The History of Crumlin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by joan mack View Post
    I have a nephew who married a lady from Russia she loves it here but when she came first she was amazed to see so many gardens with so many flowers. She said in Russia land was mostly used for growing vegetables.

She now loves flowers Another Crumlin photo This time Rutland Avenue
    Joan , another great pic thank you ......some wild Russian Lupins for you ....these grow near our dacha and survive every year despite the winters of -30 or below
    Attached Files

Comment

• I believe a ''Stedman'' from Rutland Avenue was in the Irish Fusiliers.....
      Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

It was taken on Rutland ave A family celebration among the names mentioned where Stedmans and a few others, I will look it up.

Another Crumlin photo Durrow Road these photos are all on the Walsh Photographers thread Francis Street You may get more info from that site Stanley
        How many great photos are still tucked away in those humongous hand bags .....somewhere.....if only I knew

Comment

• I love the Lupins I have some in my garden always last a long time as to Photos Nick we have millions of them despite the fact that cameras were scarce. Thanks to aunts and uncles who love to take photos and of course to Arthur who stood on O'Connells Bridge every day for over thirty years even Christmas day Your school friend Nick
          Attached Files

Comment

• Thanks Joan ....you are an incredible person , I've now read a few of your short stories ......I have two books on the go ,one factual and the other fiction .....I hope I will get a chance of finish them sometime.....just get the old writer's block continuously .....that's probably because I am not a writer .....I'm a gabber .....

Comment

• I don't think you ever read my short stories Nick I have some on Kindle But I mainly write them for my friends and family. I hope to have a book published shortly I keep putting it on the long finger but these short stories are on Kindle
              Attached Files

Comment

I don't think you ever read my short stories Nick I have some on Kindle But I mainly write them for my friends and family. I hope to have a book published shortly I keep putting it on the long finger but these short stories are on Kindle
                Well , I read about Jack Daly and Eileen Murphy

Comment

• Originally posted by cosmo View Post
                  tommy mc carthy front row second in from right, played for Athlone town ,I played with him later in the seventies.
                  Tommy was a few years older than me but he used to play football with us on the field on Cashel road.My Granfather wrote to a few English clubs telling them about his talent when he was young but they said he was too small to make it.He was a great ball player as a kid

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick Rossiter View Post
                    Well , I read about Jack Daly and Eileen Murphy
                    Gosh Nick I wonder where you read them. I have even forgotten where they are here is another Crumlin Photo Kells Road
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Leighlin road I knew this family
                      Attached Files

Comment

Leighlin road I knew this family
                        joan.....I delivered milk early in the morning and stuffed The Irish Press et al through letterboxes all over Crumlin ...only ever saw the hands of the woman of the house when we came for payment of a weekend. I was told to do that by the Jewish lender....I believe his name was Mr Radner ....who my ma and da ...borrowed from before the advent of the Credit Unions ......'never look them in the eyes , they can distract you .....just look at their hands and ....your money"

Comment

• Jew men were very Popular in Crumlin and the poor women desperate to provide confirmation clothes or communion clothes or Even to fund a Wedding etc. were quick to borrow.
                          The prices they charged was very high I think I remember one lady telling me thirty pound on every hundred.

Most husbands were unaware of the huge outflow of money from the weekly wage and wondered what the women were doing with the money,
                          I was told if you had paid back half a loan and wanted to renew it you were paying much more interest. It was Robbery and wrecked many a home.

Thankfully the Credit Unions put a stop to it all. Dockets were also very popular and many a jumper or shoes or even records were bought on dockets but the interest on those was not nearly as high, I often got a Bolgers Docket and the delight of spending it was great. Paying it back for twenty weeks however was hard. But then it was time for another one. It was live now pay later.

Only thing most people were sure to pay was life insurance. To be buried in a paupers grave would have been the greatest disgrace.

I was only eighteen married two weeks when my Mam sent the Insurance man to me I remember well the penny policies and although I insured my Mam and dad who were in their early forties I only received fifty pound after twenty three years on my Mam I left it soon after to a better plan. You were not allowed to insure your children for more then ten pound. That was in case you might have killed them just to get the money I was told or maybe infant mortality was too high at that time, Very hard times
                          Last edited by joan mack; 17-01-2018, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Jew men were very Popular in Crumlin and the poor women desperate to provide confirmation clothes or communion clothes or Even to fund a Wedding etc. were quick to borrow.
                            The prices they charged was very high I think I remember one lady telling me thirty pound on every hundred.

Most husbands were unaware of the huge outflow of money from the weekly wage and wondered what the women were doing with the money,
                            I was told if you had paid back half a loan and wanted to renew it you were paying much more interest. It was Robbery and wrecked many a home.

Thankfully the Credit Unions put a stop to it all. Dockets were also very popular and many a jumper or shoes or even records were bought on dockets but the interest on those was not nearly as high, I often got a Bolgers Docket and the delight of spending it was great. Paying it back for twenty weeks however was hard. But then it was time for another one. It was live now pay later.

Only thing most people were sure to pay was life insurance. To be buried in a paupers grave would have been the greatest disgrace.

I was only eighteen married two weeks when my Mam sent the Insurance man to me I remember well the penny policies and although I insured my Mam and dad who were in their early forties I only received fifty pound after twenty three years on my Mam I left it soon after to a better plan. You were not allowed to insure your children for more then ten pound. That was in case you might have killed them just to get the money I was told or maybe infant mortality was too high at that time, Very hard times
                            Joan ....your stories move me in many ways....do you DubForum people get together ever? If so I would love to attend.

Comment

• This was a meet when Boxman who owns the site came home from Australia a few years ago. There are a few posters here that still post

Bet you can't pick me out.
                              Attached Files

Comment

This was a meet when Boxman who owns the site came home from Australia a few years ago. There are a few posters here that still post

Bet you can't pick me out.
                                Well from your stories I would guess you're the one with the purple scarf ....but I have been known for my inaccuracies in the past

Comment

Working...
                                X