The Old Royal Oak, Kilmainham Lane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Old Royal Oak, Kilmainham Lane

I'm hoping someone out there can help me. I've been trying to find out something about the history of the Royal Oak, Kilmainham Lane. Seosamh O'Broin has a chapter on the pubs of Inchicore and Kilmainham, old and new, but there isn't a mention of the Royal Oak. As far as I know it opened somewhere between 1839 and 1845 and whatever mention I have found of it suggests it was opened to serve the inmates and staff of the old Royal Hospital. It's been in the hands of the Costello family for the best part of 50 years but beyond that, I know nothing. Can anyone shed any light?
    Ideally, I'd like to hear any anecdotes or historical references you might have to the pub. The Garda station on Kilmainham Lane, I've been told but don't know for certain, might've been the RIC barracks at one time.
    Last edited by Hannibalthehat; 23-08-2017, 06:20 PM. Reason: more tags

Originally posted by Hannibalthehat View Post
    I'm hoping someone out there can help me. I've been trying to find out something about the history of the Royal Oak, Kilmainham Lane. Sesame O'Broin has a chapter on the pubs of Inchicore and Kilmainham, old and new, but there isn't a mention of the Royal Oak. As far as I know it opened somewhere between 1839 and 1845 and whatever mention I have found of it suggests it was opened to serve the inmates and staff of the old Royal Hospital. It's been in the hands of the Costello family for the best part of 50 years but beyond that, I know nothing. Can anyone shed any light?

I'd say Riposte would be the man for that ....If he doesn't know nobody will
    The mind is everything. What you think you become.

Comment

Sparse information on this little pub....and when I phoned it just ten minutes ago I kept getting an answer but then the line made a weird noise and I was cut off....this happened three times.....on the third occasion I managed to establish that whoever was answering the phone could hear me....his answer was yes....followed by "would ye ever go and fuk off" Charming.... obviously he thought I was a bogus caller and told me where te go.... I just called again twice in a row and the a recorder message now tells me the mail box of John Costello is full....and cuts off.... They need a telephone engineer....

Anyway, I managed to harvest a bit of info from other sources and now my appetite is whetted I will ask my old pal Seasamh O'Broin for more info next time I call him.... he's the man whos lived up that way for over 80 years.

Established in 1845.

The current proprietor took over the business forty years ago and it opened under that management on the 8th December 1972.

Before that, it was owned by the Fortune family. The business started trading in the 1840s and as can be ascertained from the name, it served the clientele of the Royal Hospital.

The present Garda Station which is opposite the Old Royal Oak served as an alternative entrance into the Hospital.

This facilitated the retired soldiers with a shorter walk to the public house. Nowadays, it aims to quench the thirst of all in the Kilmainham area and beyond.

Seosamh O'Broin with the Boul Oul and wonderful author Liam O'Meara at the signing of Liam's book in Kilmainham.... Liam is one of our own here at the Forum.

2. Copy of Seosamh's finest and most comprehensive book on Inchicore Kilmainham and districh.....there's nothing that man doesn't know about the place.....and a gentleman of gentlemen.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by DAMNTHEWEATHER; 23-08-2017, 03:27 PM.
      We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

The Old Royal Oak

I've tried Seosamh's book but while he mentions almost every pub there is or has been in the neighbourhood of Kilmainham and Inchicore, there's not a sausage about the Old Royal Oak. I tried Eamon Casey's Dublin Pub Saunter but nothing there, either. Kearns' Dublin Pub Life is another book I must try but the only copy I can get hold of is in the National Library. There's another book called The Irish Public House but, given the scarcity of information on the pub in the most obvious sources, I don't hold out for getting anything there. I've even gone through all four issues of the Inchicore and Kilmainham periodicals published by the Inchicore and Kilmainham Heritage and Environment group in the '90s but not a mention there, either. Thanks for getting back to me. What you've sent me is more than I had before so that's a step in the right direction.

Comment

Originally posted by Hannibalthehat View Post
          I've tried Seosamh's book but while he mentions almost every pub there is or has been in the neighbourhood of Kilmainham and Inchicore, there's not a sausage about the Old Royal Oak. I tried Eamon Casey's Dublin Pub Saunter but nothing there, either. Kearns' Dublin Pub Life is another book I must try but the only copy I can get hold of is in the National Library. There's another book called The Irish Public House but, given the scarcity of information on the pub in the most obvious sources, I don't hold out for getting anything there. I've even gone through all four issues of the Inchicore and Kilmainham periodicals published by the Inchicore and Kilmainham Heritage and Environment group in the '90s but not a mention there, either. Thanks for getting back to me. What you've sent me is more than I had before so that's a step in the right direction.
          Just call over to the pub and ask them....they will or should have the deeds. I told you I called their landline three times and the fella who answered thought I was a crank and the third time told me in no uncertain terms te "fuk off".

Just call in or write to them.....

Comment

Anyone in dublin gonna pop in this pub and ask about the history....this one's ben buggin for a while....esp after the bloke on the phone thought I was a crank because of a bad line and told me te Foxtrot Oscar.

Comment

Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
              Just call over to the pub and ask them....they will or should have the deeds. I told you I called their landline three times and the fella who answered thought I was a crank and the third time told me in no uncertain terms te "fuk off".

Just call in or write to them.....
              I didn't know about the Inchicore/Kilmainham periodicals. They might have a mention of my great grandfather's pub, The Railway Tavern. That was also situated on the High Road. It is a path worth following. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Vico2 View Post
                I didn't know about the Inchicore/Kilmainham periodicals. They might have a mention of my great grandfather's pub, The Railway Tavern. That was also situated on the High Road. It is a path worth following. Thanks
                Yes of course....all and any leads are worthwhile...esp the census records and all Irish news archive...and all Directories and Almanacs....and Electoral Registers.... We need JD in here now.....lol.

Comment

Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
                  Yes of course....all and any leads are worthwhile...esp the census records and all Irish news archive...and all Directories and Almanacs....and Electoral Registers.... We need JD in here now.....lol.
                  Absolutely DR thanks again for all your help

Comment

Originally posted by Vico2 View Post
                    Absolutely DR thanks again for all your help
                    Well....I'm a sucker for the history mysteries...let's know if ye find anything else....ill have another look around on and off too.

Comment

Here is mention of an
                      M 'O Reilly of the Old Royal Oak Kilmainham
                      supplying the catering at the Baldoyle and Newgrove (Raheny area) Race meetings
                      September 1874
                      Attached Files

Comment

Mention of
                        Joseph T Glover 1912
                        Attached Files

Comment

Executors sale 1943
                          On the death of Mrs Mary Kennedy
                          Plus numbers 7 and 8 Kilmainham Lane as part of the same estate
                          You will notice the lease started in 1840
                          Attached Files

Comment

Well done JD on top of it once again...... Interesting info there....best yet.

Comment

Working...
                            X