100 Years of Women's Suffrage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 100 Years of Women's Suffrage

This year is the centenary of women in Britain - and Ireland - getting the vote for parliamentary elections (some women could already vote in local elections.) It wasn't universal as it was for men, women had to be over 30 and meet certain criteria, but it was a step in the right direction.
    Found this on BBC news site, it's various posters used in the campaign.
    Recently rediscovered 100-year-old posters showing the battle for votes for women are going on show for the first time.

Originally posted by KatieMorag View Post
    This year is the centenary of women in Britain - and Ireland - getting the vote for parliamentary elections (some women could already vote in local elections.) It wasn't universal as it was for men, women had to be over 30 and meet certain criteria, but it was a step in the right direction.
    Found this on BBC news site, it's various posters used in the campaign.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-42875095
    There are incredible stories about the lengths some of the suffragettes went to in their efforts to draw attention to their movement. Emily Davison, Emily Pankhurst and many others achieved what is now taken for granted.
    I google because I'm not young enough to know everything.
    Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit

Comment

For those interested the movie " Suffragette" is on Channel 4 tonight @ 9pm ....
      The mind is everything. What you think you become.

Comment

Originally posted by dinny View Post
        For those interested the movie " Suffragette" is on Channel 4 tonight @ 9pm ....
        sounds good.......as I can't get into All 4 I might actually turn on t'tv

Comment

sounds good.......as I can't get into All 4 I might actually turn on t'tv
          Do you remember how to use the remote

Comment

Do you remember how to use the remote
            funny you should say that.......I always have trouble with the remote lol

Comment

funny you should say that.......I always have trouble with the remote lol
              lol....your not very tech savvy at all.....

Comment

lol....your not very tech savvy at all.....
                er.....no......

Comment

go the women..
                  in god i trust...everyone else cash only.

Comment

I read somewhere - can't remember now - that the term "suffragette" was invented by the press as a somewhat derisive term for the women .....the proper term us "suffragist"........

Comment

Emily Davison (Suffragette) killed by King's Horse at Derby (1913)

I google because I'm not young enough to know everything.
                      Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit

Comment

Not all women were in favour of getting the vote and joined forces with the men to actively campaign against it. We might find it difficult to believe, but you have to put yourself in the context of a century ago. A present-day analogy might be continuing opposition to women priests in the Catholic Church - not so sure what the position is now, but I know women like my mother were opposed to that.

In 1918 some eligible women over the age of 30 were given the right to vote in the UK - but not every woman was happy about it.

Comment

Fighting for Equality: The life of Hanna Sheehy Skeffington. See here
                          UP THE DUBS!!!

Comment

"Votes for women!": Suffragette's granddaughter returns to smash windows at Dublin Castle.. More
                            UP THE DUBS!!!

Comment

Plaque of Hanna Sheehy Skeffington erected in Dublin Castle

Plaque of Hanna Sheehy Skeffington erected in Dublin Castle. Came across the pic on Facebook a few minutes ago.
                              Attached Files
                              UP THE DUBS!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X