The beginning of the End?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cogito View Post
    Anyone who goes to the bother of following the YouTube link above back to source will see that the vast majority of Irish comments on the video express the opinion that the cop carried out his duty in a proper fashion despite having a camera shoved in his face while he was being taunted as a 'coward' by some brave soul with a megaphone...

And to those of you posting in your criticisms of Irish policing from abroad - I would suggest you look at the 'discipline' of the forces in your own jurisdictions under similar circumstances....
    One must wonder how many of those who made comments on You Tube and elsewhere were actually there.... or even within a county mile of the incident.

A man can be clearly seen lying on the ground. This man was attacked and struck on the body and finally on the head by a police baton. It is illegal to use a baton above the shoulders.

Anyone who has been in a riot situation will know that it can be very frightening, but that your training and discipline will prevent you from striking out unless you or your comrades are in a clear and present danger.

People in protest situations generally shout loudly, but someone with a loud voice does not present a clear and present danger.
    'Never look down on a person unless you're helping them up'.

Comment

And to those of you posting in your criticisms of Irish policing from abroad - I would suggest you look at the 'discipline' of the forces in your own jurisdictions under similar circumstances....
      If I were to say that the French police were the worst in the world would that make the GardaĆ­ more professional in real terms?
      No? I didn't think so.

Comment

he actually looked quite calm and collected to me given the circumstances, going on the couple of minutes of footage . its not a great job when you are up against the general public regardless of the issue.
        in god i trust...everyone else cash only.

Comment

It was never the intention to invade Leinster House .... so I don't know where people got that idea from. It was just to call for the jailing of bankers and sack the government.

They had a people's referendum at 4pm on Molesworth St. so we'll see how the result of that goes. Newstalk poll showed a 90% yes in favour of the protest.

If people didn't like the idea of the protest ... that is their prerogative. Any suggestions on how to sort out the countries mess would be greatly appreciated. At least we did something and I am proud of that.

To say... years ago we had the same... but just got on with it.....to my mind is just like saying "ok we'll just roll over and take some more".....no thanks.. as a mother and grandmother I have had enough and WIll not take anymore ....thank you!!

The Gardai in the main were courteous and doing their job .... but I have to say there was an element of "rowdy" cops just waiting to excercise their power.....and boy did they do that, without provocation.
          Last edited by Pammy; 20-09-2013, 08:21 PM.
          It is what it is.

Comment

Anyone who goes to the bother of following the YouTube link above back to source will see that the vast majority of Irish comments on the video express the opinion that the cop carried out his duty in a proper fashion despite having a camera shoved in his face while he was being taunted as a 'coward' by some brave soul with a megaphone...

Are you suggesting we by any chance shouldn't have an opinion? Police here in Toronto have their incidents too in fact one has just been charged with murder...I have an opinion on police brutality no matter where in the world it is...it is not acceptable

Comment

With all due respect Eamon....were you there....did you see and hear what actually happened.... that Garda had the pepper spray by his side ... just waiting for the chance to use it....I was there at that particular time and saw exactly what happened....so those who were not there ... stop speculating.
              It is what it is.

Comment

Says it all........Among the groups represented at the demonstrations were the 32 County Sovereignty Movement, Republican Sinn Fein, Eirigi and Republican Voice.

Other marchers staging peaceful protests included residents from the controversial Priory Hall development as well as campaigners against austerity measures.
                We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

I posed a question on this topic but on another thread.

I asked what would happen if the protesters did get into Kildare St and even breached the gates of Leinster House.

My question was ignored.

Any old soldiers here? You should know.

There is a detachment of Military Police on duty inside the perimeter of Government Buildings (which of course includes Leinster House).

There is also a detachment of infantry personnel who provide a fire piquet duty.

Anything that happens inside the gates of Leinster House is their responsibility, as military law applies.

In effect Leinster House is a Military Installation while there are military personnel on duty.

This may seem far fetched.

It's not.

Anyone remember that man that drove the mixer truck up to but without touching the gate? He was within miliseconds of death. The MAG man (General Purpose Machine Gun) was about to fire a burst into the cab if the truck had hit the gate.

That soldier had to take time off (a day or two) because of how close he came to killing a man.

When may an Irish soldier on guard duty fire ball (live bullets) ammunition without warning?

1. In defence of his own life.
                  2. In defence of his comrades life.
                  3. To prevent himself from being forcibly disarmed.
                  4. For the safety of the post concerned.
                  5. To prevent destruction to government property.

A bit over the top for a few protesters breaching the gates of Leinster House?

Perhaps, but remember that truck driver.

Protest by all means, that's our right.

But for gods sake never even think of breaching the gates or any part of the periphery of Leinster House!

Okay folks, just something to think about.

Comment

Rashers your question was not ignored....it was answered in above post...19.
                    It is what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Pammy View Post
                      Rashers your question was not ignored....it was answered in above post...19.
                      Its okay, if I was on duty sure I wouldn't dream of shooting you Pammy

Comment

Originally posted by Rashers View Post
                        But for gods sake never even think of breaching the gates or any part of the periphery of Leinster House! Okay folks, just something to think about.
                        At Leinster House, officers used pepper spray on protesters who were trying to push past the garda barriers.
                        A SPECIAL garda team headed by an inspector has been set up to investigate violent clashes during street protests in the centre of Dublin.

Comment

Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
                          At Leinster House, officers used pepper spray on protesters who were trying to push past the garda barriers.
                          http://www.independent.ie/irish-news...-29592324.html
                          You have that quite wrong....that may have happened later in the day....but at ten in the morning that was not the case...
                          It is what it is.

Comment

You have that quite wrong....that may have happened later in the day....but at ten in the morning that was not the case...
                            If it happened "later in the day" how can it be wrong ?

Haven't a clue what happened at 1000 Pam, was relating to info regarding Leinster House and the more devious elements of the protest only.

Comment

It was never the intention to invade Leinster House .... so I don't know where people got that idea from. It was just to call for the jailing of bankers and sack the government.

They had a people's referendum at 4pm on Molesworth St. so we'll see how the result of that goes. Newstalk poll showed a 90% yes in favour of the protest.

If people didn't like the idea of the protest ... that is their prerogative. Any suggestions on how to sort out the countries mess would be greatly appreciated. At least we did something and I am proud of that.

To say... years ago we had the same... but just got on with it.....to my mind is just like saying "ok we'll just roll over and take some more".....no thanks.. as a mother and grandmother I have had enough and WIll not take anymore ....thank you!!

The Gardai in the main were courteous and doing their job .... but I have to say there was an element of "rowdy" cops just waiting to excercise their power.....and boy did they do that, without provocation.
                              Well said Pammy. I was not there but having met you a couple of times and know you are as they say ' a lady' I take your word about it

Comment

Originally posted by Rashers View Post
                                This Guard goes out of his way to attack peaceful protesters and pepper spray 3 of them. He then when pulled up by The camera man throws another camera man into him.

It's good to see resistance by the great unwashed mass's

Comment

Working...
                                X