OBLATE school INCHICORE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fitzy View Post
    thanks DTW Seosamh Ó Broin lives a few doors down from my sister , they speak most days and with my sister and her family been Irish speakers they converse in Irish , his book is a must have for anyone interested in Inchicore / Kilmainham , I got mine in Bols chemist a few years ago may dropped into Seosamh Ó Broin one day and he signed it for me , hope he brings out his second book soon
    Just saw this post Fitzer....last time I was home, met up with Seosamh and we took a history walk around Inchicore, at the end of it I dropped into Boles and asked if I could take a pic of the shop.....Mr B said OK but didn't stay to be in the pic.... but someone else got him in the past....the shop is like a timewharp inside, not a lot has changed since the 30's at least.

S signed the copy of the book I have for a cousin of mine a long time ago, he gave it to my Da who passed it onto me before he died....a great read.
    Attached Files
    We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
      Just saw this post Fitzer....last time I was home, met up with Seosamh and we took a history walk around Inchicore, at the end of it I dropped into Boles and asked if I could take a pic of the shop.....Mr B said OK but didn't stay to be in the pic.... but someone else got him in the past....the shop is like a timewharp inside, not a lot has changed since the 30's at least.

S signed the copy of the book I have for a cousin of mine a long time ago, he gave it to my Da who passed it onto me before he died....a great read.
      If I remember correctly,there used to be a A C Boles Chemist in Dolphins Barn Opposite the old Leinster movie house.Was this the same family?

Comment

Originally posted by fitzy View Post
        have some of Joey ,mr Sweeny and mr Garry somewhere , there's a reunion next thursday and I will try dig them out by then , hope to see some ex-class mates there
        Think I started in the Oblates 1959 and left in 1967 or 68. I had Mr McKnight most of my time there. Had Joey sometimes always had me singing a tune called Sweet Afton.

Comment

Originally posted by P Cahill View Post
          Think I started in the Oblates 1959 and left in 1967 or 68. I had Mr McKnight most of my time there. Had Joey sometimes always had me singing a tune called Sweet Afton.
          I had Joey in 75/6. Sweet Afton was a song I remember well from class. He used to send us to the factories behind Jamestown Rd looking for round wooden wheels for an invention he was working on.

Comment

Thats my class confirmation photo. Stephen Murray.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed O'Gorman View Post
              If I remember correctly,there used to be a A C Boles Chemist in Dolphins Barn Opposite the old Leinster movie house.Was this the same family?
              Yes Ed there was a branch at SCR Dolphins Barn. Hear tell old Mr Boles was attacked by two druggies in 2013, threatened with a knife and screwdriver by the scum after they jumped over the back wall and entered the shop as he was packing up. He was then 81 years old, and I went to meet him in his shop Inchicore just before that, where he allowed me to take some pix of the shop interior which was pretty much the same as when it opened in 1920's i believe.

Comment

Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
                Yes Ed there was a branch at SCR Dolphins Barn. Hear tell old Mr Boles was attacked by two druggies in 2013, threatened with a knife and screwdriver by the scum after they jumped over the back wall and entered the shop as he was packing up. He was then 81 years old, and I went to meet him in his shop Inchicore just before that, where he allowed me to take some pix of the shop interior which was pretty much the same as when it opened in 1920's i believe.
                DTW I am sorry to hear what happened to Mr Boles. He was a very nice man. We used to get all our prescriptions fulfilled in his shop in SCR

Comment

Originally posted by Vico2 View Post
                  DTW I am sorry to hear what happened to Mr Boles. He was a very nice man. We used to get all our prescriptions fulfilled in his shop in SCR
                  Yes he was helluva nice chap to me when I dropped in.....think he's since retired as the attack gave him heart problems.

Comment

Working...
                  X