X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by cogito View Post
    Have a look at this from Rootschat...

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index...,406100.0.html
    Yeah seen all that chatter, rather stick with this http://dublinforum.net/forum/showpos...7&postcount=14

until someone proves it wrong.
    We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

• Originally posted by Capt Patch View Post
      Wrong.!
      The list under discussion is from March 1920 Capt. - so any discrepancy revolves around whether one or two persons were already on the payroll... if you have an alternative list or if there are factual errors here feel free to indicate them.
      Everything is self-evident.

Comment

• Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
        That's right....he says a few bits that don't make sense. Even Michael Foy in 'Intelligence War' is way off the mark, whereas Frank O'Connor has nothing much to say. Particularly prefer Tim Pat, who agrees with Forester on this one....so I'll stick with that until something new comes up.
        What are Tim Pat and Forester's sources on this particular issue ?

Comment

Not a hitman... he was ...logistics.

You're missing Eddie Byrne and Paddy Griffith.
          McCrea In his own words;

Before I became a member of the squad I was asked. by Paddy Daly if I had any
          objection to shooting policemen.I answered that I was a Volunteer and that I would carry out any orders given to me.When the question of payment arose I stated that I was in business with my brothers, that I did not want to draw on
          the funds and that I could be called on at any time as I was my own master.
          Last edited by DAMNTHEWEATHER; 06-01-2013, 04:00 PM.

Comment

What are Tim Pat and Forester's sources on this particular issue ?
            Probably the best in the world, esp where TPC is concerned.

Comment

• Originally posted by Capt Patch View Post
              I have some information which I picked up reading the interviews in the O'Mally papers and other sources which indicate that Dick McKee disbanded the Dublin ACU due to members getting out of hand and heavy drinking. He then formed the Dublin Guard and some of the others were reorganised into the beginnings of the Squad.... but due to not having the "exact" information to hand (have not yet indexed the info) and knowing how anel some of the members on here are, I offer it only as a comment until further notice.
              Something amiss with the O'Malley papers so...

The Dublin ASU ( Active Service Unit ) was formed in Christmas 1920 and went into action in January 1921. Dick McKee was killed by the British in Dublin Castle on the night before Bloody Sunday... two months earlier.

The Squad pre-dates the ASU by around eighteen months having commenced activities in mid-1919...

ASU were 'fulltime' paid guerrillas - same as the Squad, and were drawn from the various battalions of the Dublin Brigade IRA. Members were selected by Oscar Traynor who was O/C Dublin Brigade following the deaths of McKee and Clancy. Their main role was to carry out round the clock attacks on British Forces in Dublin City... the ASU had between 100 to 120 members.

Following the heavy IRA losses during the burning of the Customs House in April 1921, the ASU and Squad were amalgamated into the Dublin Guard under Paddy Daly's command. The Truce followed a few weeks later...

Comment

• Quote; Major General P.Daly, 41 Nass Road,Inchicore.Dublin.

Early in January 1920 Michael Collins decided to increase the Squad that it would be eight strong, to include Tom Keogh, Jim Slattery, Vincent Byrne and Mick O'Reilly.
                Attached Files

Comment

• They say that the truth is the first casuality of war and maybe it is the same with all this too.?

Comment

• Originally posted by tolka1 View Post
                    They say that the truth is the first casuality of war and maybe it is the same with all this too.?
                    Ha ha ! I think most of them gave their version of events in all honesty, just the oul memory played tricks in some cases. Here's Comdt Paddy Daley, one time leader of the Squad, inspecting the Dublin Guard... later on.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Squad Men Charlie Dalton left...Tom-Kehoe..and..Ben-Byrne.
                      Colonel Commandant Tom Keogh, who was killed in a mine explosion in Macroom. during the hottest periods of fighting.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Surely, the term "12 Apostles" was a term given to a group of men that were 12 in number at the time but not set in stone as different men were available at different times due to personal circumstances.

Comment

• Originally posted by archangel View Post
                          Surely, the term "12 Apostles" was a term given to a group of men that were 12 in number at the time but not set in stone as different men were available at different times due to personal circumstances.
                          i heard, but a long time ago.....

the twelve apostles were called that because of their loyalty to Collins (god).....

whatever he said.....they would do...religiously....
                          Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by archangel View Post
                            Surely, the term "12 Apostles" was a term given to a group of men that were 12 in number at the time but not set in stone as different men were available at different times due to personal circumstances.
                            Not quite, as the term refers to the first chosen twelve.

Comment

• The origin of the term has been attributed to different figures including Austin Stack... and Collins himself.

Comment

• Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
                                Not quite, as the term refers to the first chosen twelve.
                                Bill Stapleton said;

I was informed that I had been selected by G.H.Q. with some others to bring the Squad up to twelve, and they were anxious that I should become a member of it. I was, however, given the option of refusing to join. During this discussion it was explained to me that my background had been very carefully examined and that they knew all about me and would be very anxious to have me. They added, however, that I would have to make myself available whole-time and give up any activities or work on which I was engaged;that I would not receive any salary or wages but a small subsistence allowance which would, they said, be enough to pay my board and lodgings, so to peak. This point was referred to a number of times and the fact that no salary or wages would be paid was emphasised. It was also explained to me that if I became a member it would mean that I could stay no longer at home and that I should be fully available at all times for the Squad activities. I was informed that my membership would now bring the Squad up to a total of twelve.

Comment

Working...
                                X