camden street

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Auld Decency View Post
    From the 70s, I suppose. You can see the "Star" on the right.
    Looking at the shops and see Tele Rents! remember when most people rented their TVs and the man collected the money at the door? You might have the same tele for years and would have paid for it 10 times over but wouldn't dream of actually buying one . Seems so stange now lol

Comment

We got our tele from there and our furniture from the Star across the road.
      Do what you love - love what you do.

Comment

My mother was born and reared in Camden Buildings ,the house was only sold about 15 yrs ago , when my gran died.

Comment

Must have been during the 50's when the farthing was being taken out of

circulation Boland's Bakery in Camden Street issued small pieces of printed

cardboard as change when they did'nt have the coins to make up the change.

Can you imagine that happening today.The Bakery shop eventually closed

and became a jewellery store.It was one shop away from Camden Buildings.

Comment

Is that the jewellery shop, camden? It's located between the two entrances to Camden Buildings.

I don't remember the bakery, but I remember the tokens being used in the Monument Creamery at 46 Upper Baggot Street (now Langkawi Asian Restaurant). If they ran out of tokens they just wrote one by hand on a piece of paper. I didn't know what they were doing then - I was four at the time.
            Attached Files

Comment

That's the building OK.That was Boland's Bakery and the family living above

were called Haynes.Two brothers Roy & Derek.Their father was a shoemaker.

Comment

Originally posted by camden View Post
                That's the building OK.That was Boland's Bakery and the family living above

were called Haynes.Two brothers Roy & Derek.Their father was a shoemaker.
                Hung around with Derek for awhile....he used to go out with a lovely red haired girl....can't remember her name
                The mind is everything. What you think you become.

Comment

Originally posted by dinny View Post
                  Hung around with Derek for awhile....he used to go out with a lovely red haired girl....can't remember her name
                  Went to school with Roy but did'nt really know him very well.Derek was

younger and also in Synge Street.I have'nt seen them for about 50 years !!!!!

Comment

Haven't seen Derek in years....he was a good drummer I can recall

Comment

Haven't seen Derek in years....he was a good drummer I can recall
                      I'd forgotton about him being a Drummer.Do you remember who he played with

As I've said before it amazing how much stuff stored upstairs we've forgotton

about until somebody mentions something and it all floods back again.

Comment

Can't recall him playing with any group...

Comment

Can't recall him playing with any group...
                          For some reason I thought he'd played with Alan Dee but I've just remembered

that Derek Boston was the Drummer with Alan.Derek eventually went on to

play with Edison Lighthouse.He was telling me some time ago about the hugh

amount of travelling he had to do in places like Sweden for some of the Gigs.

Like 6 or 7 hours for a Gig lasting about and hour then drive back home again.

Don't know if he's still playing.Last time we spoke he was working in Santry.

Comment

Originally posted by camden View Post
                            For some reason I thought he'd played with Alan Dee but I've just remembered

that Derek Boston was the Drummer with Alan.Derek eventually went on to

play with Edison Lighthouse.He was telling me some time ago about the hugh

amount of travelling he had to do in places like Sweden for some of the Gigs.

Like 6 or 7 hours for a Gig lasting about and hour then drive back home again.

Don't know if he's still playing.Last time we spoke he was working in Santry.
                            i worked with terry howlett in the late fifties......i think he was from portobello area....and he played in a band.....anybody know of him........
                            Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Camden St fire 3 February 2012

There's been a few fires in Camden St over the past year or so.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Eddie Rocket's fire

Fire over Eddie Rocket's last year - the second in the space of a month.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X