• Time
  • Show
Clear All

A photo of Camden St I took last year.
    Attached Files
    Do what you love - love what you do.

Comment

Originally posted by camden View Post
      That Collection Box mentioned earlier was on the railings on the next building

to the right of the buliding in this photo,going down into a Box in the " Area "

Often wondered if they collected much and was that where they got the

Half Crowns they kindly gave to us Alter Boys at Christmas and Easter.

Could'nt have been really as the coins we got always looked brand new.
      So,thats where me poor Da's donations went
      I'm a Freeborn Man of the Travellin' People

Comment

Originally posted by Auld Decency View Post
        Here's one of the K family whom Dinny should know (on left) singing in Jerry O'Connell's last year.

Looks like Fintan.....but looks more like an old friend of mine John Moran
        The mind is everything. What you think you become.

Comment

Originally posted by camden View Post
          The shop was called The Ideal.I don't recall anybody calling it by that name.

Is'nt it strange how the brain holds all this really useless information ?

It was a great hangout for me and my friend John.He went away to live in

London around 1960.I'm glad to say I'm still in touch with John.I try to see

him in London when I'm there on business.He's only been back to Dublin

twice in all that time but I think I've convinced him to come over this year.

John lived in Harcourt Street and then in Harrington Street before he went

to London with his Mother.His Father had already left some time before that.

The Ideal ....i REMEMBER NOW!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by dinny View Post
            Looks like Fintan.....but looks more like an old friend of mine John Moran
            Yes, it's Fintan. And that's Martin Black with the guitar on the right. It was a send-off for Paddy O'Neill. We started playing about 2:30 and finished up about 12:30!

Comment

Yeah ..Knew Martin alright.......the guy sitting in the seat at the top with the guitar beside him...looks like our... poster php

Comment

Two photos of Lower Camden St., the top one from 2006 and the other from a couple of months ago, showing the changes within a short few years.

The red building on the left was the residence of Thomas Pleasants ((1729-1818, after whom Pleasants St. is named). He gave £12,000 in 1814 for the erection of a large stove-house near Cork St. for poor weavers in the Liberties, £8,000 for the building of the Meath Hospital, and his own house in Camden St. for the provision of a girls' school and orphanage, along with £1,200 per annum to run it and extra money provided for dowries for the girls (only applied to Protestants, though). He donated his large library and a large sum of money to the RDS. He was madly in love with his wife, Mildred Gaunt, and was devastated when she died in 1814.
                Attached Files

Comment

The building in the photograph with Enable Ireland and Irish Cancer Society

was in my time The Star Furnishing Company and to the best of my memory

a family called Owens lived on the top floor of this building.I think the furniture

store was burned down and never re-opened.Don't think the family was still

living there when this happened.You're correct about changes in this street.

It would appear to me that the only growth in this area is in Charity shops.

I've bought and donated to them and they always seem to be very busy.

Not sure what this tells me about the what's happening in Dublin.Are they

busy because we are being generous or are people buying because they are

having a difficult time and this is all they can afford to buy for their families.

The same situation with Charity shops seems to apply to Rathmines .I'm not

complaining but is this a new trend forced by the downturn in our economy ?

Comment

i donno about dublin camden, but i know for sure here in durham ontario where i live you can see and assess the economy by the crowds in the charity stores here..and also in the lower price grocery stores..the stores are always pretty busy cos they have a following of young families looking for bargains and students trying to stretch their $$s...but when the economy starts feeling pain you see a different type of clientele moving in...and the malls are emptier..

Comment

great photos auld dec....

Comment

Thanks MKM. I'm sure you're right about the economic problems hitting home here in Dublin, and, like camden, I was wondering about the abundance of charity shops along the "golden mile" from Oxfam in George's St to Barnardo's in Rathmines. I managed a charity shop in an affluent area of Dublin a few years ago and we were deluged with women and families, including those that could be regarded as so-called "upper-working class" or "middle-class". I heard some real hard-luck stories during my time there.

However, a number of upmarket shops, bars and cafés/restaurants have been opening mainly on the East side of Camden St and Richmond St (the "sunny side of the street") so it's not all doom and gloom. Camden St is holding its own, imho, but Richmond St is being vandalized by that voracious shower of "developers" and "speculators".

Remember this, camden?
                        Attached Files

Comment

one thing though....when we were in dublin last year i thought i saw an aura of well being everywhere..ive never seen stores as packed ever...restaurants and bars packed...but then we were around the city centre much of the time so maybe we got a different view to those elsewhere..

Comment

Originally posted by Mykidsmom View Post
                            one thing though....when we were in dublin last year i thought i saw an aura of well being everywhere..ive never seen stores as packed ever...restaurants and bars packed...but then we were around the city centre much of the time so maybe we got a different view to those elsewhere..
                            Some groups of people have been hit very hard, like those dependent on construction and other industries that have gone to the wall, and youngsters pouring out of college looking for a job, and those on high mortgages and many working in service industries, etc., that depended on the income from these groups - that's a few hundred thousand in total. BUT, according to the Household Budget Survey released this year by the CSO the average weekly household disposable income in Ireland is €885, which I believe is higher than most other first-world countries - for the top 10% it's €2,289. So another few hundred thousand people have a lot of dosh. I see it in my own circle of friends - those without a job or on low income are just getting by, while those in a stable job are paying their mortgages and have cars and take 2-3 holidays a year.

Comment

Originally posted by Auld Decency View Post
                              Some groups of people have been hit very hard, like those dependent on construction and other industries that have gone to the wall, and youngsters pouring out of college looking for a job, and those on high mortgages and many working in service industries, etc., that depended on the income from these groups - that's a few hundred thousand in total. BUT, according to the Household Budget Survey released this year by the CSO the average weekly household disposable income in Ireland is €885, which I believe is higher than most other first-world countries - for the top 10% it's €2,289. So another few hundred thousand people have a lot of dosh. I see it in my own circle of friends - those without a job or on low income are just getting by, while those in a stable job are paying their mortgages and have cars and take 2-3 holidays a year.
                              Well if I had a disposable income of €885 per week I'd not be complaining or protesting!!!!

Comment

From 1978. You can see the "Star" on the right.
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by Auld Decency; 12-09-2012, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X