The History of Crumlin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by joan mack View Post
    Tea leafs are messy and now that people have a choice they choose teabags but tea leafs are still on sale. I am told not many people buy them.

My Late Father collected them and put them on his vegies in the garden it was amazing the mountain of tealeaves after a few weeks but my mother always had the kettle on and a cup of tea was a cure for all ills
    They used to use wet tea leaves when sweeping years ago. It kept the dust from rising. In our school the nuns used to have the damp leaves in tins and then spread them on the floor for the big sweeps. I presume they use vacuum cleaners nowadays.

Comment

• Yes Vico in our poverty in Crumlin some relative gave us carpet for the stairs and landing and we were so posh but with no vacum cleaner they were dusty with nine pair of feet running up and down. I was on bedroom and stairs duty That

Included the stairs, As I had asthma it was the wrong job for me as the dust would rise. So my father covered the stairs with wet tea leafs so I would not smother lol! Can you imagine putting wet tealeaves on a lovely carpet our only luxury. Never seemed to harm the carpet and the clouds of dust were kept under control

Comment

Yes Vico in our poverty in Crumlin some relative gave us carpet for the stairs and landing and we were so posh but with no vacum cleaner they were dusty with nine pair of feet running up and down. I was on bedroom and stairs duty That

Included the stairs, As I had asthma it was the wrong job for me as the dust would rise. So my father covered the stairs with wet tea leafs so I would not smother lol! Can you imagine putting wet tealeaves on a lovely carpet our only luxury. Never seemed to harm the carpet and the clouds of dust were kept under control
        OK ....who can remember the first time you saw a vacuum cleaner?

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick Rossiter View Post
          I sprayed a motorbike with one over fifty years ago

Comment

• Originally posted by rasher View Post
            I sprayed a motorbike with one over fifty years ago
            Rasher ....that was blowing ...not sucking!

Comment

We sold ours on EBay , last week . It was just sitting there gathering dust .

Comment

Rasher ....that was blowing ...not sucking!
                The first vacuum cleaner I saw was my grandmother's upright one.

On our vacuum cleaner which was a hoover. It was pink and you could put the hose in the far end and it would blow out anything that was stuck in the tube. There was also a jar with it and a spray nozzle attached. You could attach it to the other end of the hoover and spray paint it you wanted to. Modern cleaners don't have that facility.

Comment

• My one is also gathering dust. Most of my floors are wooden and my son bought me one that looks like a long stick just keep it charged then run around like a witch on a broomstick.

I have has some awful ones over the years smelly bags hard to get bags for and ones to heavy to lift.

I remember the ones that blew out the other end Vico I am waiting for the Robot one

Comment

• Originally posted by Vico2 View Post
                    The first vacuum cleaner I saw was my grandmother's upright one.

On our vacuum cleaner which was a hoover. It was pink and you could put the hose in the far end and it would blow out anything that was stuck in the tube. There was also a jar with it and a spray nozzle attached. You could attach it to the other end of the hoover and spray paint it you wanted to. Modern cleaners don't have that facility.
                    You have it right Vico2 on the jar there was a lid with a hole in it,so you filled the jar with paint and if you covered the hole by placing your finger on it the paint would spray out. I learned this watching a few men spraying camerflage paint on tents in our back garden when I was very young

Comment

• Originally posted by bojangles View Post
                      We sold ours on EBay , last week . It was just sitting there gathering dust .

Comment

• In Crumlin Late fifties we did without a lot but never without the Evening Paper

My Father loved after his tea to sit down and read it from start to finish and he would point out to my Mam the bargains in the Blackrock Drapery etc.

I could read from a very early age before I was taught in school I learned from my Dad. So I would wait for him to finish it to get it to read,

I was never allowed to read it first as my arms were too small to turn over the big pages and I was always been told off for making a balls of it lol!

One thing sticks out in my mind and that is MURDERS they were regarded as sensational and kids would talk on their way to school people would talk in the shops on buses and in workplaces.

Now Murder gets a slight mention a man or women is arrested and months later when you have forgotten the case is heard and he or she gets life which is roughly seven years,

Today the most sensational new is SEX who is doing it who is getting away with it and people are really interested in cases that are being tried. At the moment all my friends are talking about the Rugby Stars trial and its more addictive then any soap opera.

When did life start being so meaningless and sex become so very important

Comment

In Crumlin Late fifties we did without a lot but never without the Evening Paper

My Father loved after his tea to sit down and read it from start to finish and he would point out to my Mam the bargains in the Blackrock Drapery etc.

I could read from a very early age before I was taught in school I learned from my Dad. So I would wait for him to finish it to get it to read,

I was never allowed to read it first as my arms were too small to turn over the big pages and I was always been told off for making a balls of it lol!

One thing sticks out in my mind and that is MURDERS they were regarded as sensational and kids would talk on their way to school people would talk in the shops on buses and in workplaces.

Now Murder gets a slight mention a man or women is arrested and months later when you have forgotten the case is heard and he or she gets life which is roughly seven years,

Today the most sensational new is SEX who is doing it who is getting away with it and people are really interested in cases that are being tried. At the moment all my friends are talking about the Rugby Stars trial and its more addictive then any soap opera.

When did life start being so meaningless and sex become so very important
                          Think sex was always very important Joan, we're allowed to read and discuss in now, its no longer a ''taboo'' subject but maybe its getting too much mention now, reports becoming a bit too explicit. Even on so called family shows on tv you'll hear expressions like ''riding'' ''organisms'' ''how's it hanging'' etc. While I'm all for a healthy attitude towards sex I do think its tossed [no pun intended] at us too much, from the media.

Comment

• Seems to be the all important thing now Paudge another shooting in Cooock Last night a small paragraph in the paper

Life seems so cheap.

I am just looking out the window at a very grey sky and awaiting the Beast from the East, My Mam and dad always talked about 1947 as being the worst one ever and although I was alive I was too young to remember it, But any time snow came the story would be told again and again

about the dreaded snows of 47 and the shops closed and people up to their knees trudging around looking for somewhere open to get bread and milk and telling everyone on the way when they found this Havan

The story got more outlandish as the years went on until we felt we were lucky to have survived.

My Mam said it was a great time in one sense as all the neighbours in Crumlin gathered in each others homes sharing what ever they had until the snows were gone

Comment

Seems to be the all important thing now Paudge another shooting in Cooock Last night a small paragraph in the paper

Life seems so cheap.

I am just looking out the window at a very grey sky and awaiting the Beast from the East, My Mam and dad always talked about 1947 as being the worst one ever and although I was alive I was too young to remember it, But any time snow came the story would be told again and again

about the dreaded snows of 47 and the shops closed and people up to their knees trudging around looking for somewhere open to get bread and milk and telling everyone on the way when they found this Havan

The story got more outlandish as the years went on until we felt we were lucky to have survived.

My Mam said it was a great time in one sense as all the neighbours in Crumlin gathered in each others homes sharing what ever they had until the snows were gone
                              1947 the year before I was born but I heard a lot of stories about it from my mother.There was a few kids drowned in the quarry on Sundrive road,they were skating on on the water witch was iced up and the ice broke. I also heard that the winter started late that year around April and went into June

Comment

• Originally posted by rasher View Post
                                1947 the year before I was born but I heard a lot of stories about it from my mother.There was a few kids drowned in the quarry on Sundrive road,they were skating on on the water witch was iced up and the ice broke. I also heard that the winter started late that year around April and went into June
                                I remember the incident of the kids going through the ice on Sundrive Quarry. The police were dragging the Quarry for the bodies for days. That was before the corpo turned it into a landfill rubbish dump.
                                I google because I'm not young enough to know everything.
                                Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit

Comment

Working...
                                X