X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The piebald horse. Is that the Cow Lane or maybe the real name is Little Britain St which is/was off Parnell St. Called the Cow Lane because there were abbatoirs in the lane?

Wrights. I can't make out the street name, it wouldn't be Marino Mart? The one in Marino Mart (a fish shop) used to have a sign in the window that stated, "If it swims we have it", so we used to go in and ask for a mermaid and then run like the clappers because the man used to chase us, usually with something lethal looking in his hand!
    'Never look down on a person unless you're helping them up'.

Comment

• Originally posted by quinner View Post
      maybe they were also to stop the axle hubs from gouging grooves in the walls.....
      and that as well.....
      We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

• Originally posted by Rashers View Post
        The piebald horse. Is that the Cow Lane or maybe the real name is Little Britain St which is/was off Parnell St. Called the Cow Lane because there were abbatoirs in the lane?

Wrights. I can't make out the street name, it wouldn't be Marino Mart? The one in Marino Mart (a fish shop) used to have a sign in the window that stated, "If it swims we have it", so we used to go in and ask for a mermaid and then run like the clappers because the man used to chase us, usually with something lethal looking in his hand!
        I tell you what the street sign says in the post R, That's a funny Fish n Chipper story. The piebald is at the back of the land...still Molyneux Yard.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
          I tell you what the street sign says in the post R, That's a funny Fish n Chipper story. The piebald is at the back of the land...still Molyneux Yard.
          Thanks DTW. I thought the one with the piebald looked like our lane for having a ware before leaving the mot home anywhere in the Summerhill area. I can be excused though because it was usually only seen in the dark.

Comment

I think there was a wholesalers on the left side of the entrance....sweets etc,,,,,,
            Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by kears View Post
              any photos of Kearns Butchers shop and Scanlans Pub i worked in kearns from 1973 till it closed in the earl 80's
              Looking through photos I came across the above. I haven't got the photo you look for, but I know the messenger that worked for years in Kearns and is now a taxi driver.

DTW might come up with a pic for you. Tip: look in again , you never know what photos will be waiting for you.

Comment

Thanks DTW. I thought the one with the piebald looked like our lane for having a ware before leaving the mot home anywhere in the Summerhill area. I can be excused though because it was usually only seen in the dark.
                Ye durty ting ya....oil axe no more !

Comment

• Originally posted by cosmo View Post
                  I dune nuttin!!

lord Edward st.

steins opticians holdin back the big builders, only closed down last week or so.

st josephs mansions 81.

manor st 86.
                  Is Richard Pender anything to do with "Penders Fireplaces"?

Rare.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rare Bennett View Post
                    Is Richard Pender anything to do with "Penders Fireplaces"?

Rare.
                    Were they the same firm where we used to get our stay-bright buttons for our uniforms? A military outfitter?

Comment

Saw Rashers ask a question about the location of this this first pic at another place, (no not dat place another one)...and I remembered I had some in me stash.....

The first one is someones bad attempt at making a 'young' pic look old. The second pic would be more like it. The 3rd pic is still 'young' but looks right in...The 4th pic is as it was way back and pic 5 is more up to date.

I think the place must be connected in some way with William Molyneux of Peter Street (big house) fame, there can't have been many Mollynuxes in Dublin loike, now can der. Love the 3 wheeled barrow and the handcart. The street sign says Molyneux Yard.

A point of interest; The round stones up the lane, and which we used to see all over the city at one time....are called Jostle Stones....put there in days of yore to stop horse cart wheels jostling the corners and brickwork of the buildings.
                      Haha, great memories! I took the passenger door off a brand new Renault in that lane, had picked it up from the car dealer 20 minutes earlier. Chopped it clean off!
                      Such is life - Ned Kelly

Comment

Were they the same firm where we used to get our stay-bright buttons for our uniforms? A military outfitter?
                        I have a vague recollection of getting them in Garnett & Keegans in Parliament St. I might be wrong though, it was a long time ago.

Comment

Looking through photos I came across the above. I haven't got the photo you look for, but I know the messenger that worked for years in Kearns and is now a taxi driver.

DTW might come up with a pic for you. Tip: look in again , you never know what photos will be waiting for you.
                          I took the rubbish out of there for years

Comment

• jones rd , 30s.

north earl st.

tin church, sean mc dermott st.50s

39 into town ,72, looks like aer lingus girl is pressed for time.

nortumberland rd 1896. [is tha clanwilliam house on right ?]
                            Attached Files
                            in god i trust...everyone else cash only.

Comment

• Paddy Boyle Fruit Market 1962

Comment

• is tha clanwilliam house on right ?

Looks the same as in this national library online info.
                                Well worth a looksee

Old age and treachery will outdo youth and skill anyday

Comment

Working...
                                X