dems were all part of the barracking....if ye follow.

JBo said =
            I agree, and here is former leader of the anti democracy party saying she will “do whatever it takes” [U]to stop Brexit [/Uhttps://www.heraldscotland.com/news/...phe-brexit-39/ Also, remember Mandy Mandelson saying “stop Brexit at all cost.These are some of the anti-democracy people that are responsible for the Huge cost. Of course there are lots more who are no longer in government and take no responsibility for their actions.
            The subject of agreement is those who were anti Brexit and who by their protracted barracking cost the country a small fortune and major disruption....ERG...Labour and as I agreed with JBo the Lib-Dems / Swinson.

He was complaining about various challenges to Brexit that cost presumably the exchequer millions to counter their arguments.
            Same as I did at the start of the thread with Joe...I said all the barracking crap was costing a small fortune. In addition to all the ERG and Labour barracking which JBo agreed with, he included Swinson, and fair enough she was anti brexit and barracked as much as the rest, and I agree with him.

Of course I was and still am anti brexit, without doubt....but when the battle was lost at the ballot box it was time to get on with it....mank and moan yes, but vote for the party deemed best to lead the country....brexit and all....esp when the choice was Tory or Labour...like the vast majority I voted for Pro Brexit Boris...Contradiction in terms ? most likely so...but when one's cornered, what's to do eh?.

Anyway.......

He posted a link to Jo Swinson (leader of the anti Democratic Party) last July saying she would still fight to stop Brexit. At the time you would have supported her ?
            OK let's sort this knicker twister then lol.
            Without looking I can't remember what he posted last July, but nonetheless, granted I voted Lib-Dem in the 2017 (T.May) election because I wanted to remain...I later voted Tory in the 2019 election...In order to keep Labour out, taking into account a vote for Lib-Dems would have been wasted, as was proven by the final result.

All that said...my actions do not detract from the fact that all parties who tried to stop brexit cost the country wasted money....which they did...Better to have accepted what the majority voted for and get on with it, rather than arse about for three n half years. So regardless of me being a remainer or having voted once for the Lib-Dems at the start...I never agreed with the protracted hooha of the ERG or Dusbyn and Swinson's stance of time and money wasting, once the battle was lost...So what might seem to be contradictory on my part...it had my logic.

Jembo's views seem to be the opposite.
            No, He and I agree that all parties who dragged it out for over three years....cost the country untold crap and particularly money. 'Money' being the operative word.

He confirmed it here =
            That’s exactly how I interpreted your post about the costs incurred during the Brexit debacle. I replied appropriately, giving examples, one of the leader of the anti-democracy party, and one other individual who was involved in sniping from the sidelines. I would say we were both on track about this and reading from the same hymn book.

Comment

They have my vote......straight away.....and most likely all those LEAVERS who changed their minds.
              DTW , you were totally in agreement with the policy pursued by the Lib Dem’s in trying to stop Brexit. Would you agree ? The above quote was in relation to LIb Dems looking for a second referendum in May 2017.

Comment

• Also I didn’t dig up a link from last July posted by Jembo. I referred to his link he posted a couple of days ago which was from Jo Swinson comment she made last July.

Comment

• Originally posted by bojangles View Post
                  DTW , you were totally in agreement with the policy pursued by the Lib Dem’s in trying to stop Brexit. Would you agree ? The above quote was in relation to LIb Dems looking for a second referendum in May 2017.
                  Of course I was in total agreement, nearly three years ago....and i said it in my last post...I said =
                  granted I voted Lib-Dem in the 2017 (T.May) election because I wanted to remain...I later voted Tory in the 2019 election...In order to keep Labour out, taking into account a vote for Lib-Dems would have been wasted, as was proven by the final result.
                  I make no bones about changing horses in the heal of the hunt. There was a lot of money wasted after I binned the LIb-Dems after the commons binned the May deal...and Swinson was ultimately part of the barracking money wasting action that followed. Only brought to a head with Boris winning a huge majority after he shut them all up with a general election.

I thought your contradiction issue was about when you told Cogs you believed JBo and I were not on the same hymn sheet regarding how all the anti brexit parties cost the country money....when we were,,,and have both explained how and why since ! You said =
                  Actually I cant figure out if Jembo and DT are on the same hymn sheet. They seem to be making contrasting views and yet are agreeing with each other.
                  But you and Jembo were talking about different things. He was complaining about various challenges to Brexit that cost presumably the exchequer millions to counter their arguments.
                  IT WAS THE SAME THING... wasted money.

What's it to be ...you still don't believe JBo and I were talking the money the anti brexit hooha cost the country....or my reasons for what why where and how I changed my mind three years ago from favouring the Lib-Dem option on May's deal, to the Tory option when it became a busted flush in 2019 ....what exactly is the issue lol.

Comment

Of course I was in total agreement, nearly three years ago....and i said it in my last post...I said =

1) We all knew that, it is well documented in the thread and you made no bones about it. Open and honest all the time, as far as I can see.

I make no bones about changing horses in the heal of the hunt. There was a lot of money wasted after I binned the LIb-Dems after the commons binned the May deal...and Swinson was ultimately part of the barracking money wasting action that followed. Only brought to a head with Boris winning a huge majority after he shut them all up with a general election.

2) There nothing wrong with “chancing horses” during the hunt, “especially if it’s knackered” politicians do it all the time as do the voters.

I thought your contradiction issue was about when you told Cogs you believed JBo and I were not on the same hymn sheet regarding how all the anti brexit parties cost the country money....when we were,,,and have both explained how and why since ! You said =

IT WAS THE SAME THING... wasted money.

3) That we were talking about the huge amount of money wasted is plain to see in our posts, I gave a couple of examples involving Swinson, the self proclaimed “Potential Prime Minister” and the retired politico Mandelson.

What's it to be ...you still don't believe JBo and I were talking the money the anti brexit hooha cost the country....or my reasons for what why where and how I changed my mind three years ago from favouring the Lib-Dem option on May's deal, to the Tory option when it became a busted flush in 2019 ....what exactly is the issue lol.

4) Our interaction on the thread is simply about logic and ““interpretation” of each other’s mindset regarding the cost to the exchequer. ie, joe public. What more can I say?
                    Last edited by jembo; 09-03-2020, 07:28 AM.

Comment

I don't think Damn supported Jo Swinson, wasn't she the one he called a Head Girl? I think Noel's and Swinson's views diverged on the question of stopping Brexit; Noel wanted another vote on it whereas Jo would have just cancelled it altogether. That's just the impression I got but I'm sure he'll be on himself soon put me right!
                      That's about the size of it.

Comment

• Originally posted by jembo View Post
                        4) Our interaction on the thread is simply about logic and ““interpretation” of each other’s mindset regarding the cost to the exchequer. ie, joe public. What more can I say?
                        I've always been a political tart...moving to whoever best gave me what I was looking for. Mostly Cons

Comment

I've always been a political tart...moving to whoever best gave me what I was looking for. Mostly Cons
                          Fair play to you M8, as the cons are the only party that know what they are doing at the moment.

Comment

Fair play to you M8, as the cons are the only party that know what they are doing at the moment.
                            If all politicians be regarded as chancers... rather a highly educated chancer.

Comment

• What ever happened to Brexit?

Comment

What ever happened to Brexit?
                                Pales into insignificance when the pubs get shut eh..

Comment

Working...
                                X