Richmond Street Sth. - old and new

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Auld Decency View Post
    This started out as a hotel at the harbour which opened in 1807. In 1858 it was taken over by a Catholic order of nuns, who used it as an asylum (St. Mary's) for blind girls. A few years later they successfully appealed to the Guardians of the South Dublin Union for some finance (it cost £10 to keep a girl for a year), though the Irish Times in an editorial frowned upon this proselytising by "Romanists", while they lauded the efforts of the Protestant-run "Home for Orphans" at 7 South Richmond Street (which advertised frequently for "fresh souls to save" in the same newspaper).

Ten years later the Asylum was sold to a Mr. Isaac Cole, who renovated it and returned it to its original function as a hotel, to accommodate 100 persons. It was popular among officers visiting the nearby Portobello Barracks (who would occasionally pop across South Richmond Street to the Grand Canal Tavern for a drink) and claimed it was the nearest hotel to the RDS grounds. A troupe of entertainers on tour were staying there when the 1916 Rising broke out, and Davies pub across the road by occupied by the rebels. They couldn't get a wink of sleep that night due to the excitement. Later the building became a nursing home.

This must be one of the first pictures of the place:

great pics......do you happen to know when ...ever ready...was built there....
    Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Resplendent in the March sunshine.
      There should be a plaque to my father in law at the bar in Searsons lol

Comment

Ever-Ready Batteries

Not sure of when this opened, but my mother started work there about 1929.
        Here's an early photo of the assembly line there:
        Attached Files
        Do what you love - love what you do.

Comment

Not sure of when this opened, but my mother started work there about 1929.
          Here's an early photo of the assembly line there:
          I remember us kids breaking into the factory in the 50's just to have a look,,the stink was terrible.nothing much for us kids there except some carbon sticks which we used for graffiti,,harmless in those days.
          Me Day worked for the Dublin Artisans and had a little workshop opposite the place.
          I'm a Freeborn Man of the Travellin' People

Comment

Great Pictures, wish there many more,havent seen many of the Portobello area on here, I worked for GA Britains in the 60's,it overlooked the Portobello Hospital,remember seeing Mick Jagger going in the with Marianne Faithful,when she had a drug problem.

Comment

Portobello

Portobello came into existence as a small suburb south of the city of Dublin in the 18th century, centred around Richmond St. During the following century it was completely developed, transforming an area of private estates and farmland into solid Victorian red-bricked living quarters for the middle classes (on the larger streets), and terraced housing bordering the canal for the working classes.

As a fast-expanding suburb during the 19th century Portobello attracted many upwardly-mobile families whose members went on to play important roles in politics, the arts and the sciences (I'll go into this in more detail later).

Here's a map showing Portobello in 1840.
              Attached Files

Comment

Tragedy at Portobello Bridge

At 9 o’clock on the evening of Saturday, 6 April 1861 near Portobello Bridge, a horse-drawn bus, driven by Patrick Hardy, had just dropped off a passenger and started up the steep incline of the bridge when one of the horses started to rear. The driver tried to turn the horses but both horses became uncontrollable with fear and backed the bus through the wooden rails of the bridge. The bus, horses and six passengers inside the bus, plunged into the dark cold waters of the canal lock, which was about 20 feet deep, with 10 feet of water at the bottom. The conductor was able to jump clear and a passing policeman pulled the driver from the water. Despite the frantic efforts of passers-by, in particular a constable and a soldier from Portobello Barracks who broke their way into the submerged bus, all inside were drowned. One of those killed was the father of the Gunne brothers, who opened the Gaiety Theatre. Two were mothers, each with a little girl, one of them a niece of Daniel O'Connell.

The repercussions of this tragedy were felt for a long time in the area. Passengers on horse-drawn vehicles had to alight at Portobello Bridge and walk across the bridge before continuing their journey. According to some accounts, on the night of the accident a brilliant light was seen to rise from the canal water and turn into a human shape. They say the ghost of a lock-keeper, who drowned himself after being sacked for drunkenness, was to blame for the tragedy.

This sketch shows a horse-drawn tram passing over the bridge in the 1880s:
                Attached Files

Comment

About this street, with folklore and photos old and new.

Despite the downturn of recent years, new developments are taking place around here.

This old restaurant was closed since the 70s at least, now re-opened with a new theme (tea!).
                  From my memory Wall & Keogh was a Paint Store and never a Restaurent

but I could be wrong. Just up from that shop there was a great Sweet Shop called

O'Brien's.It was beside Caroline Records a place I bought many 45's ( Singles )

and eventually graduated to buying L.P.'s (Albums ) in the dark dim distant past.
                  Last edited by camden; 07-04-2012, 08:59 PM.

Comment

At 9 o’clock on the evening of Saturday, 6 April 1861 near Portobello Bridge, a horse-drawn bus, driven by Patrick Hardy, had just dropped off a passenger and started up the steep incline of the bridge when one of the horses started to rear. The driver tried to turn the horses but both horses became uncontrollable with fear and backed the bus through the wooden rails of the bridge. The bus, horses and six passengers inside the bus, plunged into the dark cold waters of the canal lock, which was about 20 feet deep, with 10 feet of water at the bottom. The conductor was able to jump clear and a passing policeman pulled the driver from the water. Despite the frantic efforts of passers-by, in particular a constable and a soldier from Portobello Barracks who broke their way into the submerged bus, all inside were drowned. One of those killed was the father of the Gunne brothers, who opened the Gaiety Theatre. Two were mothers, each with a little girl, one of them a niece of Daniel O'Connell.

The repercussions of this tragedy were felt for a long time in the area. Passengers on horse-drawn vehicles had to alight at Portobello Bridge and walk across the bridge before continuing their journey. According to some accounts, on the night of the accident a brilliant light was seen to rise from the canal water and turn into a human shape. They say the ghost of a lock-keeper, who drowned himself after being sacked for drunkenness, was to blame for the tragedy.

This sketch shows a horse-drawn tram passing over the bridge in the 1880s:
                    good bit of info AD never heard that story before

Comment

This started out as a hotel at the harbour which opened in 1807. In 1858 it was taken over by a Catholic order of nuns, who used it as an asylum (St. Mary's) for blind girls. A few years later they successfully appealed to the Guardians of the South Dublin Union for some finance (it cost £10 to keep a girl for a year), though the Irish Times in an editorial frowned upon this proselytising by "Romanists", while they lauded the efforts of the Protestant-run "Home for Orphans" at 7 South Richmond Street (which advertised frequently for "fresh souls to save" in the same newspaper).

Ten years later the Asylum was sold to a Mr. Isaac Cole, who renovated it and returned it to its original function as a hotel, to accommodate 100 persons. It was popular among officers visiting the nearby Portobello Barracks (who would occasionally pop across South Richmond Street to the Grand Canal Tavern for a drink) and claimed it was the nearest hotel to the RDS grounds. A troupe of entertainers on tour were staying there when the 1916 Rising broke out, and Davies pub across the road by occupied by the rebels. They couldn't get a wink of sleep that night due to the excitement. Later the building became a nursing home.

This must be one of the first pictures of the place:
                      I worked in it a few years ago never thought to find anything out about it. It was owned by the Institute of Education who bought up a lot of the property around that area. It is idle now I think

Comment

Originally posted by camden View Post
                        From my memory Wall & Keogh was a Paint Store and never a Restaurent

but I could be wrong. Just up from that shop there was a great Sweet Shop called

O'Brien's.It was beside Caroline Records a place I bought many 45's ( Singles )

and eventually graduated to buying L.P.'s (Albums ) in the dark dim distant past.
                        you are right there,,paint and wallpaper shop

Comment

Joe the Bandbox closed down in 1954!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                          The mind is everything. What you think you become.

Comment

I would have thought The Bandbox closed in the early Sixties but like a lot of

things as you get older time plays tricks on you.I would say around 1962 ?

But as Esther Rantzen used to say on That's Life " But If You Know Better "

Comment

Unless the Bandbox moved to another site on the street.....but I looked it up and it said it was in no 4a South Richmond St from 1947 - 1954......which was way before my time.....but I seem to remember seeing the name when I was a kid around the area
                              The mind is everything. What you think you become.

Comment

I remember it being there in the early 60's when I was around but I'm not

sure when it closed down.I stood at the bus stop outside The Bandbox many

times or as Harry Moore said " For More Years Than I Care To Remember "

Never went into the place.I often got chips from the back door with a friend.

Comment

Working...
                                X