This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by cogito View Post
    Did you pick up a copy yet ? I'd hazard a guess the author's a member...
    Very pleased with book....a bit chunky and awkward for reading in bed......It has four pho illustration sections, though I have most of the pix, there are a couple of interesting ones, Joe leonard for instance.....and the rest looks the bizzo..It arrived this morn and I've done all of the introduction and 18 pages of the Overview. I think I'm gonna enjoy it.
    Attached Files
    We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

Did you pick up a copy yet ? I'd hazard a guess the author's a member...
      It talks of the first four members of the Squad being Ben Barrett....Paddy Daly.....Sean Doyle.....and.....Joe Leonard....were chosen from seven attendees at a meeting 1 May 1919. Though formally initiated 19-09-1919, a 4 man party / 'squad' (presumably as above, I'd have to double check) had already got two killings under their belt.
      I'm wondering if that matches our earlier info....I look later.

Comment

I'll see what I can dig out... the picture also turns up on a gallery page (without a date tag) on www.irishvolunteers.org and a comment with it that there's a 'story' behind the series of photos in the Gresham - though I haven't located that particular story. The people on that site know their stuff so it should make interesting reading - perhaps it relates to the account you referred to of the Christmas drinks for the 'staff'...

As of right now, though I'm trying to keep an open mind, I'm tending to adopt the sceptical approach that there are no extant photographs of Michael Collins taken between the general outbreak of hostilities in 1919 and the Truce in mid 1921.

As this discussion relates to Collins - and not The Squad in particular, I'm proposing to copy Mark D's original post with the pic over to the Collins thread - and move mine and your related comments over to that thread along with it.
        Originally posted by cogito View Post
        Here's another from the same night...

[ATTACH]52677[/ATTACH]

http://www.flickr.com/photos/calcuha...n/photostream/
        I can now quote from Joseph EA Connell Jnr's new book 'Michael Collins 1916-1922' that he confirms on page 56, that on Christmas Eve 1920, Collins was in the Gresham with some friends "to celebrate the holiday" not to mark the ratification of any 'Treaty' (7 Jan 1922). The Auxies raided (like I said years ago now lol) and Collins gave his name as John Grace....he had an OS map in his pocket with '6 Rifles" written on it, he blagged it that it said 'Refills" and although the Auxies were comparing an old photo with his face....they let him go.....It was noted as his closest shave ever...but I think the Mansion House close shave was even closer. Anywhere there we have it....let the doubters doubt no more....and bad cess to the auctioneers who labled the photo wrong in the first place.

Comment

• Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
          It talks of the first four members of the Squad being Ben Barrett....Paddy Daly.....Sean Doyle.....and.....Joe Leonard....were chosen from seven attendees at a meeting 1 May 1919. Though formally initiated 19-09-1919, a 4 man party / 'squad' (presumably as above, I'd have to double check) had already got two killings under their belt.
          I'm wondering if that matches our earlier info....I look later.
          Yeah....very interesting DTW.....i see you were right all along.....forget the doubting Thomases.....they simply haven't a clue.

Comment

I can now quote from Joseph EA Connell Jnr's new book 'Michael Collins 1916-1922' that he confirms on page 56, that on Christmas Eve 1920, Collins was in the Gresham with some friends "to celebrate the holiday" not to mark the ratification of any 'Treaty' (7 Jan 1922). The Auxies raided (like I said years ago now lol) and Collins gave his name as John Grace....he had an OS map in his pocket with '6 Rifles" written on it, he blagged it that it said 'Refills" and although the Auxies were comparing an old photo with his face....they let him go.....It was noted as his closest shave ever...but I think the Mansion House close shave was even closer. Anywhere there we have it....let the doubters doubt no more....and bad cess to the auctioneers who labled the photo wrong in the first place.
            The Christmas office party at the Gresham in 1920 is well documented at this stage - but we also know MC had offices and living quarters in the hotel during the months after the Truce - so the two events don't necessarily rule each other out.
            Everything is self-evident.

Comment

The Christmas office party at the Gresham in 1920 is well documented at this stage - but we also know MC had offices and living quarters in the hotel during the months after the Truce - so the two events don't necessarily rule each other out.
              Yes they do.....youre losing sitght of the original debate re the Gresh pix taken just after the treaty was ratified 1922.....miles away.......Then we had your declaration of no pix taken tween 1919 and 1920.....How many times would you like to move the goalposts..... Youll catch up one day

Comment

Yes they do.....youre losing sitght of the original debate re the Gresh pix taken just after the treaty was ratified 1922.....miles away.......Then we had your declaration of no pix taken tween 1919 and 1920.....How many times would you like to move the goalposts..... Youll catch up one day
                I've had a look at the old posts from 2013 - and the question of pix of MC during the Tan War ? The wedding after Bloody Sunday... that would count for one. The Gresham... possible.

Comment

I've had a look at the old posts from 2013 - and the question of pix of MC during the Tan War ? The wedding after Bloody Sunday... that would count for one. The Gresham... possible.
                  You said you couldnt think of any. ...now we have two i know of for sure.
                  I'll dig out yer post.

Comment

You said you couldnt think of any. ...now we have two i know of for sure.
                    I'll dig out yer post.
                    One probable and one possible in two years. Not exactly Keeping Up With The Kardashians...

Comment

One probable and one possible in two years. Not exactly Keeping Up With The Kardashians...
                      That as it may....it is way ahead of the Cogitians :-)

Comment

• Originally posted by quinner View Post
                        I often wonder.....why did the anti treaty faction not go north....and fight the british.....
                        Some did.....

Comment

Some did.....
                          Good question DTW

Comment

Went through the thread again... leaving aside the already contentious Rathgar wedding photo the only one I can see as dated between Soloheadbeg in 1919 and The Truce in 1921 is the one on post #261 dated as 1920 in St Endas promoting the Dail Loan. But - don't we have an earlier post showing Pathe movie coverage of the same event accurately dated as 1919....
                            Really ?

Originally posted by cogito View Post
                            Oh alright... here's a second one, taken around April 1919 (two months after Soloheadbeg) at a meeting of the first Dail.

[ATTACH]52869[/ATTACH]

Why so glum ? Maybe because he's sitting beside Cathal...

[ATTACH]52868[/ATTACH]
                            Nudder wan here ye missed....... Tom Barry's Wedding back yard Vaughn's Hotel Aug 1921..
                            And there's more !!!!!!
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Vico2 View Post
                              Good question DTW
                              Yes indeed....

Comment

• Another 1921 pic.
                                Attached Files