same sex marriage repealed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• same sex marriage repealed.

Bermuda has become the first country to repeal the same sex marriage, it will recognise same sex relationships but not the title of 'marriage' .
    in god i trust...everyone else cash only.

Sure yill have some wantin te marry dor cats n dogs next....feck sake.
    We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

more......

It is 'not be appropriate' to intervene in Bermuda's decision, a foreign office minister said

seems the UK govt. has the power to overrule the repeal (all getting a but complicated lol) but isn't going to out of respect for Bermuda's rights to self-governance.......guess that's fair enough, though it's very small-minded to undo such recent legislation.......why are people so bothered about other people's relationship status? None of their business, lots more important stuff to be getting steamed up about.

Comment

Originally posted by KatieMorag View Post
        more......

It is 'not be appropriate' to intervene in Bermuda's decision, a foreign office minister said

seems the UK govt. has the power to overrule the repeal (all getting a but complicated lol) but isn't going to out of respect for Bermuda's rights to self-governance.......guess that's fair enough, though it's very small-minded to undo such recent legislation.......why are people so bothered about other people's relationship status? None of their business, lots more important stuff to be getting steamed up about.
        True....I couldn't give a flyin fid what they do tbh.
        We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

maybe they should say at the ceremony....I now pronounce you 'unsingled'.....

Comment

Serious enough matter up the north... it's one of the issues holding up agreement between SF and the DUP on reconvening the assembly.

The DUP have vetoed any attempt on same sex marriage legislation in the north - though the majority in the assembly support it.
            Everything is self-evident.

Comment

Originally posted by cogito View Post
              Serious enough matter up the north... it's one of the issues holding up agreement between SF and the DUP on reconvening the assembly.

The DUP have vetoed any attempt on same sex marriage legislation in the north - though the majority in the assembly support it.
              can you explain that in a little more detail[s] , cogs.

Comment

Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
                Sure yill have some wantin te marry dor cats n dogs next....feck sake.
                What’s wrong with that I’m married to a dog for the last 40 years and that’s cat.But I love her LOL

Comment

I didn't mean it wasn't an important issue, if that's how my post came across. Just don't get the petty-mindedness of those that went to the trouble of overturning the legislation.

Comment

I wasn't addressing or quoting anyone Katie... just the topic in general.

Comment

I wasn't addressing or quoting anyone Katie... just the topic in general.
                      i know, just wanted to clarify.

Comment

Originally posted by cosmo View Post
                        can you explain that in a little more detail[s] , cogs.
                        From the Belfast Telegraph two days ago...

'Teenagers demanding marriage equality in Northern Ireland are to deliver a petition to Stormont on Valentine's Day.

They want same-sex marriage to be guaranteed as part of any deal to save the devolved institutions.

Failing that, they want the UK Government to deliver equality legislation at Westminster.

Cameron Brown (18) from Belfast said: "When I'm a bit older, I want to be able to marry the love of my life. Why would the Government want to stop me doing that?

"Marriage equality isn't simply an aspiration. It is a right and it's our demand of our politicians."

Same-sex marriage is among a number of stumbling blocks to agreement between political parties at Stormont.

Issues around Irish language rights and dealing with the legacy of Northern Ireland's toxic past must also be resolved.

Those behind the online petition are members of the Cara-Friend youth group in Belfast.

It is the latest phase in the Love Equality campaign which is supported by Amnesty International, the Rainbow Project and a number of trade unions.

Amelia Clarke (18) from Belfast said: "One day I want to be able to get married with my family and friends around me. Is that too much to ask? We are asking people to sign our petition for equality. It's time that Northern Ireland respected all its citizens."

Northern Ireland is the only part of the UK or Ireland which bans marriage for same-sex couples.

In 2015 a majority of MLAs in the Assembly voted to support equal marriage, but the measure was blocked by the use of a controversial voting mechanism designed to protect the rights of minorities.

Shay Love (18) from Belfast said: "I refuse to be a second-class citizen in my own country.

"We don't want much - we just want to be treated equally."

Last week representatives from Love Equality met with senior figures from the DUP for the first time but expressed disappointment that the party could not give a commitment it would not block any future same-sex marriage legislation.'

Belfast Telegraph

Comment

Totally ridiculous - and somewhat ironic - that the very people who are so emphatic about their identity as UK citizens want to distance themselves from the rest of the UK over this issue........

Comment

Why do people think that their definition of a couple or family is the correct definition. Love is love. As long as everyone is legally an adult - I'm all for it. Live and let live!!

Comment

Working...
                            X