No announcement yet.

Obelisks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is an obelisk out in Dalkey/Kiliney Hill, can't think of its name but was told it was brought over here from France. Think i have a picture of it on my Facebook photos
    UP THE DUBS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
      I don't think this qualifies to be honest, if we are to believe the experts. Seems people called and still call some things obelisks, that are not quite the ticket.

A robust and rustic obelisk in the middle of the market square dedicated to the 2nd Viscount de Vesci. Category : Architecture of Laois
      Tags : 1860, Abbeyleix, Co. Laois, J.S. Butler, memorials, monument
      it looks bigger in real life

Comment

Originally posted by Suzieq View Post
        There is an obelisk out in Dalkey/Kiliney Hill, can't think of its name but was told it was brought over here from France. Think i have a picture of it on my Facebook photos
        It's more a Folly than an Obelisk SQ......Obelisk like but not 'true' in the full sense imo.
        Attached Files
        We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

Originally posted by tinky
          lol yes boss, really do you need to be mr big??
          Trolling and personal insults will not make you look Mr Big.....now please do not try to derail this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by bigby View Post
            it looks bigger in real life
            It's a nice memorial right enough.....Though I've never seen it in real life.

Comment

so where and when was the first one built?

and how many are there in Ireland?

Comment

It's more a Folly than an Obelisk SQ......Obelisk like but not 'true' in the full sense imo.
                Still thats a good photo of it. Last time i saw it was last summer in the early days of my pregnancy. Some of my pals went up to it but i did not bother.

I will add this is an interesting thread here & there is an obelisk at the end of the Champs Elysées in Paris & it is very tall indeed & can be seen on the way down to Rue Rivoli & the Louvre.
                UP THE DUBS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bigby View Post
                  so where and when was the first one built?

and how many are there in Ireland?
                  In Egypt may well have been in Aswan.
                  An obelisk is a stone made monument, much like a column but supporting nothing.
                  Obelisks were erected by Ancient Egyptian for an commemoration.
                  Obelisks were usually made of a single piece of stone.
                  A bird's eye view of obelisk is square and this structure has gradually tapering four sides and its ends in a pyramidal top.
                  Originally, Obelisks originated with the holy stone of sanctuary which served the sun god, Ra, in Heliopolis. It usually made a pair in front of gate or sanctuary, and each side of obelisk was written hymn and results of king in hieroglyph.

Comment

Very interesting thread, apart from the interruptions that is, I'm learning a lot about oblisks...and rudeness!

Comment

Originally posted by Suzieq View Post
                      Still thats a good photo of it. Last time i saw it was last summer in the early days of my pregnancy. Some of my pals went up to it but i did not bother.

I will add this is an interesting thread here & there is an obelisk at the end of the Champs Elysées in Paris & it is very tall indeed & can be seen on the way down to Rue Rivoli & the Louvre.
                      Spot on there SQ it's got that pyramidal cap right nuff........ another for the collection.Thanks.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Would this be classed as a mini Oblisk in the Memorial Gardens
                        Attached Files

Comment

Spot on there SQ it's got that pyramidal cap right nuff........ another for the collection.Thanks.
                          Love the pic. Reminds me of when i was in paris for the New year 2001 with a pal.

This is a great thread - keep it up!!
                          UP THE DUBS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tinky
                            and the cheerleaders are out now
                            Ah heor leave it ouh!!
                            UP THE DUBS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by maire View Post
                              Very interesting thread, apart from the interruptions that is, I'm learning a lot about oblisks...and rudeness!
                              Wont be long M. This one is the longest ever ancient obelisk.....but when they (the Egyptians)
                              just about had it done they found a weakness in the stone and it was left in situ.

The unfinished obelisk is the largest known ancient obelisk and is located in the northern region of the stone quarries of ancient Egypt in Aswan (Assuan), Egypt. Archaeologists claim the pharaoh known as Hatshepsut sanctioned its construction. It is nearly one third larger than any ancient Egyptian obelisk ever erected. If finished it would have measured around 42 m (approximately 137 feet) and would have weighed nearly 1,200 tons.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by jeangenie View Post
                                Would this be classed as a mini Oblisk in the Memorial Gardens
                                Classic lines JG, and has the trademark pyramidal capping.....I'd say yes. Nice one.

Comment

Working...
                                X