Dublin Street Characters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by quinner View Post
    So he mashed the kids who taunted him.....
    later on he 'smashed' them "for mash get smash".
    We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

• when you think about it now, they were all harmless individuals who fell on hard times for one reason or another, just like todays homeless, wouldn`t like to be looking forward to the coming winter on the streets.
      in god i trust...everyone else cash only.

Comment

• Originally posted by cosmo View Post
        when you think about it now, they were all harmless individuals who fell on hard times for one reason or another, just like todays homeless, wouldn`t like to be looking forward to the coming winter on the streets.
        difference bein our lot were entertaining and colourful......the modern lot seem te be a bit too fond ih de oul gargle more often than not.......mind you oi wouldnt wish a hard winter in the doorways on the worst of spunkers let alone gen homeless

Comment

• Robert Gahan writing for the Dublin Historical Record in 1939, tells us of a street character called 'UNCLE' who roamed the streets of Dublin round the year 1874.

Uncle whose real name was unknown, gained his nickname from singing a song once popular. "Tommy Make Room For Your Uncle" He was a robust personage, with powerful lungs, so that hearers several streets distant had timely notice of his approach. He played in a trio with two other characters called Dunbar and Hamlet.....always engaged in street ballads ....with Dunbar keping time with the bones.....a set in each hand at which he was an adept.

Comment

• Does anyone know of Matt the jap? (That was his moniker) he was around from the 70s as far as I know, and well into the 90s. He was actually a professor in tcd at one stage, I think, they certainly took care of him anyway. But he was deaf and dumb so would go around with reams of (sometimes sprocketed from the old word processor) paper, and ask to be bought a pint? Especially around south inner city, if graftion st qualifies 😂 I remember him from Sheehan’s, nearys, the palace etc

Comment

• Originally posted by Ruth67 View Post
              Does anyone know of Matt the jap? (That was his moniker) he was around from the 70s as far as I know, and well into the 90s. He was actually a professor in tcd at one stage, I think, they certainly took care of him anyway. But he was deaf and dumb so would go around with reams of (sometimes sprocketed from the old word processor) paper, and ask to be bought a pint? Especially around south inner city, if graftion st qualifies 😂 I remember him from Sheehan’s, nearys, the palace etc
              Bit after my time.....but the magic of Google = Matubara (73), known affectionately to generations of Trinity College students as "Matt the Jap", died of natural causes in his home off Mount Street almost two weeks ago. Gardaí broke into the flat after food which had been left at his door remained untouched for days.

Comment

• Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
                Bit after my time.....but the magic of Google = Matubara (73), known affectionately to generations of Trinity College students as "Matt the Jap", died of natural causes in his home off Mount Street almost two weeks ago. Gardaí broke into the flat after food which had been left at his door remained untouched for days.
                https://www.irishtimes.com/news/trin...e-jap-1.987349
                Thanks, I wonder if anyone has any pics? I’m so annoyed that I have no pic but we didn’t do that!! Well before the selfie age.

Comment

Thanks, I wonder if anyone has any pics? I’m so annoyed that I have no pic but we didn’t do that!! Well before the selfie age.
                  Seems there are some around https://www.boards.ie/b/thread/187840
                  I'll dig up some the photos from the photo shoot that I did with Matteo last year for TN. I have them hand on a CD but won't be able to get to them till next week probably... He knows how to pose let me tell ya*

Comment

Seems there are some around https://www.boards.ie/b/thread/187840
                    Also, while I’m at it, the Belgian flower seller. V nice person, but always so sad.

Comment

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/trin...e-jap-1.987349
                      Well, there are a few stories about Matt the jap, I can definitely validate some! He went to a party with some people I know, back in the 80s, and partook of some fungi. There were notes found around the house afterwards.

Comment

Also, while I’m at it, the Belgian flower seller. V nice person, but always so sad.
                        Don't know....pse tell ?.

Comment

Well, there are a few stories about Matt the jap, I can definitely validate some! He went to a party with some people I know, back in the 80s, and partook of some fungi. There were notes found around the house afterwards.
                          Oh O !!!! Tell more ?.

Comment

Matt-the-jap is the last of the Samurai After WW2 he could not return to Japan as he must live the life of a hermit forever more as his dishonour to his country forbids anything more

Comment

• Another two on the north side were "Mary Ockey" and Mad Essie" any more info out there ?.
                              Then there was "Corney Neill the King" ?.

Comment

Does anyone know of Matt the jap? (That was his moniker) he was around from the 70s as far as I know, and well into the 90s. He was actually a professor in tcd at one stage, I think, they certainly took care of him anyway. But he was deaf and dumb so would go around with reams of (sometimes sprocketed from the old word processor) paper, and ask to be bought a pint? Especially around south inner city, if graftion st qualifies �� I remember him from Sheehan’s, nearys, Lucky Patcher 9Apps VidMate the palace etc
                                kicked the bucket of regular causes in his home off Mount Street right around about fourteen days back. Gardaí broke into the level after sustenance which had been left at his entryway stayed immaculate for quite a long time
                                Last edited by rossi; 28-01-2019, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X