Loughinisland Massacre Documentary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KatieMorag View Post
    is "provisional" the same thing as "republican", though? I mean "unionist" surely means someone who is in favour of the Union, whether or not they belong to a political or paramilitary organisation; wouldn't it be the same for Republicans?
    The IRA as we knew it before the recent troubles were not in favour of civilian targets that harmed the people of Ireland......The break-away/new group then became the PIRA....
    Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Originally posted by quinner View Post
      The IRA as we knew it before the recent troubles were not in favour of civilian targets that harmed the people of Ireland......The break-away/new group then became the PIRA....
      true, i was just wondering to what extent the "provisionals" were representative of "republicans" in general

think i'm just confused about the SDLP, did they want a united Ireland or just power sharing?
      and i'm confused by the two terms "republicanism" (in the context of Ireland) and "nationalism".......what's the difference, again just in an Irish context?
      Last edited by KatieMorag; 05-11-2017, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cogito View Post
        Enniskillen was carried out by the Provisional IRA - by 'provisional movement' I meant them and Sinn Féin - they represented republicanism in the context of the times.

Loyalist paramilitaries never had their own broad political movement in the sense that republicans had - we have to assume whatever party political allegiances they had (and have) went to the mainstream Unionist parties like the UUP and DUP.

I suppose we could make the generalisation that loyalism represents the more hardline or militant side of Unionism.
        and "republicanism" represents the more hardline or militant side of "Nationalim"......think I've worked it out now so ignore previous post......

Comment

Originally posted by KatieMorag View Post
          true, i was just wondering to what extent the "provisionals" were representative of "republicans" in general

think i'm just confused about the SDLP, did they want a united Ireland or just power sharing?
          and i'm confused by the two terms "republicanism" (in the context of Ireland) and "nationalism".......what's the difference, again just in an Irish context?

That can only be counted at the polling Stations....Keeping in mind that ''Pressure'' was used by both communities......

far as I remember the SDLP wanted support from all sides......They wanted the people to vote as they would want to vote....Not as they felt ''they had to vote''.....

Depends on who said they were what.....

David Irvine put it in a Nutshell.....''they go around shouting ''Brits out''....That means they want me out''.......Where on earth do I go to, this is my home.....

Comment

Originally posted by quinner View Post
            That can only be counted at the polling Stations....Keeping in mind that ''Pressure'' was used by both communities......

far as I remember the SDLP wanted support from all sides......They wanted the people to vote as they would want to vote....Not as they felt ''they had to vote''.....

Depends on who said they were what.....

David Irvine put it in a Nutshell.....''they go around shouting ''Brits out''....That means they want me out''.......Where on earth do I go to, this is my home.....
            That would be like the Aborigines in Australia telling everybody else to go home......

Comment

Working...
            X