Drama Series Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KatieMorag View Post
    Good series just started on BBC 1, it's set in Dublin so probably already been on Irish TV. It's called Paula. Very good psychological thriller, well-written and acted......looking forward to episode 2.
    This has to be the weirdest series of its kind I've seen in a while, on several counts. Firstly though it's set in Dublin it was filmed in Belfast, though they've stuck in a few shots of Dublin landmarks like that curvy newish bridge I forget the name of. And halfway through the second episode we discover that Paula, the main protagonist, is a bit of a nut job herself........I won't say any more as I don't want to spoil it for Dinny but so far it's very good........

Comment

This has to be the weirdest series of its kind I've seen in a while, on several counts. Firstly though it's set in Dublin it was filmed in Belfast, though they've stuck in a few shots of Dublin landmarks like that curvy newish bridge I forget the name of. And halfway through the second episode we discover that Paula, the main protagonist, is a bit of a nut job herself........I won't say any more as I don't want to spoil it for Dinny but so far it's very good........
      That is pretty standard in TV/Film Land for years. It can be cheaper and less hassle(more period locations, permits etc) to film in another location than the location portrayed in the drama storyline. Vancouver often doubles for New York in US TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Napper Tandy View Post
        That is pretty standard in TV/Film Land for years. It can be cheaper and less hassle(more period locations, permits etc) to film in another location than the location portrayed in the drama storyline. Vancouver often doubles for New York in US TV.
        I suppose so. But this isn't a period drama and didn't even need to be set in Dublin; why not just set it in Belfast? That would make more sense.

Comment

I suppose so. But this isn't a period drama and didn't even need to be set in Dublin; why not just set it in Belfast? That would make more sense.
          Maybe accents, but I think I heard a little bit of north in Paula's accent...
          Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Originally posted by quinner View Post
            Maybe accents, but I think I heard a little bit of north in Paula's accent...
            i didn't, but i think the senior garda guy had a northern accent. I thought paula had what people call a D4 accent, but I'm not sure.

Comment

i didn't, but i think the senior garda guy had a northern accent. I thought paula had what people call a D4 accent, but I'm not sure.
              D4 is just a slower D8 accent.....Gives them time to think what to say....
              Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Barefoot if your looking in...."Line of Duty" season 1 the whole series is getting repeated on RTE1 ....first episode is starting early tomorrow morning at 1.55am so set the record button on your system....
                The mind is everything. What you think you become.

Comment

I watched the trailer, sounds more posh culchie to me.

The production company is BBC Northern Ireland Drama Productions and was partly funded by Northern Ireland Screen which might explain why they filmed in Belfast.

Comment

Oh dear......might skip episode 3 of Paula.......according to Digital Spy Forums it ends up being more of a paranormal thing than a murder mystery, not my kind of thing at all.......

Comment

Got to watch "Paula" over the weekend.....wasn't bad....Nothing paranormal in it....Just the Psycho recalling that he had a sister that died tragically and had blocked it out and only started to recall what happened when he found the picture of the young boy and girl in the basement. As it turned out Paula was as much as a Psycho as he was....she wasn't a very nice person to begin with and slowly got worse....got a complete turn against her when she started to shoot up Heroin .....

Comment

Originally posted by dinny View Post
                        Got to watch "Paula" over the weekend.....wasn't bad....Nothing paranormal in it....Just the Psycho recalling that he had a sister that died tragically and had blocked it out and only started to recall what happened when he found the picture of the young boy and girl in the basement. As it turned out Paula was as much as a Psycho as he was....she wasn't a very nice person to begin with and slowly got worse....got a complete turn against her when she started to shoot up Heroin .....
                        oh......maybe i will watch it......I was just going by comments on another forum but maybe i got the wrong end of the stick.

Comment

oh......maybe i will watch it......I was just going by comments on another forum but maybe i got the wrong end of the stick.
                          I hated the fact that it was filmed in Northern Ireland....it looked nothing like Dublin .....especially the lock up garage where her brother was living ...in the background were high rise blocks of flats that don't exist in Dublin.... the phone boxes were British .....the restaurant looked like one i was in in Carrickfergus years ago

Comment

Rewatched the Joan Hickson "Miss Marples", fantastic TV with great casts and very understated Miss Marple. Am I wrong but are there less great character actors these days? The new Miss Marples casts seem to be fleshed out with comedians turned actors rather than classically trained character actors, is that a a result of the death of repertory companies in the UK?

Comment

I'm delighted .....Jimmy McGovern is brilliant....my favourite series writer ....also like Anna Friel
                              Watched the series Broken over the weekend , I'm a big fan of the brilliant Jimmy McGovern......the acting in the series was second to none, the topics in each episode were typical of life in poor unforgotten working class areas of England (according to people who have lived there)......but it was the most depressing tv series i have ever seen .....

Comment

Watched the series Broken over the weekend , I'm a big fan of the brilliant Jimmy McGovern......the acting in the series was second to none, the topics in each episode were typical of life in poor unforgotten working class areas of England (according to people who have lived there)......but it was the most depressing tv series i have ever seen .....
                                yes, it's been very good.....haven't watched last week's episode yet.....was that the last one?

Comment

Working...
                                X